Ocean view vs. Balcony

rhsjr

We have always sailed balcony or mini, but were considering Ocean view as we do not spend a lot of time on the balcony, except some cruises where there is a lot of land viewing. How would you compare a balcony to OV?

We have always sailed balcony or mini, but were considering Ocean view as we do not spend a lot of time on the balcony, except some cruises where there is a lot of land viewing. How would you compare a balcony to OV?

what itinerary? that would make a big difference in balocny use.

I agree, one that would have a lot of viewing like Alaska, a balcony would be it, but Caribbean, I would say no. Being used to a balcony, would we be happy with OV. I know it is a matter of taste, but just looking for a second, third... thought.

I think that question is very subjective. For me, I would be fine with an inside cabin or OV to save money that I could then use onboard or on another cruise. However, DW has been spoiled by the balconies and will not take anything less so we always get a balcony. I think once you have one it is hard to go back...:D

Gosh, I think it depends. For my first two cruises, I had interior staterooms, and didn't know any better. For my third, we had a balcony. We didn't spend a great deal of time out there, but sailing in to port, and for sailaway, we did enjoy it.

Then, we took our two Princess cruises, for which we had OV staterooms. Having the window was okay, because it provided enough natural light to wake us up in the morning. However, whenever I woke to see we were sailing into port, I had to get dressed, leave the stateroom and go up 9 decks to the lido deck (or higher for a better view) in order to video and otherwise properly "take in" how picturesque sailing in was. I missed going out onto the balcony in a robe and doing this. We also missed the occasional fresh air in the stateroom that an open balcony door provides (I've got two letters for you flamers).

So, if those sorts of things are important to you, you may want to consider keeping the balcony. If you've done a zillion cruises and taking in the views during sailaway and arrival are no big deal to you, an oceanview may be fine. I suggest you start taking zinc a week before your sailing to build up your immunity a bit, as without the balcony you're forced to breath the recirculated air.

Good luck choosing. :)

However, whenever I woke to see we were sailing into port, I had to get dressed, leave the stateroom and go up 9 decks to the lido deck (or higher for a better view) in order to video and otherwise properly "take in" how picturesque sailing in was. I missed going out onto the balcony in a robe and doing this.

Since money is a fairly important consideration for me, I can live with with putting on my pants and taking an elevator if it means saving 35-50% on a sailing.

And while I don't want to discourage anyone from giving Princess more money - thereby buoying up my CCL stock - I would say that on my Most Scenic Sea Days (Glacier Bay, Canal transit, sailaway under the Golden Gate Bridge, etc.) I relished the freedom of moving around the decks for better and/or more varied views rather than being stuck in one spot. But that's just me: YMMV.

And just to nit-pick...you don't have to go all the way up to Lido deck. Just about any spot on the Promenade deck has more expansive views than your balcony. Actually, on most Princess ships, if you were 9 decks below Lido you'd be in the medical center, presumably with bigger things on your mind than taking videos.

It was Murphys Law that every time we splurged on a balcony we were always downwind from a heavy smoker...so we went to ocean view cabins or inside and found out that we didnt mind them at all. I compare the price, the number of days at sea versus in port, etc. but now especially that Princess doesnt allow smoking on balconies any more, I might be tempted again!

Feel it is much healthier to have a little fresh air in ones cabin.

They always tell us the Air Conditioning is kept very clean but honestly how do we know? With all the coughs and colds I have experienced around me on a cruise which I seem to catch ,probably due to a large number of bodies being confined to a ship, a balcony would be my choice every time.

After ten cruises in a balcony/mini, we did two cruises in a Window Suite and one cruise in an Oceanview. We had the Window Suites for two Inside Passage cruises in Alaska and the views from the windows were some of the best on the ship. Although a WS is an oceanview cabin, it is nothing like a true Ocenview cabin. The Princess Oceanview cabins, at least on the Coral, are a different arrangement than balcony cabins and the layout could best be described as "efficient". There is the standard desk chair, arm chair and small round table, but there was no room to walk around the table and we moved it to the closet. You had to move the arm chair to open the mini-fridge. The bed was against the window and the mirror was on the opposite side. You could lay in bed and look out the reflection of the window in the mirror so that was nice.

