Sea sickness

Emairis

:confused:My first cruise (6 nights) is coming up, and I have sea sickness, can I take more than one type of pills in 24 hous, Bonine and Dramamine and wrist band?

If this is your first cruise, how do you know you will have seasickness? Or that you might need more than one medication at once?

I would recommend that you not try to use more than one med at the same time. Some don't play well with others. At all. And how would you know which one was causing any unpleasant side effects?

By all means, if you suffer from other forms of motion sickness, pick ONE over the counter med. Dramamine has been around for ages. Bonine ( or its generic equivalent, Meclizine) has the same efficacy without the same degree of drowsiness as Dramamine. It is the one generally available on the ships ( and is the one I prefer to use).

Dramamine needs to be taken multiple times per day. Meclizine is a once a day med. The prescription Scopolamine patch is good for 3 days (but can have serious side effects)

No harm in combining one of those with some of the non drug remedies. These include sea bands, ginger (gum, candied, or crystalline), green apples, ginger ale, or just getting outside and watching the horizon for a while.

You

Since this is a health related question it would be best to ask your physician or at least a licensed pharmacist.

In my opinion you should definitely not take both Dramamine and Bonine.

I always bring Bonine and ginger capsules. There are also ginger candies and green apples are another possibility.

Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate 50mg

Bonine is Meclizine 25mg.

They are not the same active ingredient.

Right. Agree with the others, don't combine meds but combining meds with holistic remedies should be fine.

I prefer bonine, effective and for me, nondrowsy. take the day before the cruise, then the first day or two of the cruise and then can taper off depending how you feel.

If using the wrist band also helps you feel better, then use that too. Personally, when embarking on a new experience/med combo I prefer to do one thing at a time so I know whether or not it's effective. If you use bonine and the wrist band, you almost certainly won't get sick but for next time you won't know which one worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...
:confused:My first cruise (6 nights) is coming up, and I have sea sickness, can I take more than one type of pills in 24 hous, Bonine and Dramamine and wrist band?

Had a great first time cruise; no sea sickness at all though I was prepared. Good 24 hour Dramamine nondrowsiness and wore sea wrist band. Great experience. Not fearful of cruising anymore. Thank you all!

Had a great first time cruise; no sea sickness at all though I was prepared. Good 24 hour Dramamine nondrowsiness and wore sea wrist band. Great experience. Not fearful of cruising anymore. Thank you all!

Great news! Glad that you enjoyed your voyage. :)