New cruising with Jane McDonald

rickpo

Did anyone see this last night on channel 5?

Thought I would give it a try and quite enjoyed it.

It's more looking at the cruise from the passenger point of view than the staffs (thought thats where she started).

I think that this is more likely to encourage none cruisers that the other shows.

I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed watching the programme - such a funny commentary by Jane too, which made it light hearted but informative. Great idea to cover a totally different style of cruise each week. I'm sure it'll do good things for attracting new cruisers - or getting us to try something different.

Did anyone see this last night on channel 5?

Thought I would give it a try and quite enjoyed it.

It's more looking at the cruise from the passenger point of view than the staffs (thought thats where she started).

I think that this is more likely to encourage none cruisers that the other shows.

Switched it off after 15 minutes, it was truly awful, all about her first and foremost. Ugg

I watched it and really enjoyed it. Will be particularly interested in watching when she does a river cruise as this is what I would like to do sometime in the future.

Yes same here' date=' enjoyed it on the whole and I fancy a river cruise one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did a river cruise - didn't like it. Dinner was at 6.30 or even 6 some evenings. After that there was nothing to do. We were on the lower deck and it stank of bilges. I also found the river rather boring, just miles of green banks with the odd nice house.

It was pretty much what I expected from a Ch.5 show. Too many preview/reviews between ad breaks shriking the actual content of 1 hr down to probably 30 mins.

Plus they hardly tried to show the ship - other than that dire attempt with a Go-Pro.

And as for that dreadful "music video" at the end. Words fail me.

Just watching her trip cruising around Mull on an old fishing trawler and its stunning.

Spent a week there last year and everything she says about the island is true, however she was there last May when it was warmer than the Med.

Get a week with a low pressure system stuck over the island and it could be hell on earth!

I think Jane is lovely and very genuine actually; but I am really disappointed with this programme. I have just watched the second show, and lets be honest, most of us are not watching this to witness an experience on a small trawler. We have just booked our first cruise, last week I was "oohing and "ahhing" at the MSC Divinna, and wished they had shown more of the on-board experience, but the show tonight is of virtually no interest to me. They are concentrating far too much on the "off-board" experience and not covering enough time on ship.

I have to say that I loved the on-shore insight that last night's Scottish Islands trip gave - and that's what I'd be choosing such a cruise for, to get that flavour of real island life. On board looked great fun and comfortable but only if you don't mind being part of a small group of fellow passengers and crew. Hubby wouldn't like it, I'd love it. It's now on my bucket list!

I don't think last nights cruise on the trawler was for me, She was blessed by that wonderful weather, and it seems amicable fellow passengers, but I know I would not be as lucky! We are the opposite to you Ginb56, my husband would love it.

Cruising for us, is about the things you can see and experience so the trips ashore are what I watch the programme for.

Leoni, if you want to see more of actual cruise ships and their facilities and interiors, watch Sea Cruisers on You Tube. Two sisters who cruise the Caribbean frequently, and record everything. I had discounted cruising on Adonia, due to her size, but their video whilst she was on loan to Fathom, has made me reconsider.

I don't think last nights cruise on the trawler was for me, She was blessed by that wonderful weather, and it seems amicable fellow passengers, but I know I would not be as lucky! We are the opposite to you Ginb56, my husband would love it.

Cruising for us, is about the things you can see and experience so the trips ashore are what I watch the programme for.

Leoni, if you want to see more of actual cruise ships and their facilities and interiors, watch Sea Cruisers on You Tube. Two sisters who cruise the Caribbean frequently, and record everything. I had discounted cruising on Adonia, due to her size, but their video whilst she was on loan to Fathom, has made me reconsider.

They did seem to be having enormous fun, didn't they? I love Adonia, but you need to bear in mind that when she returns to P&O the average age of the passengers will probably be in the 50s or 60s rather than the 20s or 30s, so there won't be quite the same high jinks.

Enjoyed last night's show very much indeed. Small boats may not be everyone's cup of tea but it certainly looked very appealing to me. Also the people Jane met on shore were interesting though I have to admit that the tweed was a little pricey. Now looking forward to the river cruise in Europe episode. I've always wanted to cruise one of the major rivers in Europe but haven't done so to date. Several people who done such cruises and who know me assure me that I will absolutely enjoy such a cruise.

Particularly enjoyed Jane's singing at the end of the show, made me quite emotional.

Thanks for the tip! I will give that a go :D

Did a river cruise - didn't like it. Dinner was at 6.30 or even 6 some evenings. After that there was nothing to do. We were on the lower deck and it stank of bilges. I also found the river rather boring, just miles of green banks with the odd nice house.

We felt exactly the same way! We did one a few years ago, but much prefer a sea cruise.

We were on a cruise and missed episode 1! However as a Scot, I've always wanted to visit some of the smaller Scottish islands and had looked at this cruise line as something different to do. I certainly enjoyed the programme and it convinced both of us we'd like to give it a go, though currently we've got enough holidays and cruises booked so not sure when we'd do it! I didn't mind Jane McDonald at all and thought she came across as fun / not at all stuffy which is the right kind of person to do a programme about cruising. Yes the programme featured her as much as the ship / islands but after all it was called Jane McDonald Goes Cruising.

Thoroughly enjoying the series and Jane Mcdonald's presentation too. It's entertainment, not a documentary on a specific cruise line nor ship so I don't expect a warts and all tour of the ships. That's why we watch other programs devoted to a specific cruise line/ship.

19 years ago she had a number 1 album as a result of a BBC 'docu soap' called 'The Cruise' which first aired in January 1998 about life on Celebrity Galaxy.

Therefore, I understand one of the purposes of this series is to show the many varied types of cruises available as Jane enjoys cruising, and so it is as I expected, not a travelogue of the ships, but of the places and people she meets.

Now looking forward to the river cruise in Europe episode. I've always wanted to cruise one of the major rivers in Europe but haven't done so to date. Several people who done such cruises and who know me assure me that I will absolutely enjoy such a cruise.

Particularly enjoyed Jane's singing at the end of the show, made me quite emotional.

I'm currently away on a (non-cruising) holiday and so haven't yet seen the second episode, but I'm looking forward to doing so, having thought the first one was good.

River cruising is definitely not for everyone, but we have enjoyed all of ours, especially the Danube. If you like historical European cities and are reasonably sociable (no tables for 2 on Viking at least!) then you should be okay. The evenings can be quieter, but there is often some type of entertainment/activity, and always a pianist playing music from the fifties onwards. Well that's been my experience at least, and I'll be interested to see what Jane makes her river cruise. You certainly see more when cruising along a river than you do in the middle of the ocean, that's for sure 😉