Soggy Dollar Bar

bettyboop16

Hi, I am looking for info on the Soggy Dollar Bar & I can't remember exactly where or how you can get there. I believe you can take an excursion from Tortola??

Does anyone have a pic they could post? I would like to show hubby a pic.

Thanks, Betty

Hi, I am looking for info on the Soggy Dollar Bar & I can't remember exactly where or how you can get there. I believe you can take an excursion from Tortola??

Thanks, Betty

If you Google the Soggy Dollar, you will find many images there. We were there earlier this year, and we went there by catamaran, and it took 45 minutes. We were not impressed and wouldn't go back.

I did this trip and it was a blast. Someone from our group booked through BVI 360. The jet boat ride was a breeze and it didn't take long to get there. Love, Love those painkillers

Were you on a cruise ship? We are looking at a cruise & Tortola is a port stop. Have already been to Tortola twice via cruise ship. :)

Betty

What makes this bar so special it is worth this much effort to get there and back? Go to Pussers in Tortola...... you can walk from the ship and it's lots of fun.

We didn't think it was special, but most tours and excursions are very subjective.:)

Thanks, Betty

We went there on a private tour when we stayed in St Thomas for a coupe of weeks.

Doing it when on a cruise ship -- very hard to do because of times in port.

JMO -- it was okay.

We went to the Soggy Dollar on the Carnival Freedom excursion from Tortola to Jost Van Dyke. The ride over and back was really rough due to high winds. This is one time you want to take the ship's excursion - we did not get back to the ship until 2:30pm and the ship was due to sail at 2pm. They pulled up the gangway and sailed as soon as we were all aboard.

Carnival's Excursion drops you on the beach at the far end of the cove. Just walk down to the Soggy Dollar. It was 4 deep trying to get a Painkiller (drink) and they sold lots of overpriced T shirts and hats and other trinkets. There are some other small bars on the beach and places that sell snacks and sundries to the folks who arrive on the private yachts.

The beach is beautiful, but a trip there just for the Soggy Dollar would be a monumental disappointment. FYI if you want to do this excursion book it online well ahead of the cruise. It was completely sold out weeks before the cruise and therefore was not listed in the excursion booklet in the cabin.

You will likely be disappointed as it is not what it used to be. I first sailed into White Bay, anchored and waded ashore to the Soggy Dollar in 1983. In those days the patrons were just sailors and the local hotel patrons. We sailors would get wet coming ashore and would have to hang our paper money on a clothes line above the bar to dry out -- thus the name. Once the cruise ship pax starting coming, it became a tourist attraction and lost most of its original charm.

When on a cruise ship stop at Tortola, I have stopped going to the Soggy. Instead, we take a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay on the other side or Tortola and enjoy the beach bars there. Yes, it's crowded from cruise pax, but at least you can get there relatively easily and in less than 30 minutes from the cruise pier.

You will likely be disappointed as it is not what it used to be. I first sailed into White Bay, anchored and waded ashore to the Soggy Dollar in 1983. In those days the patrons were just sailors and the local hotel patrons. We sailors would get wet coming ashore and would have to hang our paper money on a clothes line above the bar to dry out -- thus the name. Once the cruise ship pax starting coming, it became a tourist attraction and lost most of its original charm.

When on a cruise ship stop at Tortola, I have stopped going to the Soggy. Instead, we take a taxi over to Cane Garden Bay on the other side or Tortola and enjoy the beach bars there. Yes, it's crowded from cruise pax, but at least you can get there relatively easily and in less than 30 minutes from the cruise pier.

We've only been to the Soggy Dollar Bar once, but I absolutely loved the Bar, the Painkillers -- and that beautiful beach. I can only imagine what it was like, back in the day! Thanks for the Cane Garden Bay tip, Dave. We'll check that out, next time we have a cruise stop in Tortola! :cool:

Glad to be of help. At the end of the day, there are many wonderful beach bars in the BVI to choose from -- the only challenge is getting there and back in time during a cruise ship stop in Roadtown, Tortola. A good solution is Windstar who do a cruise to the BVI from St. Martin. We did it two years ago and had a great time. It's the next best thing to sailing your own charter boat around the islands.

Glad to be of help. At the end of the day, there are many wonderful beach bars in the BVI to choose from -- the only challenge is getting there and back in time during a cruise ship stop in Roadtown, Tortola. A good solution is Windstar who do a cruise to the BVI from St. Martin. We did it two years ago and had a great time. It's the next best thing to sailing your own charter boat around the islands.

I think I would like to sail Windstar in the future. We are looking at booking the Jewel out of SJ. Cruise does stop in Tortola & I have been there twice already & we went over to Virgin Gorda. Soggy Dollar sounded kinda fun! jumping out of the boat & swimming to shore.

Betty

Went there in Jan while in Tortola from the Carnival Breeze. Had a group (20 people I think) and booked with BVI tours. Only took about 25 minutes to get there. We were there for about 4hrs. The excursion thru Carnival does fill up fast - was full weeks before we sailed. They were only there for 2 hrs and cost about twice as much.

I loved the beach. We are not really into the booze, so only bought the T-Shirt.

Would do it again.

Archived