Need help on deciding about Bagan

We will be on the Voyager in Dec with what was supposed to be a 3 day stop in Myanmar. Due to some strange explanations it will now be a 2 day stop. Question is, should we just take the offered tours which include the Shwedagon Pagoda and the Chaukhtatgyi Pagoda as well as some cultural events which I guess to be dance performances OR do we sign up for the overnight to go to Bagan which is $1000.00/person. If we go to Bagan it will be the only thing we do because of the shortened stay.

I know everyone will have different opinions, but I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Phyllis

We just returned from myanmar river cruise this year. While Yangon's pagodas are pretty special the high lite for us was definitely Bagan. The vast number of stupas and the different designs and ages and the ability to see these was so very special for us. If we only could do one we would go for Bagan without a doubt.

However $1000 per person is pricey. If cost is not an issue go for it. Just our 2 cents worth.

Absolutely, positively do the overnight to Began. For what Regent give you for the money it is one of the best paid tours. Spend the money and go.

IMO, Began rivals Machu Pichu, Petra or Angkor Wat. Our was a long day starting about 4am with a long ride to the airport. The flight was on Air Began on an vanilla ATR-73 high wing turbo prop. They are good safe planes and I have flown them all over the world.

Debarking the plane we spent the rest of the day touring ending at the climbing the

Shwesandaw Temple to view the sunset. Then it was off to the hotel. Regent put us up the the Began Lodge. It was a very nice property with very large suites. Google the pics.

We left the next AM early and flew back.

While the Shwedagon Pagoda in Yangoon is spectacular. Having been to both, it doesn't rival the whole Began experience.

You can email me below if you have any specific questions.

Enjoy.

J

I second the others who encourage you to see Bagan - unless you plan another visit to Myanmar in the near future, when you could stay longer, see more and absorb the very special atmosphere there. Sure, the Shwedagon Pagoda is magnificent but it might be that you're "templed out" by the time you get there...Bagan is simply unique and well worth the early start/long day. In fact, I'd need no persuasion to return and travel independently to spend longer there - like Jack, we were part of a (small) river cruise group with a jam packed programme of activities to follow. Myanmar is so interesting and the people absolutely delightful but it's changing fast.

Can you tell I'm envious!?

(if you're interested, I blogged about our travels there - http://www.elegantsufficiency.org/blog/tag/myanmar

Edited by Gilly

I can't comment on the Regent tour to Bagan but we took a Silversea arranged tour a couple of years ago. Ours was 1.5 days with the second morning including the 'Balloons Over Bagan'. As the title suggests this is an early morning air balloon flight over the Bagan temples and it is absolutely awesome - definitely one of my top ten experiences anywhere in the world. So if this is on offer do consider it.

One further point on Shwedagon Pagoda. If it is possible to see it at night, either by visiting or from a viewpoint it is spectacular IMHO and well worth the trip.

Bagan suffered a major earthquake last night. Many of the sights you would want to see are badly damaged. This is very sad news.

Wow! You are right on top of things. The USGS confirms the quake: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006gbf#executive

Some, not all, news outlets have stories reported as of a short time ago.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-24/myanmar-earthquake-damages-famed-bagan-temples-police-say/7782878

I'm guessing overshadowed by the quake in Italy and Myanmar/Burma's (still) relative isolation.

Edited by Portolan

Bagan suffered a major earthquake last night. Many of the sights you would want to see are badly damaged. This is very sad news.

Wow, thanks for the info. It appears that one of the main temples, Sulamani was severely damaged. It housed an impressive amount of 12-14th century frescoes in the interior. I hope that it was just the exterior facades that were damage.

Most of the Began temple are made from red brick and the more important ones have been repaired from earthquake damage over the centuries.

j