Dining Dilemma

I am in a bit of a dilemma. We (a couple) are booked on Oriana to the Canaries in March 2018. We booked a Select fare. I am unsure wether to go for traditional or freedom dining. I accept we are lucky to have this type of dilemma.

We have had tradition on Fred Olsen (tables for eight second sitting). We have had anytime on Cunard. We have had freedom on Royal Clipper (only 150 passengers). We have enjoyed them all.

We usually eat at 8pm to 8.45pm at home. I would go for second sitting traditional dining but I prefer the location and look of the Peninsular. If we go for freedom would we have to queue for a table after 8pm? If we go for say traditional can we change to freedom during the cruise? Which is generally more popular?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Stephen, we were on Oriana in Oct/Nov - 2015 - Canaries. We took 6.30pm traditional dinner, on coming out and wandering around the ship around 8pm - 8.30pm, I did not notice any queuing outside the Freedom dining MDR. There were big lines early, 5pm - 6.30pm. As for changing from Traditional to Freedom during cruise, you would need to see the Restaurant Manager, depends on capacity I suppose. Enjoy your cruise.

I think you can change your selection of dining options on your cruise personaliser at any time - at least up to what I imagine is a cut off date a couple of weeks before sailing when presumably details will be frozen. We are able to do this currently on our Early Saver fare but of course without the certainty that we shall get what we want.

OP - in our experience of Freedom Dining I would be very surprised if you had a problem walking straight in at the dining times you prefer. Although there is a queue for the dining room to open I've never seen a problem getting everyone in - there always seems to be spare tables once the rush of actually seating everyone is over. By 7-7.30 though there does appear to be more demand and we have seen a few waiting (possibly for tables for two which can be at a premium - and why I think so many queue at 6.00 to get their choice) but they have a pager and it seems that the wait isn't usually long.

We've found too that often in freedom people gravitate to the same area and waiters each night. At the station where you ask for a table they have it all on computer - which tables you have been to previously and frequently offer you the same table. We like this arrangement.

Yes, they queue for club dining :confused:

I can only think it is either they want to grab 'their' seat at the table or they imagine if they get there first the waiters will serve their table first, or maybe they are worried about the galley running out of food :)

I am in the bar before dinner and if using club dining aim to get to the restaurant about 5 minutes after opening.

Thank you for that information. I like the idea of a pager rather than queueing but it sounds like we would not have to wait. Good that they tend to put you in the same area. I like have the same stewards every night. They get to know how you like things.

I too have wondered why people queue for traditional dining. Though I do always worry on the first night when I turn up just after the time for second sitting and the doors are still closed. Then I join the queue.

Best wishes,Stephen.

We always have a table for 8 on Club Dining at 8.30 sitting. Never had a bad table yet. And you can always eat in the buffet on a theme night for a change. We like the Oriental restaurant. Can't see much difference between that and the Peninsular to be honest.

Thank you everybody who has replied. It has made me feel more comfortable with both types of dining.

My concern about the Oriental was only based on a cruise in 2002. It seemed quite dark in the Oriental (my eyesight has got worse since then) and I seem to remember quite a lot of vibration.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, they queue for club dining :confused:

I can only think it is either they want to grab 'their' seat at the table or they imagine if they get there first the waiters will serve their table first, or maybe they are worried about the galley running out of food :)

I am in the bar before dinner and if using club dining aim to get to the restaurant about 5 minutes after opening.

They think they are on a Shearings Spanish coach tour, they think the tucker will run out. Yes in our 5 P&O UK cruises, I do notice a scrum at the MDR door, I walk in at 5 minutes past the set time, normally 1st sitting in club dining @ 6.30pm, 2nd sitting @ 8.30pm is a bit late for us.

Stephen. From all the research I did before our Northern Lights Oriana cruise last year, it seemed that the Freedom Dining restaurant is much better located in terms of "vibration" . We always choose Freedom as it suits us better to be able to dine around what other activities/entertainment we want to do on any particular night. There was always a queue to get in as soon as the dining room opened, as many people prefer a table for 2 and obviously once they are full then you have to wait until they have vacated the table. Later on, at the time you prefer, usually much easier to be directed to a table immediately. We did all options on Oriana for table numbers and it worked brilliantly whatever the combination.

Not been on the Oriana but on Azura, Ventura & Britannia. Always done freedom dining and requested table for two.

Noticed that the larger parties (around 10) tended to have the same table most evenings, but we've had a wide variety of tables in different part of the dining room. Same for friends who shared tables.

So in my experience on Azura & Ventura particularly they've not tended to put us in the same part of the dining room as we've been in before unless we've specifically asked to go there.

Quite often we've had to wait with a pager when we arrived between 6.45 - 7.30 and on our last cruise Azura, there were queues almost every evening for all tables, even those wanting to share. Around 8pm was a particularly busy period with queues but this may have just been this particular cruise for some reason.

