Q about customs and medications?

ALP1986

This is my first time on a cruise. I have to bring a rather large amount of medication. I don't want to risk it being taken away. When will this be checked? I am not flying and am not worried about that. I am driving to the departure port. Will there be a TSA or customs check from the US when we board the ship? (I always bring original labeled bottles when I go through TSA.) I won't need to carry medication with me when I leave the ship for shore excursions (except for an asthma inhaler and holding chamber--I can't imagine that being a problem--right??? I hope...) If it doesn't leave the ship, do I need to worry about whether the medications are recognized by their country or have any special documentation from my doctor? I'm wondering if some of the items aren't going to be checked until we re-enter the US... in which case I could just bring the amount I need and not worry about having the original prescription bottles. It would save a lot of room...

This is my first time on a cruise. I have to bring a rather large amount of medication. I don't want to risk it being taken away. When will this be checked? I am not flying and am not worried about that. I am driving to the departure port. Will there be a TSA or customs check from the US when we board the ship? (I always bring original labeled bottles when I go through TSA.) I won't need to carry medication with me when I leave the ship for shore excursions (except for an asthma inhaler and holding chamber--I can't imagine that being a problem--right??? I hope...) If it doesn't leave the ship, do I need to worry about whether the medications are recognized by their country or have any special documentation from my doctor? I'm wondering if some of the items aren't going to be checked until we re-enter the US... in which case I could just bring the amount I need and not worry about having the original prescription bottles. It would save a lot of room...

My wife and I have cruised in the Caribbean, South and Central America, the Med, the Baltic and Asia and have never had a single problem with carrying prescription medications. We always carry them in our carry-on bags (just in case our checked luggage gets lost) and have never even had a question regarding our medications as our carry-on bags went through the cruise terminal security checks. Similarly, we have never had a question regarding our medications while going through airport security in the US or any of these same countries.

Hope this eases your concerns.

I also have to take several medications regularly and also take a bunch of as-needed medications when I travel - sure wouldn't want to miss a port day or be uncomfortable at my nephew's wedding for a problem that could be corrected with a pill. I keep them in their original bottles and leave my pill organizer empty for travelling. I also keep them in my carry-on and left everything on the ship during port visits except for my narcotic pain med. (THAT never goes further than arm's length away from me, I don't need it often but I need it quickly when I start hurting!) Never even been questioned about them at any airport, no problem going through ship security, no problem with Customs on the return.

I also take several medications and worried about proper documentation. I don't take the prescription bottles, but I do take a piece of paper with the sticker that comes with the information about the mess from the pharmacy. Each sticker is about the size of a return address label.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will there be a TSA or customs check from the US when we board the ship? (I always bring original labeled bottles when I go through TSA.)

There is no inspection of medication when boarding the ship. Never had a problem with my maintenance meds.

My husband takes his meds in a plastic day by day container. He doesn't take them in Rx bottles. They are on my carry on and have never been even questioned about them.

They don't care about what you're taking off the ship. Getting back on the ship the ship just x-rays what you're bring back on, they don't care about meds- which you could just have in your pocket then no one will know you have them.

There are no TSA officials at U.S. cuuise port terminals. Your medication will not be checked when you board bu t for so many reasons, it is always a good idea to carry them in pharmacy bottles parrrticuularly if any are controled substances. I allways bring at least a few extrra days of my meds jstt in case somethinggohappens for me tro not get home when e xpected.

If you take any medications that are controlled substances (ie, medications classed as US schedule II) you will want to make sure to take them in the original pharmacy-provided bottle (many mds are willing write a prescription for a smaller quantity just to cover the duration of the trip). Most of the time you won't have to worry about it, but there is always the one time...

Btw, if you have any "life or death" medications, you can also ask your doctor for a backup copy of the prescription that you can keep with your other travel documents in case something in case of emergency.

My husband takes his meds in a plastic day by day container. He doesn't take them in Rx bottles. They are on my carry on and have never been even questioned about them.

They don't care about what you're taking off the ship. Getting back on the ship the ship just x-rays what you're bring back on, they don't care about meds- which you could just have in your pocket then no one will know you have them.

My experience on multiple cruises in varying parts of the world as well as with dozens of land excursions has been exactly the same. I distribute my meds into my weekly container, stash extras as needed in a single pill bottle and have never been questioned at a port or airport. Always put them in your hand carrying. I would recommend not carrying the original bottles as they are often bulky but carrying copies of the labels for each med would be reasonable to alleviate your concerns.