Just got back from Montego Bay

BrotherCraig

We just got back on Sunday and wanted to give a little info on Montego Bay. We arrived on time into Montego Bay on Wednesday May 6th via the Carnival Magic. When we arrived, we went through the terminal and out to the taxis.

People running the taxi shuttles out front kept telling us that there are no private taxis from there and that we had to get in the JUTA van and it would be $5 per person to get to Doctor's Cave Beach. The van filled up, they closed the doors, and then tried to sell everyone on the island tour and a day at the beach (AqualSol Resort). Some folks bought into it and we kept saying "no thanks! Please take us to Doctor's Cave Beach". They did get aggravated with us and they made an announcement saying Dr's Cave is run down and expensive -- no good. Well, we knew that was not true so we, again, said Dr's Cave. This went on and on for several minutes until the first stop -- Aquasol. They talked about 10 people into going into that place while others stayed on. Aquasol was a dump. They also got a kickback for every customer they dropped off. They got frustrated when we didn't get off of the bus. As we left, we drop up to the Hip Strip and you can see the rest of AquaSol resort -- total dump. I felt bad for those who got scammed.

Anyways, we arrived at Doctor's Cave Beach and we had a great time. $6 to get in and we rented some chairs and umbrellas. The service was outstanding there and it was very clean. They waited on us with exceptional service, the drinks were great, and the food was good. The taxi ride back was crazy and we thought were were going to die but it was all good, mon!

We just got back on Sunday and wanted to give a little info on Montego Bay. We arrived on time into Montego Bay on Wednesday May 6th via the Carnival Magic. When we arrived, we went through the terminal and out to the taxis.

People running the taxi shuttles out front kept telling us that there are no private taxis from there and that we had to get in the JUTA van and it would be $5 per person to get to Doctor's Cave Beach.

So did you ever find out if there were private taxis?

I'm still researching our stop in Montego Bay but things that come to mind are:

1. Rick's in Negril

2. YS Falls

3. Mayfield Falls

4. Croydon Plantation

5. Negril (other)

So much to do in Jamaica that it will take many trips there before I could consider it a place to just to a beach day. :)

Yes, there are private taxis but not sure where. I believe we would have to have walked a little further to the right when we came out of the terminal to grab one.

I will actually hire a guide for the day and then just go where we decide to go. However, the taxi situation you described doesn't sound too awesome. I am guessing there is a special place to meet the private guides that is not too hard to find at the terminal?

This whole scenario would have me so nervous, especially with a child. I have never really cared for Jamaica and have always managed to do a private AI when there that provided the transportation with it. We had thought about doing another cruise (that goes to Jamaica...not because we wanted to go there but because it's on the itinerary) and thought about going to Doctors Cave Beach (we were there once in the 80's). However, if this is what you have to go through, I think I might just pass and stick with the AI again.

The transportation had us a little worried because we had the kids with us. JUTA drove over to the Hip Strip very safely but the taxi on the way back was insane. We loved Doctor's Cave Beach and everyone there was excellent. If we do Jamaica again with the kids though, we will probably stay on the boat and enjoy the waterworks.

The transportation had us a little worried because we had the kids with us. JUTA drove over to the Hip Strip very safely but the taxi on the way back was insane. We loved Doctor's Cave Beach and everyone there was excellent. If we do Jamaica again with the kids though, we will probably stay on the boat and enjoy the waterworks.

You are certainly entitled to do what you want to do and I respect your opinion but I always cringe a little bit when I hear someone say they are thinking about staying on the ship at a particular port. :)

To me there are so many things to see and do in Jamaica that I could not even imagine staying on the ship. I know a lot of people complain about Jamaica but to me their arguments tend to sound a lot like "We don't get off the ship in the U.S. because of Detroit". LOL

Mitsugirly, I am surprised you haven't ventured out more in Jamaica. :)

Where in Dr. Cave did you end up? Did you get down to Margaritaville, or make it over to the pork Pit? We want to do this on our trip next month. What would you suggest is the best way to get a party of 8 from the pier to Dr. cave beach?

Doctor's Cave Beach is a resort. You pay $6 to get in and $5 for umbrellas and chairs. I highly recommend it. The service is outstanding and so is the beach. Get there as soon as you get off of the ship and you will get a good spot at the beach.

