Port Stop in Basse Terre

mcmarya

Looks like our ship (Prinsendam) stops in Basse Terre instead of Point-a-Pitre. Any experience docking there anyone? Just wondering what kind of experiences we might be able to book at the pier.

• 5 months later...

Since no one responded, I will answer my question for the benefit of anyone who may stop here in the future. I had read that few speak English, Euros are required, and few cruise ships stop at this port, so we were pleasantly surprised by our visit to Guadeloupe. We were met at the pier by native dancers and young women who spoke English. These young women were enrolled in a school program to help them work in tourism. They had all learned English and offered their services as guides on various reasonably priced tours. We signed up for a hike up the Sourfrierre volcano along with 5 others at a cost of $20 each--this was for the driver, the young woman who was our guide refused to accept any payment. There were many other options offered but I don't recall the prices. We were able to pay in USD.

The hike up the volcano was more difficult than expected and we were not very well prepared for the weather conditions encountered--quite cold, windy, and rainy. But, 4 of us made it to the top. It was quite an adventure! The ships' tour, which did include lunch, was $160 pp.