Casablanca or Rabat with Thomson Majesty April '13

georgehelend

• 2 months later...

I can't find details about the excursions themselves, but hands-down, RABAT. No question, even having not seen the itineraries.

I responded to another post about Casablanca with details about Rabat. I lived there for 4.5 years and miss it every day. Love it. Miss it. If you go on imperial Rabat, you'll probably go to the cafe maure for tea in the Oudaya kasbah-- i lived there my first year in Rabat and miss it horribly. Enjoy. :)

Casa, on the other hand, is sort of the armpit of Morocco. People tend to be less friendly, there's less of a striking "east meets west" vibe, the old medina is a cesspool compared to Rabat, and it's just a smoggy, dirty city. Rabat is amazing.

Feel free to ask more questions; if you can give me more details about the itineraries, I will elaborate!

Rabat, Rabat, Rabat!

Quite charming. Friendly people (well, for Moroccan standards). A very nice old town / fortress. A decent market where you are a bit less likely to get fleeced too much. We had pleasant times there on several occasions. Try the frilled pigeons! Really yummy.

Casa is an absolute hole. Dirty, full of crooks, chaotic traffic, rude people....

Our staff is strongly discouraged to leave the hotel when in this town on business, unless when accompanied by an approved driver and / or guide. Even then watch your back.

• 2 years later...

Okay, having had a city tour of Casablanca last year, we are sold on going to Rabat this time.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a guide there? Any other places there which are not-to-miss?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Edited by sansterre

• 1 month later...
Okay, having had a city tour of Casablanca last year, we are sold on going to Rabat this time.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a guide there? Any other places there which are not-to-miss?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Are you going to Rabat. We think we will take the train

Are you going to Rabat. We think we will take the train

Still considering the ship's tour to Rabat. Since I can't run or even walk fast, I'm thinking it might be good to be with a guide. Have you been to Morocco before? Do you speak French or Arabic. From the post on the other thread, it sounds like it would be necessary.

Edited by sansterre

In Rabat, I wonder how costly a taxi is. Or how much one can see from the tram. I'm also a little nervous about getting back to the ship on time, although our ship doesn't leave until 9.

Edited by sansterre

In Rabat, I wonder how costly a taxi is. Or how much one can see from the tram. I'm also a little nervous about getting back to the ship on time, although our ship doesn't leave until 9.

We should talk at the M&G and see if we can do something together. And yes we speak French.

Edited by sahara1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll be in port at Casablanca in December, 6am-6pm. Would love to go to Rabat and especially Chellah and Sala Colonia. Not a huge fan of shore excursions (they don't go to the latter 2), so I'm curious how difficult it is to travel by train independently. Still, if we need to stay with a group, we will. Have never been in Morocco, but have lived in the Middle East. Seems like there's a lot more to enjoy just outside of Casablanca.

Any advice or tips would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Edited by syesmar

We should talk at the M&G and see if we can do something together. And yes we speak French.

Yes, let's look for each other at the Meet and Greet. I was also thinking that the shore excursion staff and other staff members should be helpful regarding going to Rabat alone. Have you been there before? You know what you want to see while there - impressive!:)