We took the JUTA bus over and will never do that again. It was $5 a person but they try very hard to sell you on other places because they get kick backs. Do the Hop On, Hop Off... heard nothing but positive things about it and you can use your Sail and Sign cards.

We never attempted Margaritaville but it is right there near Dr Cave's. We had the Jerk Chicken at Dr's and it was good enough for me.

Mitsugirly, I am surprised you haven't ventured out more in Jamaica. :)

Ehh, well...I had a pretty bad experience the first time I went there (back in the 80's) that has pretty much stuck in my head since. So, I NEVER wanted to return again. However, when our ship we booked was going there, I was pretty forced to either stay on the ship (which I hate doing) or find something that I would feel comfortable with. Booking an AI in Ocho Rios the first time around was a good choice for us. The second time we visited, we booked another AI in Montego Bay. If we return, I will do the same probably. It's just that "comfort" level thing. :eek: :o :p

Ehh, well...I had a pretty bad experience the first time I went there (back in the 80's) that has pretty much stuck in my head since. So, I NEVER wanted to return again. However, when our ship we booked was going there, I was pretty forced to either stay on the ship (which I hate doing) or find something that I would feel comfortable with. Booking an AI in Ocho Rios the first time around was a good choice for us. The second time we visited, we booked another AI in Montego Bay. If we return, I will do the same probably. It's just that "comfort" level thing. :eek: :o :p

In the 80s did you have a tour or tour guide?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the Hop on/Hop off bus still runs? We are going in October and dont really have any plans. We went about 10 years ago, but werent overlyimpressed by the island. This seems like a reasonable option. Does anyone know how much it costs?

Ah, ok.

I hired a guide for the day and would definitely recommend that as there is a lot to see there. :)

What guide do you recommend, or do you just grab one when you arrive at the port? Still not sure what we would like to do, we really didn't want a beach day because we have beach days planned for our other ports, any suggestions are welcomed.

What guide do you recommend, or do you just grab one when you arrive at the port? Still not sure what we would like to do, we really didn't want a beach day because we have beach days planned for our other ports, any suggestions are welcomed.

We used Javia Shaw with knowjamaica.com in the past have and have them booked again for our upcoming cruise.

Him, his Mom Marva, and others can take groups big or small. (I prefer just us)

Here is a video I shot from our trip:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link:

We came into Falmouth which is between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. From Falmouth it is about 30 minutes to Montego Bay and 1 hour to Ocho Rios. So it depends on which port you arrive. If it is Montego Bay I would look into things more on the west side of Jamaica like Martha Brae, Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, Negril, etc. unless you want to take the 1 1/2 hour ride each way to the Ocho attractions. (assuming a full day in port)

We used Javia Shaw with knowjamaica.com in the past have and have them booked again for our upcoming cruise.

Him, his Mom Marva, and others can take groups big or small. (I prefer just us)

Here is a video I shot from our trip:

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Direct link:

We came into Falmouth which is between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. From Falmouth it is about 30 minutes to Montego Bay and 1 hour to Ocho Rios. So it depends on which port you arrive. If it is Montego Bay I would look into things more on the west side of Jamaica like Martha Brae, Mayfield Falls, YS Falls, Negril, etc. unless you want to take the 1 1/2 hour ride each way to the Ocho attractions. (assuming a full day in port)

Thank you, we will be in Montego Bay from 8 til 4 so i will check out the things you suggested, really don't want to spend 3 to 4 hours on a bus.

Night One - Detroit is actually a popular port of call on Great Lakes cruises that serve Europeans visiting the US.

Did not know that but my point in that post was that you cannot judge a whole country by one small part of it. :)

Doctor's Cave Beach is a resort. You pay $6 to get in and $5 for umbrellas and chairs. I highly recommend it. The service is outstanding and so is the beach. Get there as soon as you get off of the ship and you will get a good spot at the beach.

We took the JUTA bus over and will never do that again. It was $5 a person but they try very hard to sell you on other places because they get kick backs. Do the Hop On, Hop Off... heard nothing but positive things about it and you can use your Sail and Sign cards.

We never attempted Margaritaville but it is right there near Dr Cave's. We had the Jerk Chicken at Dr's and it was good enough for me.

Where do you find the Hop On-Hop Off buses/shuttles?

• 3 weeks later...