Palermo to Trapani

aamechs2

We are in Palermo on July 9 from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. We would like to go to Trapani and up to Erice (if the cable car is running) We would like to take a bus or could possibly rent a car. Is this even possible? Looks like it would be about 4 hours of driving and only 4 hours there. But it looks amazingly beautiful. Not much else in Palermo is interesting to us, definitely not doing the catacombs. Thanks!!

Edited by aamechs2

Trapani is a long way from Palermo. I think it's too much transit time for a single day in port. Maybe if you were going to be in Palermo overnight, but even then there are interesting places that are closer.

Agrigento, for example, is about 2 hours by car and it is a beautiful location.

Or the wonderful (newly restored) and extensive mosaics at Piazza Armorina.

Ah, I'm sorry -- I misinterpreted your original information to mean that it was a 4 hour drive each way. :o I should learn not to respond before the caffeine kicks in....

I have done day trips to Agrigento and to Piazza Armorina from Palermo with a private driver, but one of the days was an overnight and the other was a fairly late departure.

• 1 year later...

We stayed in Erice and took the skytram to Trapani. We much preferred Erice. I would recommend staying there instead of Trapani.

We enjoyed Palermo very much. It was different that we imagined.

We were in Sicily for just under three weeks. We spent two nights and one day in Cefalu. Primarily because we were dropping off a car and because we were touring the areas around Cefalu, including the islands.

Would we go back to Cefalu? OK town but once was enough. If it was a choice between Cefelu and Palermo we would pick Palermo in a heartbeat. I would not do this for a day trip. You will spend your day commuting.

We got lots of great touring suggestions, ideas, schedule and tour info on the tripadvisor sicily forum.