Ventura cabin R407

tokyo

Was wondering in anybody has had this cabin. Also, what is the big space behind it.

The short answer is a swimming pool, but more important is 'what is above it?'

We normally take a suite and had R405 opposite when Ventura was new.

Big mistake.

Problems with noise from above early in the morning as people get up and drag loungers around which they then put their 'reservation towels' on.

Even worse problems on evenings where there is deck event as, after the event finishes, the staff move the loungers back around the pool area at around 2am.

Given I was paying for a suite, I tried to insist that the Hotel Manager came to my cabin to listen to the noise, but he didn't arrive.

The next day when I told them that I had recorded the noise and intended to take the matter up with head office, they gave me £500 of onboard credit to head off the complaint, so they implicitly acknowledged that it was a real problem and my complaint was justified.

The upshot of the story is that we have never again booked a Riviera deck suite on this class of ship with either P&O or Princess.

Thanks for your reply

We have booked this cabin for a 28 day cruise to the Caribbean in Jan 2017.

Not so worried about early morning noise, but the late night noise could be a problem.

The short answer is a swimming pool, but more important is 'what is above it?'

We normally take a suite and had R405 opposite when Ventura was new.

Big mistake.

Problems with noise from above early in the morning as people get up and drag loungers around which they then put their 'reservation towels' on.

Even worse problems on evenings where there is deck event as, after the event finishes, the staff move the loungers back around the pool area at around 2am.

Given I was paying for a suite, I tried to insist that the Hotel Manager came to my cabin to listen to the noise, but he didn't arrive.

The next day when I told them that I had recorded the noise and intended to take the matter up with head office, they gave me £500 of onboard credit to head off the complaint, so they implicitly acknowledged that it was a real problem and my complaint was justified.

The upshot of the story is that we have never again booked a Riviera deck suite on this class of ship with either P&O or Princess.

We had a suite on Riviera R408 on Emerald Princess. The noise was for some reason only noticeable in the early hours of the morning - when it sounded like there was some sort of elephants tea party going on. I wouldn't book a cabin under an 'activity' deck again.

Edited by Florry

We had a suite on Riviera R408 on Emerald Princess. The noise was for some reason only noticeable in the early hours of the morning - when it sounded like there was some sort of elephants tea party going on. I wouldn't book a cabin under an 'activity' deck again.

I think it is because the staff tidy up the pool areas in the middle of the night and there is a 'standard' lounger arrangement which they put everything back to.

However, the real problem is that when they added the extra 'Riviera' deck to what was the original Star class design, to make the Grand class of ship, weight issues meant that they had to use aluminium from Riviera deck upwards, which makes them more prone to noise from above.

You get similar problems with the Lido deck cabins, as a some selfish individuals use the deck above where it loops around the gym and spa as an early morning running track.

So 6 am in the morning, thump thump thump on the ceiling, as they loop around.

Edited by insanemagnet

Can't remember number but we had R deck last year. The roof of our balcony extended quite a bit further out than the balcony itself. We were directly understand the seating area of the Lido deck, so some noise as well

We had select booking so actually chose our cabin, but in hindsight we might not choose R deck again. I am on B deck next week on sister ship Azura. Don't get me wrong, very minor issues and it no way did it spoil our wonderful cruise and you love it too

Edited by Mr Piano

I think it is because the staff tidy up the pool areas in the middle of the night and there is a 'standard' lounger arrangement which they put everything back to.

However, the real problem is that when they added the extra 'Riviera' deck to what was the original Star class design, to make the Grand class of ship, weight issues meant that they had to use aluminium from Riviera deck upwards, which makes them more prone to noise from above.

Ah that explains it, I'm sure we must have had cabins under or above public areas before but if there is a specific soundproofing issue I suppose that's why we heard more.