Britannia - ballroom dancing

FOXTROT145

I have just posted on cruise critic for first time and I think I should have used P & O thread. My question is about the amount of ballroom and sequence dancing available. We are keen dancers and have always been disappointed on the many cruise lines that we have used. Is there dancing every night? Is there dance practice on sea days?

There is dancing every night on Britannia in the Crystal Room. Its a very good dance floor and a reasonable size. The split is approximately 50:50 Ballroom and Sequence. It is normally live music and the dance instructors host the evenings. Ian & Penny Crampton are regular dance hosts/instructors on Britannia. On sea days there are lessons for beginners and sometimes they teach better known Sequence Dances so these are probably not much use to you. When are you going?

We aren't ballroom dancers but love to watch them in the Crystal Room after dinner. Its a beautiful venue. One of the nicest places on the ship. There seem to be dances on every night.

I just wish there wasn't so much sequence on all the ships. If you can ballroom dance, it is hopeless, because we don't know any sequence dancing and I find it's much more sequence than ordinary, so we don't bother.

I just wish there wasn't so much sequence on all the ships. If you can ballroom dance, it is hopeless, because we don't know any sequence dancing and I find it's much more sequence than ordinary, so we don't bother.

You say this time and time again. As I said, on Britannia its a 50:50 split. We CAN Ballroom dance very well and we have no problem doing Sequence as we'd rather dance than watch.

You say this time and time again. As I said, on Britannia its a 50:50 split. We CAN Ballroom dance very well and we have no problem doing Sequence as we'd rather dance than watch.

We don't watch it as it just doesn't appeal, but if somebody was a new cruiser who could dance already, they would not be able to do sequence as you would have to learn it? do they teach sequence because the dance floors are so small, that it keeps everyone going round the same way?

Thanks everyone, that is great to know. I have not yet booked, but am thinking of 4th September(when kids are back at school). We were just ballroom dancers for about 20 years but when ballrooms started to close, we were forced into sequence dancing. However if you can find good professionals, then sequence dancing done properly is an eye opener!

First time I have used this site and I am very grateful for your help

Thanks everyone, that is great to know. I have not yet booked, but am thinking of 4th September(when kids are back at school). We were just ballroom dancers for about 20 years but when ballrooms started to close, we were forced into sequence dancing. However if you can find good professionals, then sequence dancing done properly is an eye opener!

First time I have used this site and I am very grateful for your help

4th September is The Canaries cruise and Ian & Penny Crampton are the dance instructors on that cruise. You'll not get better than them. They are excellent hosts. Look them up on internet or on FB if you are on it.

Thank you all for this info and to the OP as we are also considering Britannia - hopefully the Canaries in May as we enjoy the dancing on board. We have been on Oriana for Harlequins and both Oceana & Ventura dancing in the atrium. We agree that it is much better to join in all the sequence dances than to miss out the dancing completely, however, we very much enjoy the 50/50 mix. Can I ask how do you find out which dance instructors are aboard any specific cruise? We have had both good and not so good but it has never spoilt our enjoyment.