Help Please! Having a Cabin Number Booked vs a Guaranteed Cabin Booking

Leslaf

The Royal Caribbean sale ends tonight and I wanted to get an Alaska cruise booked for this August.

I booked one cruise this morning for early August for a Large Oceanview Room but I could not book a specific cabin number. They just told me it was a guaranteed Large Oceanview Room and that we would find out our cabin number once we arrived at the ship.

Since it is an Alaska cruise we really want to have a room on the port side of the ship as we are sailing Southbound from Seward so we can see the scenery from our cabin window.

I'm worried that with this booking that we will get a room on the starboard side instead and they don't take any sort of reqeusts.

Since we are flexible with our dates and I can cancel my previous reservation, I booked the same cruise for later in August. For this cruise I was able to book a cabin on the port side of the ship.

I will cancel one of these reservations but wanted to know any of your experiences with just having a guaranteed booking rather than a specific cabin number. Has anyone received their cabin number when they arrived to ship and then managed to have it changed? Any type of info or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited by Leslaf
typo

The Royal Caribbean sale ends tonight and I wanted to get an Alaska cruise booked for this August.

I booked one cruise this morning for early August for a Large Oceanview Room but I could not book a specific cabin number. They just told me it was a guaranteed Large Oceanview Room and that we would find out our cabin number once we arrived at the ship.

Since it is an Alaska cruise we really want to have a room on the port side of the ship as we are sailing Southbound from Seward so we can see the scenery from our cabin window.

I'm worried that with this booking that we will get a room on the starboard side instead and they don't take any sort of reqeusts.

Since we are flexible with our dates and I can cancel my previous reservation, I booked the same cruise for later in August. For this cruise I was able to book a cabin on the port side of the ship.

I will cancel one of these reservations but wanted to know any of your experiences with just having a guaranteed booking rather than a specific cabin number. Has anyone received their cabin number when they arrived to ship and then managed to have it changed? Any type of info or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

On our 1st cruise, 5 yrs ago on HAL, we booked and guaranteed inside cabin. About a month before our cruise I went to print out our paper work and lo and behold, there was a cabin number on our boarding pass. It turned out to be an unobstructed OV. Needless to say, we were happy. We have booked guaranteed OV 2x since. Both times we new ahead of time (both great rooms). An additional HAL cruise and a NCL cruise.

You should be asking this on the board here for Royal Caribbean. I have looked at cabin photos for Radiance and see that most of the OV cabins have the head of the bed under the window. Good for getting a glimpse of daylight, but not for watching the scenery go by. In fact, even if the bed is on the side wall, the sill will be too high to sit and watch and you won't want to spend your time standing in front of the window. You will want to be out on deck so you can move from side to side of the ship. When you are in the inside passage, there will be views on both sides. When not, if there is land only on one side, you will not be close enough to see any wildlife - say, several miles away. EM

As far as I know I didn't book an OV room. I'm assuming that means obstructed view. I have a guaranteed Large Ocean View Room booked. I was told that I wasn't able to have a specific room number now but that I am guaranteed a Large Ocean View Room (which will be on either Deck 2 or 3). I'm not even sure what happens for a guaranteed room - do they hope that someone cancels between now and then if in fact there aren't any available now?

So I was just wondering about people's experiences if you had a guaranteed room booked - were you happy with the room you received, did they give you a higher category room, should I be wary about this and just go with the booking for the specific room number I have on my other booking. I'm a little nervous about what we would get with this guaranteed room.

OV = ocean view cabin. That's what you booked. Obstructed ocean view would be obstructed OV. . EM

Oops!!! Thanks for letting me know about the code lingo!

I called RCI just now and on my set room reservation I was able to switch rooms to 3012 in the forward part of the ship on the port side which is what I wanted.

I will cancel my Guaranteed Room for the other sailing and just go with my room above. It's high season for the Alaska cruise so I doubt that we would get an upgrade anyhow.

I appreciate the help!