Balcony preference - low or high decks?

tbmrt

We have always cruised with balconies on higher decks so we could easily walk up to the pool, etc.

However, we received an Oceanview cruise for a gift and were on a lower deck. Enjoyed being closer to sea, watching flying fish, etc.

Interested in your Pro's & Con's for high vs. low balconies.

You've kind of nailed it- if you are in a higher balcony you can see more toward the horizon and you are closer to the upper level activities, a lower balcony allows you to see sea critters better. We're 2 for 3 in spotting dolphins from our balcony so we prefer them closer to the water.

On some ships, the lower balconies are just above the lifeboats, which can actually block your view of the ocean. On some ships, top balconies can be just under the pool deck, sports deck or buffet, with lots of noise. High or low really depends on the ship and the layout.

I was on a deck 4 balcony going through the Panama Canal a few years ago. I was eye level with the walls as we went through the locks. Was a lot of fun except for when my sun glasses fell off and were crushed between the ship and wall :eek: Note to self, don't hold glasses in mouth when attempting to take a photo.

Don

We have always cruised with balconies on higher decks so we could easily walk up to the pool, etc.

However, we received an Oceanview cruise for a gift and were on a lower deck. Enjoyed being closer to sea, watching flying fish, etc.

Interested in your Pro's & Con's for high vs. low balconies.

We've always enjoyed a higher balcony, at least on deck seven, but first we try to check what's above us (and it never fails that it sounds like a kindergarden) so I don't know what's worse, having a herd of children running ABOVE you all night OR up and down the hallway till the wee hours of the morning. Ah ! The exuberance of youth ! Or the ignorance, or perhaps the innocence ? Guess it depends on if they're your kids, or not :) Personally, during the day I love the antics of children, till it becomes a safety problem and then at 2 a.m.? Well, then it boarders on nuisance. Guess I'm just an 'old' adult, who likes to get at least 5 hours sleep. I've often wondered if this situation exist on the Disney ships? Just some random musing of an old man.

Mac

Hallway noises happen on EVERY ship...EVERY cruise line......it's just how it it! Doors will slam....noises happen.

Even if you have lifeboats below you, you still have a full, outward view of the ocean....you just can't see straight down.