Mailing souvenirs home?

hmdr

How do you get your new treasures home if there's no room in your suitcase?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I take less with me to begin with. However on our Asia trips I've usually had to buy another suitcase when I was there to get everything home...Love the shopping in Shanghai and Saigon.

Souvenirs or treasures? Big difference.

If it's an unusual piece of cultural or otherwise artistic significance that needs careful handling, any dealer with a good reputation will pack, insure and ship your purchase at an often negotiable price. Some good research before your trip should make your negotiations go smoothly.

If you're talking about Christmas ornaments and tee shirts, leave space and weight allowance in your checked baggage at the start of your vacation.

If you're considering a "local" booze purchase abroad, reconsider. As good as you think are the spirits in that "special" bottle, do your homework and you'll find it or something better in most major US cities or online. Even at a higher price, it's a lot easier than carting bottles around in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Mailing items across international borders requires filling out a customs declaration form. You would have to find a local post office that is open while you are in port, complete the required forms in the local language, and pay the appropriate postage in the local currency if they don't accept debit/credit cards. And how will you pack the items for mailing? Will you carry empty cartons or padded envelopes? Sealing tape? Do you want to spend an hour or so of your time in port to do this?

Mailing items back home can be done but it's not simple. Instead plan ahead and take an extra bag. Or throw the old sweat shirt or other item away during the trip to make room for the souvenirs.

If you are cruising in the Med, for example, and you want to buy something large and breakable such as pottery in Positano or Sorrento, the stores will gladly mail your purchases back to your home. They do this all the time and are very trustworthy and wrap things very, very well so they arrive in perfect condition. It takes several weeks for the items to arrive and customs may call you and ask what you purchased if the list of contents is in Italian (for example.) But this is the best way to get larger items home.

Option 1: bring a collapsible bag with you in your checked luggage

Option 2: buy another bag either in port or in onboard shops

Option 3: Don't buy large items.

In many places post offices do more than just handle mail (St. Maarten, Mexico, etc) so there are often long lines. Do you want to spend port time obtaining packing material, wrapping the junk you buy, locating the post office, waiting in line, paying the postage, etc?

If you cannot fit it in your luggage, do not buy it - no problem.

We use expandable bags. We keep them un-expanded when packing for the trip and then expand them if needed when we pack to go home. Always insures extra room for souvenirs. As others said, don't pack every inch and bag you are allotted. Assuming u check your suitcase you are usually still allowed a carry on and personal item per person so can bring your beach tote or a store bag as your personal item.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We took one big suitcase per person even though they were not all filled. When we came back, we put all the dirty clothes in one bag, unworn clean clothing in 2 others and had one left for our loot which included port purchases and booze from the ship.