Walking to the Cruise Terminals

hamble90

Hi All,

Just wondering if you can walk to the Mayflower cruise terminal from Southampton Central Train Station. I'm ok with the distance, just want to know if it's possible.

I wouldn't do it, even without hauling cases. It must be at least a 30 minute walk crossing two busy major roads.:eek:

It's possible but why start a holiday doing a trek!

Agreed. There's a taxi rank outside the station, and a taxi will only cost six or seven quid.

We have walked from the Holiday Inn by Mayflower Park on Herbert Walker Avenue, to Ocean Terminal. This was for a mini cruise, so we only had one wheeled case to tow, and back packs for carryon. Nothing to stop you, the security staff at the manned booth will check where you are going, and then you just follow the path alongside the road to the terminal. Only took fifteen minutes but obviously nearer than the station.

We returned to Mayflower Terminal, and decided to walk back to the Holiday Inn. It was further than it looked, and on arriving at the Dock gate, were horrified to find it closed! A kindly security guard let us through!

Nothing to stop you if that's what you want to do, but I'd check your route and timings in advance.

We have walked from the Holiday Inn by Mayflower Park on Herbert Walker Avenue, to Ocean Terminal. This was for a mini cruise, so we only had one wheeled case to tow, and back packs for carryon. Nothing to stop you, the security staff at the manned booth will check where you are going, and then you just follow the path alongside the road to the terminal. Only took fifteen minutes but obviously nearer than the station.

We returned to Mayflower Terminal, and decided to walk back to the Holiday Inn. It was further than it looked, and on arriving at the Dock gate, were horrified to find it closed! A kindly security guard let us through!

Nothing to stop you if that's what you want to do, but I'd check your route and timings in advance.

I think, if you were heading for the Holiday Inn from Mayflower, you were trying to get out the Gate nearest to the Hotel. That particular one is usually closed unless there is a ship in at 101 Terminal, City Terminal. Dock Gate 10, the one the OP would use to get to the Station, is always open. It is a heck of a walk and most unpleasant if the weather is inclement. I don't even think there are pavements the whole way.

According to Google maps, it is appox. one and a quarter miles, there is a pedestrian crossing outside the station, and dropped kerbs at the traffic lights on West Quay Road (It's a VERY busy road), then through dock gate 10 and along to Mayflower. Recently we were dragging our cases around Edinburgh in the rain, not pleasant, get a taxi!

Is this terminal anywhere near the red jet terminal to the isle of Wight. You can get a bus right outside the train station to that terminal via west quay shopping centre for £1.00

Nowhere near the Mayflower. Red Jet Terminal is fairly close to the Ocean Terminal at Dock Gate 4.

Hi All,

Just wondering if you can walk to the Mayflower cruise terminal from Southampton Central Train Station. I'm ok with the distance, just want to know if it's possible.

Yes you can. Walk along Southern Road, passing the Police Station, Enter Dock Gate 10, Then turn Right along W Bay Road and keep walking until the next available turning left.Into Imperial Way, It is a Hike but doable .