weather on a Transatlantic Cruise

leds lot

we are looking at a Transatlantic Cruise on Britannia at the end of October this year. Southampton to Barbados via Madeira then 5 days at sea over to the Caribbean....someone has told us it will be really rough crossing at that time of the year?? Hoping as we will be heading south (?) it shouldnt be too bad...anyone got any experience of this? all advice gratefully received!

We have done eight transatlantic crossings in October/November over the last ten years. We have another booked this year. We have only ever had one rough crossing and that was on the Eclipse heading for New York a few years ago. Every other trip has been fantastic even the bay of biscay was fine. Once you get down past Lisbon the weather has been fab. Enjoy your trip we are looking forward to ours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a TA on Reflection late October in 2015 departed Rome and were very lucky with the weather. We spent a lot of time outside in shorts as the weather was warm. We only had one day when we were near Gibraltar when the weather was not too good which was due to an unusual weather system. Would definitely cruise this route at this time of year again given the chance.

Done several to the Caribbean but not from Southampton, only the Med. The Atlantic has always been fine and plenty of sun but obviously from or to Southampton the nearer you are to the UK, the cooler it gets.

We always book these cruises late and get a good deal. I am still keeping my eye on the Britannia and Azura returning next month and will probably book either very soon. A balcony for about £1000 or less is a good price.

we are looking at a Transatlantic Cruise on Britannia at the end of October this year. Southampton to Barbados via Madeira then 5 days at sea over to the Caribbean....someone has told us it will be really rough crossing at that time of the year?? Hoping as we will be heading south (?) it shouldnt be too bad...anyone got any experience of this? all advice gratefully received!

We're on the same cruise(B730). I'm told it might be a bit cold/rough until Madeira but fine from then onwards,

The weather can vary enormously as can sea conditions. In my experience on a P&O ship doing the Caribbean to Southampton route it will likely be warmer than the Cunard New York to Southampton route. Remember P&O stay much further South on the crossing as they transit via the Canaries, Madeira or Azores. This makes the cruise much more warmer but the sea conditions can sometimes be rough. Cunard hug the Canadian coastal shelf. If you went for Star Clippers transatlantic you will not benefit from the massive size of the ship. Queen Mary is going to be steadiest and Britannia a bit more rocky under the same sea conditions. Star Clippers are going to be a significantly rougher ride but the sea conditions on this clip would be the same time of year as any major line repositioning a ship.

Regards John

Is it better doing the Southampton - Caribbean in October or the return Caribbean - Southampton in March, not only from a crossing point of view but also the weather when we arrive in the Caribbean, I've only ever cruised Caribbean late Jan, early Feb and the weathers always been fine I'd be interested to know how it varies from October to March. I'm looking at cruises this October and there seems to be some decent deals to be had on Britannia I'm just a little wary of what weather will be on offer when we arrive.

I prefer the Caribbean to Southampton in April. The long flight is over with up front, you can bring back limitless weight of souveneirs, duty free etc. and the Caribbean weather seems good to me. The only poor weather that is likely to crop up is the canary leg.

Regards John

Is it better doing the Southampton - Caribbean in October or the return Caribbean - Southampton in March, not only from a crossing point of view but also the weather when we arrive in the Caribbean, I've only ever cruised Caribbean late Jan, early Feb and the weathers always been fine I'd be interested to know how it varies from October to March. I'm looking at cruises this October and there seems to be some decent deals to be had on Britannia I'm just a little wary of what weather will be on offer when we arrive.

March is likely to be better on both counts, but of course there's no absolute guarantee. For the crossing, there's more risk of deep depressions in the Atlantic - and hence high winds - in October, and especially in late October. In the Caribbean, I think October will still be in the rainy season, and if you're unlucky there could even be a hurricane in the region, whereas March is in the dry season.

We are on Britannia's TA in March, having only ever done westbound TAs previously, does anybody know how P&0 adjust the time onboard to compensate for the time difference?

Down to the Captain most do it at mid day losing the 12.00 to 13.00 hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That's interesting. When we did the TA on Royal there was an hour lost overnight 5 days in a row. Bad enough for the passengers but the poor staff must be worn out losing those sleeping hours. Losing them from the middle of a sea day makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I much prefer loosing the hour at Midday. Makes lunch a little nearer afternoon tea. [emoji513]

I booked the Britannia yesterday for the TA in October.

Anything I have looked at suggests that the weather should fine but who knows but excited all the same:cool:

We have done three maiden transatlantics, the first on Ventura was lovely weather the second on Azura we were delayed a day leaving Southampton as the weather was really bad, our third on Britannia was ok weather. But we have never made it to Madeira. Twice diverted to Tenerife and once diverted to Azures as we were skirting round a hurricane, that crossing was very rough, but got some great pics of the sea crashing over the bow!

We have travelled T A both ways, but we prefer flying out and sailing back , so much more relaxing to walk off at Southampton.

October 2015 we sailed over to Barbados and flew back, the airport wait and the flight back, was not the best.

We are sailing in March to Barbados and the prices are excellent value......But you must enjoy days at sea to get the best from this cruise,

Weather hopefully will be good again and a great bunch of passengers, who are onboard to relax and take in the sea air.

Really recommend these T A ......

hi we have just booked this cruise, looking forward to it.One tip we would recommend if you are booking a balcony book it on a Select fare so you can book an even cabin No. to get the most of any sun on the balony as we sail south west,i would then mark it DO NOT UPGRADE