Shopping for a diamond ring. Where to go?

an94

I would like to purchase a diamond ring and need advice where to go. Trying to avoid DI or shops recommended by a cruise line.

Thank you in advance!

We have shopped at Joe's Jewelry since 1999. Love the folks there. We usually go to the 2nd one on the left from the Courthouse. (There is one on the corner ...left side facing Courthouse....but we usually go visit Jack at the store a few stores further down on the left.) If he doesn't have what we are looking for at that location, he takes us to the other location.

Everyone that will respond will have a favorite or two, so I'll throw in mine also.

We've had great experiences at Ballerina's, near the downtown dropoff dock. Lots of selection , great people, good prices.

The same can be said for Dazzling Gems, 10 Front St., up near the Guavaberry Emporium. Danny is the owner and will bend over backwards to help you find what you want at a good price. Buy from him and you will be a repeat customer on your next trip. Have fun with your search! :D

Edited by satbeachbill

Do any of these places let you trade in old jewelry? The place we would go to on St. Thomas would so I wanted to be prepared if they do. Thanks!

Joe's Jewelry.....We have traded in items we bought from them and then wanted to "upgrade". We have not traded in items not purchased from them....however I do know for a fact that a friend did.

Edited by skiiergirl

I'd be willing to bet that they all would take your old jewelry in on trade. What they would give you may be a different story. Gold would be at "melt down" value and small stones would not be worth anything. Kinda like trading in an old car. They'll make it "seem" like it's a deal. If you go in expecting some fantacy retail trade-in for your old things, don't get your hopes up. Now if you have a nice quality diamond with a recent GIA/AGS certificate to trade, that maybe different.

Once you become their customer, then most have some kind of a trade-up policy. Some giving you what you paid for it on a tradeup. (Or they make it seem that way). It's all in the numbers.......and LOTS OF FUN. :D

Not what you want to hear, but truthfully you're better off buying at home. It's lots of fun to scan what's in the jewelry cases when you are on a cruise, but we get much better prices at home. If you're looking for a diamond on the smaller size, maybe under a carat and so-so quality, you'll probably get a decent deal, but for a larger diamond of good quality the prices are high. I never shop for anything smaller than 1 1/2 carats for a diamond with papers certifying it's a great color, cut and clarity, nothing under 2 carats for a nice deep color tanzanite, we pay 1/2 to 2/3 of the prices they quote on the islands.

I would like to purchase a diamond ring and need advice where to go. Trying to avoid DI or shops recommended by a cruise line.

Thank you in advance!

As previously posted.

May I assist you in finding the very best option for a replacement stone or a new ring.

For many years we, friends and family have purchased jewelry from what we consider to be the most honest and trustworthy shop on “Front Street”, this being “DIAMONDS JEWELERS”. We have never been disappointed with any purchase.

They are a fair, decent and honest family business, who this year has added a “Gems Upgrade Service”, where you may upgrade in the future your current and past buys from the shop.

They are on the “Approved Listings” for Cruise Lines, and will offer a free beer/soda/water to refresh you.

Plus for an extra special discount, when entering, just ask for “Kevin” and mention the receiver of champagne has sent you.

A warm welcome is guaranteed and there is no feeling of being jumped on, or being put under pressure to buy. You will be made to feel comfortable with a view or a purchase.

To find Diamonds Jewelers, take the shuttle ferry to mid-town (Front Street) - Off the ferry – Ahead to Front Street – Turn Left – Then just a short walk up on the right side of Front Street.

For any sceptics, this recommendation is given fairly and honestly with the total respect for all on Cruise Critic without any profit or gain.