After that cruise, we booked a Guarantee cabin for a full transit Panama Canal cruise on the Island in the lowest category Obstructed Oceanview. We will use part of the savings to book the Sanctuary for the duration of the cruise.

We will still book balconies on many future cruises but we will now consider an Oceanview cabin on occasion.

Coming into port is important to me... just love getting up early and seeing this, even though I've seen most ports I've been to many, many times. It's still mesmerizing. BUT... I don't wake up pretty, and can't get past the idea of 'looking' normal when I go upside. So... I pay extra for the balcony, just so I can relax in the am before meeting all y'all !! :)

Only one balcony in 20 cruises..that was a waste, we spent maybe 20 minutes tops on the balcony on a 7 day cruise......we love being on deck and in the bars and not in our room...so never again a balcony, but a window is great with us, so we can see the weather.

I think this is something everyone has to decide for themselves.What is important to you. What is important to one person is not to another.There is no right or wrong cabin only personal wants/needs.My husband loves an oceanview.I do not care as long as I am on a cruise.We have friends who love balconies.Have a great cruise.

We are one of those families who started with an inside, then snagged a not too pricey oceanview, then tried a balcony... now there is almost no going back, at least not for DH. He loves sitting out on the balcony reading, even on port days, since frankly he'd rather be there than socializing in the clubs or going to a show (not that he won't accompany me if I want to go, but he does love hanging out on the balcony). If you have someone in your party that likes to take a break from the crowds and would enjoy the balcony, that might be the solution for you. If it made the difference between a cruise and no cruise, however, I'd have no problem putting us back in an inside!

We've used both balcony and ocean views, starting back in the last century with an ocean view. The only time we've ever not really used the balcony was on a port intensive Mediterranean cruise where we had a minisuite with an open balcony. It was just too hot when we wanted to use it in late afternoon.

We love the balcony for sailaways, relaxed reading, naps, or just wave watching, breakfast on the balcony, late night stargazing on the balcony, and just plain privacy it offers for those 1:1 conversations over a shared drink.

We've shared some magical moments on the balcony when sighting flying fish in the Caribbean and Med, whales in Alaska, otters in Alaska, and even a dolphin who accompanied our ship into port at Oahu. I wouldn't trade those moments for anything.

We've had some issues with the reconditioned air in an oceanview and are now under ship's Doctor's orders to sail in balcony cabins so we can open the door and get fresh air into our cabin each day. (We do not sleep with door open - for safety's sake). I can live with that ;).

Whatever you choose, happy sailing ! :)

I absolutely love to have a balcony, but I gladly give it up every once in a while so that I can be able to book an extra cruise during the year.

If the price is right, I book a balcony. If I save a bundle with an inside or ocean view, I take the extra money and book an additional cruise.

It was Murphys Law that every time we splurged on a balcony we were always downwind from a heavy smoker...so we went to ocean view cabins or inside and found out that we didnt mind them at all. I compare the price, the number of days at sea versus in port, etc. but now especially that Princess doesnt allow smoking on balconies any more, I might be tempted again!

We are NOT booking balconies anymore for the same reason..smoking not allowed on balconys. My husband likes to chew on a cigar, and occasionally light it. Even when he just chewed on it, people complained of smoke. There WAS NO smoke...except in their minds.

So now..we have two cruises scheduled on Princess.one paid for ..the other not yet.....One ..booked before the No smoking..is a balcony on the Riveria Deck. The other..booked after the ban..Is OV on the Plaza Deck.

We are NOT booking balconies anymore for the same reason..smoking not allowed on balconys. My husband likes to chew on a cigar, and occasionally light it. Even when he just chewed on it, people complained of smoke. There WAS NO smoke...except in their minds.

So now..we have two cruises scheduled on Princess.one paid for ..the other not yet.....One ..booked before the No smoking..is a balcony on the Riveria Deck. The other..booked after the ban..Is OV on the Plaza Deck.

your post confused me. Smoking in the cabin has always been a no no. There is no smoking except designated areas on the ship

Ever since balconies have become commonplace in cruiseship cabins, we have taken a balcony cabin. I did one time go back to an oceanview cabin for one cruise when I had family aboard that had a cabin. For some reason, I slept very well in that cabin (the flipped arrangement of the beds? who knows?) but I just am no longer prepared to give up my tiny blue backyard. :)

Archived