Britannia was better with much less wait times and often went straight in.

Don't know if this is helpful for you on your cruise. Happy cruising.

So in my experience on Azura & Ventura particularly they've not tended to put us in the same part of the dining room as we've been in before unless we've specifically asked to go there.

I think this is the relevant point - asking for given tables. We, plus several other couples had the same tables (within a particular waiter's station) each evening on Azura. We indicated we'd like the same area each night but half way through the cruise we were offered a table there without asking. It was very sociable and gave us the benefit you gain from having good table companions in Club.

Stephen. From all the research I did before our Northern Lights Oriana cruise last year, it seemed that the Freedom Dining restaurant is much better located in terms of "vibration" . We always choose Freedom as it suits us better to be able to dine around what other activities/entertainment we want to do on any particular night. There was always a queue to get in as soon as the dining room opened, as many people prefer a table for 2 and obviously once they are full then you have to wait until they have vacated the table. Later on, at the time you prefer, usually much easier to be directed to a table immediately. We did all options on Oriana for table numbers and it worked brilliantly whatever the combination.

I wonder why so many pax want tables for two, surely one should go on a cruise to mix and be sociable? We always ask for a table of 6 to 8. More the merrier, like to meet people. We have a table for two at home every night, need a change !! We all know how ship's buffets are, busy and shortage of tables. A few of times we have plonked ourselves down on a table with only two pax on it. I always say..'Do you mind if we join you?' Even if they said' No', I would still plonk ourselves down, after all, no where else to seat more often then not.

I wonder why so many pax want tables for two, surely one should go on a cruise to mix and be sociable? We always ask for a table of 6 to 8. More the merrier, like to meet people. We have a table for two at home every night, need a change !! We all know how ship's buffets are, busy and shortage of tables. A few of times we have plonked ourselves down on a table with only two pax on it. I always say..'Do you mind if we join you?' Even if they said' No', I would still plonk ourselves down, after all, no where else to seat more often then not.

Yes, we only request a table for 2 when we use Select dining, otherwise we are happy to join other cruisers. However, I do understand that some people want to keep themselves to themselves and I respect that. Not sure I agree with your suggestion of 'Do you mind if we join you' actually meaning 'Do you mind if we join you, if not we can have a nice conversation, but if you do, we will join you anyway'. Personally, I would go down the path of 'Sorry, but there is a shortage of seating so apologies for disturbing you'

I hate when you are in the buffet when it is full and some couples sit opposite each other on a table for four (when there is a seat on each side). I am especially thinking here of Adonia. Means it is almost impossible to sit at that table with them when in fact there are no seats elsewhere. Very selfish

I disagree. We always sit opposite each other when eating in the buffet, even at a table for four. It's easier to talk to each other that way, but we have no objection at all to others joining us, and conversing with us.

I am in a bit of a dilemma. We (a couple) are booked on Oriana to the Canaries in March 2018. We booked a Select fare. I am unsure wether to go for traditional or freedom dining. I accept we are lucky to have this type of dilemma.

We have had tradition on Fred Olsen (tables for eight second sitting). We have had anytime on Cunard. We have had freedom on Royal Clipper (only 150 passengers). We have enjoyed them all.

We usually eat at 8pm to 8.45pm at home. I would go for second sitting traditional dining but I prefer the location and look of the Peninsular. If we go for freedom would we have to queue for a table after 8pm? If we go for say traditional can we change to freedom during the cruise? Which is generally more popular?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you, Stephen.

Hi Stephen.

We have just returned from 5 weeks on Oceana and it was our second Freedom dining with P&O.

Like you we prefer to eat later and found that Freedom Dining worked perfectly for us.

I say that in the simple knowledge that there was always a rush to eat early by the majority of Freedom dining passengers and when we turned up after 8.00pm there was a choice of tables of all sizes.

Hope that goes some way to convincing you.

Sod the dilemma, follow your instinct.

Freedom dining worked for me as a solo in that generally I was found a space on a larger table which I liked; different people each night. Twice I turned up about 8 when I had a cold and asked for a small table as I didn't want to give it to others; that was always possible. I liked the fact that I could eat in select dining or have room service without feeling I was being rude to my regular companions as I would in club dining.

Thank you. I might try Freedom dining. It will be good to try something new. This is all new to me. I had not realised until I booked that P&O offered this type of dining. When I cruised on Oriana in 2002 they were still very traditional. It must require careful planning on the ship. If most people go early it must be a challenge to seat, serve and prepare food for everybody. Port departure times will also be a factor on time people want dinner. I am glad I not the restaurant manager. There must be an effect on the shows as the ship no longer divides in to two equal halves

Best wishes, Stephen