Best place to see lots of stars at ports?

tbmrt

We will be overnighting in St. Martin and wonder if there is anywhere there where we could view the sky w/lots of stars on a nice night.

Any memories of other places where you saw lots of stars?

IMO, star-watching from the ship, while out at sea, is far better than in any port. The most spectacular night sky of my life was in mid-Atlantic, through our cabin window. DH woke me up for it, and I didn't mind. Next best was from a somewhat dark corner of a public deck, late at night, while in transit in the Caribbean.

Sorry, slightly off topic

You can get lucky on P&O UK cruises if Leon St Croix is the cruise director. He is a fellow of the Royal Astronomical society and if skies and location are suitable can hold star parties up on the top deck. They switch off the lights and he also has a telescope or you can use binoculars. I was on Aurora in Australia last winter and it was good to explore the southern skies that we don't see in the UK :D

We will be overnighting in St. Martin and wonder if there is anywhere there where we could view the sky w/lots of stars on a nice night.

Any memories of other places where you saw lots of stars?

Any truly rural or otherwise unlit area with an unobstructed and clear sky view will have plenty of stars. Not really a port but, my favorite place to star gaze in the northern hemisphere is on the Beach of DL Bliss State Park on the California side of Lake Tahoe. At sea, the South Pacific - far from shore on any maritime vessel (with only running lights on at night), the star gazing is spectacular.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer