Which Shore Excursion?

SilverSeas

Hi!

We are going on Royal Caribbean's Mediterranean Venice Tour in July- departing Spain.

When we get to Rome which is the better tour --- to see the most. (We are coming back later for 2 days to do some more things in depth but won't have our teen then. We are looking for one that gives us the best overview of Rome.

A Taste of Rome:

Discover Rome’s most treasured landmarks alongside an informative guide before spending 2.5 hours exploring the Eternal City at your own pace. Embark on a half-day guided tour, as you listen along to commentary via headset. See the enormous exterior of the ancient Colosseum amphitheater, toss a coin into the famous Trevi Fountain, and follow your Guide for an exterior visit of the Roman Forum. Then roam around independently at St. Peter’s Square, time permitting visit the Vatican museums or St. Peter’s Basilica, shop for souvenirs, or savor authentic Roman fare. CV1Guided Exploration: Join an informative tour guide for adynamic half-day tour of Rome’s most treasured landmarks, complete with headsetcommentary.

Highlights:

CityLandmarks: Admire the Colosseum’s enormous exterior, toss a coin into the TreviFountain, and follow your guide for an exterior visit of the Roman Forum. Free Time:Enjoy 2.5 hours spent browsing at St. Peter’s Square, or time permittingvisiting the Vatican museums or St. Peter’s Basilica, souvenir shopping, orsavoring Roman delicacies.

OR

Imperial Rome

Explore Rome's fascinating history among ancient ruins and atthe sacred St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City. Stroll the remains of theForum, the heart of Roman life during antiquity, and follow the ceremonial roadinto the imposing Colosseum amphitheater, site of elaborate spectacles. At theVatican, admire the Renaissance splendors of St. Peter's Basilica, the world'slargest church. Top off your tour with a visit to Trevi Fountain, a Baroquelandmark. CV02

Highlights:

Trevi Fountain: Rome's most famous fountain

Imperial Rome:Explore the remains of the Forum, the area that formed the heart of the ancientcity, and the imposing Colosseum amphitheater.

St. Peter'sBasilica: This holiest of churches at the Vatican is an architectural marveldecorated with works by Renaissance masters.

Lunch: Savoran authentic Italian meal at a restaurant or hotel, accompanied by a glass ofwine.

Has anyone done both or either and could please give us an idea?

Get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and see how you can do it on your own. In my opinion, you should see St. Peters/Vatican; Colosseum, forum, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Pantheon... We took the train from Civitavecchia and walked all over. Did not see the Vatican that time, as we had done it a few years earlier. On his website, Rick Steves has free audio tours to download to ipod/mp3 and maps to print out to go along for several of your ports. EM

I'm brand new to this please can you tell me how to do that Keith1010?

Absolutely. This will take you to the RCI board and since these are cruise line specific tours I would see what others who may have taken them think.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=83

This link will take you to the Ports Of Call Italy Board. For this one I would ask even though it is cruise line specific based on the descriptions you provided what people think

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=595

We've been to Rome several times and I think bot tours sound great but good to get advice on both of those boards.

Keith

Based on my experiences having lived in Rome for 5 years....

Given the tour descriptions, I would always pick the one that includes visits into the Forum and the Colosseum versus a drive-by. You've come a long way, don't settle for seeing just the outside of them! In my mind 2.5 hours isn't enough time to do both St. Peter's and the Vatican Museums (especially if you need to stand in line for the latter). Do St. Peter's and leave the Vatican Museums for another visit (a reason to return!).

Essiesmom's suggestion of a do it yourself walking tour is also good assuming you have no mobility issues (historic Rome isn't that large but you will still end up walking quite a distance on small and crowded streets and sidewalks) and it isn't blazing hot (which it can and will be in the summer).

Have fun whatever you decide to do!

I'm brand new to this please can you tell me how to do that Keith1010?

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic,

Near the bottom of this page, click on the arrow at "forum Jump".

This will bring up a list of all the forums on Cruise Critic.

There's rather a lot of them, but you'll soon get the hang of it.

On the list of cruise lines, click on the Royal Caribbean one and post on it the same way you did here.

Much further down that list of forums are the "Ports of Call". Italy is in the Mediterranean section.

Here are the short-cuts if you can't figure it, but try to do it yourself

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=83

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=595

When scrolling thro the list, you'll pass Roll Calls.

Find the Roll Call for your own cruise - Royal Caribbean, then your ship, then your sailing date (they're not in chronological order - like all CC forums, when someone posts on a thread it goes to the top of the list). Here you can "meet" some of the folk on your cruise, enrol for the cruise's "meet and mingle" party on board, mebbe consider sharing a tailor-made tour.

Quite complicated (especially for technophobes like me), but do persevere cos there's a wealth of help and information on these pages.

If you ever get lost on CC, just click on your screen-name (top right, any page) and it'll take you back to your posts.

-------------------------------------------------------

Since you'll be back for a proper visit (wise move) an overview is very much what you need.

To be honest, I don't see either of those options doing that job but I always cringe when I see a lunch-included tour.- what a waste of valuable time in Rome.

So of the two I'd go for the Taste of Rome although your free time is at the Vatican, which isn't in the heart of the city. Spend your free time there, or head to the area around the Pantheon and Piazza Navona - they're not far by foot or bus or taxi and they're not included in the tour. Go via Ponte Vittoria Emanuele 11, to get a nice view of St Angelo castle.

JB :)