Taxi in La Rochelle

Herbie100

Does anyone know if there are usually taxis available (without pre-booking) at the cruise terminal in La Rochelle? Visiting on Thursday and need to disembark and get to the airport to fly home for family funeral :( Also hoping that if there are taxis that they have fuel!!

Does anyone know if there are usually taxis available (without pre-booking) at the cruise terminal in La Rochelle? Visiting on Thursday and need to disembark and get to the airport to fly home for family funeral :( Also hoping that if there are taxis that they have fuel!!

At the beginning of the month we called at La Rochelle and there were only a small number of taxis at the terminal which suggests to me that they were pre-booked. Sorry not the answer you were looking for.

I am sorry for your loss.

We had a different experience regarding Taxis last year. The queue for the shuttle bus was extremely long, but taxis plentiful. Of course it could depend on day of the week, or time of the year.

With the difficulties currently being experienced in France, it would probably be a good idea to prebook to avoid any problems.

I am on my yacht in La Rochelle NOW. I also know the town very well and because I'm not here in a car I really do understand the public transport system.

First, the airport is near to the cruise teminal and it will be much cheaper to take a taxi from the port to the airport than from town to the airport.

However, I don't believe that there is a rank at the cruise terminal, but if you want a cab there are plenty of companies.

We use Abeille Taxis. Their number is 05 46 41 55 55 or 05 46 41 22 22.

Normally we use the bus (more of that in a moment) but this morning being Sunday and not being sure of the Sunday bus times, my departing crew booked a taxi from Cours des Dames and it arrived exactly at the appointed time.

Bus however is very easy and, apart from luggage issues, you should not have any problems doing your own thing.

Take a Number 1 bus from port entrance at La Pallice to the centre of Town (Place Verdun)- not sure how you get from ship to port entrance, but it is a secure area so they will have some form of transport. Once you get to Place Verdun (the main bus station) change to a Number 7 bus which will take you the Laleu which is the airport. Think they run every 20 minutes.

If you feel pushed for time then get off the first bus at the stop after the roundabout at the end of Avenue Denfert Rochereau (it's called Rossignolette - and you won't miss it as the name of the next stops are displayed on a tv screen inside the bus) or even the following stop (Quatre Fages), then simply cross the road and wait for a Number 7 bus going the other way.

Irrespective of whether or not you go all the way into Place Verdun, make sure that you keep your ticket from the first journey as you can use the same ticket for the second journey. You just push the ticket in the machine on the second bus and it recognises that you are continuing a single journey and validates your ticket accordingly.

If decide you take the ship's shuttle to the centre of town, then I think they drop off at the tourist office by the harbour. If so, simply walk along the quay (Vieux Port) with the towers on your left until you get to the large town clock (Grosse Horloge) at the end of the quay. There you will find a bus stop (Grosse Horloge) from where you can also catch a Number 7 bus. FWIW Grosse Horloge is where I will take the bus from tomorrow when I go out to the airport to meet my wife who is flying in from Southampton

Edited by Corfe Mixture
minor typos

Doesn't it just annoy you when a person posts an apparently very important question to which folks take the trouble to give comprehensive replies only to discover that 3 days later the OP has still not logged on AT ALL since making the original post.

OK, there is a lot going on in their life at the moment, but getting to the airport in order to get home does seem to be something that one would think was important to them!!

Edited by Corfe Mixture
minor typo

Doesn't it just annoy you when a person posts an apparently very important question to which folks take the trouble to give comprehensive replies only to discover that 3 days later the OP has still not logged on AT ALL since making the original post.

OK, there is a lot going on in their life at the moment, but getting to the airport in order to get home does seem to be something that one would think was important to them!!

You don't have to logon to read posts, I'm sure the OP will appreciate your useful information when they do.

Not sure what cruise the OP is on but if it is with P & O the only one calling at La Rochelle does not set sail till today. Would have thought claiming on insurance for lost cruise would be less hassle than trying to get home for a family funeral

Good point. Crystal Symphony was in port today and the next ship in Venturia on Thursday. Hadn't realised that Venturia didn't leave until today, but looking at the itinerary I agree that cancelling would make most sense.

Perhaps the OP didn't have insurance.

Good point. Crystal Symphony was in port today and the next ship in Venturia on Thursday. Hadn't realised that Venturia didn't leave until today, but looking at the itinerary I agree that cancelling would make most sense.

Perhaps the OP didn't have insurance.

Oops. Wasn't Ventura that was in today. It was Azura that we sailed past today on our way up to Ile de Ré.