Regent Suite - The Edsel of our Time?

mrlevin

The Regent Suite is booked for most of the inaugural season; eleven of the remaining twelve sailings in 2016. When you look at 2017, it is a far different story. The Regent Suite is booked for only 13 of 32 sailings. :eek:

This is true even for those sailings that are booking well. Could the Regent Suite turn out to be one of the examples of boondoggle in future dictionaries?

Marc

Whether the Regent Suite is booked or not is not really the point. It was created as a marketing gimmick to portray the ship as the most luxurious ever. Kind of like "the Residence" on the Etihad A380, a private two room suite that sells for an equally unrealistic amount of money is is not always booked.

But one suite does not a ship make. Far more important is what the rest of the ship offers imo.

And the rest of the ship (in its three "low" categories) offers beds that are smaller than in any of the suites on the other ships. Tant pis for us once-happy steerage-type passengers.

The Regent Suite is selling well enough for management to announce a probable price increase for that suite next year. They are quite happy with how it is doing.

I'm finding it surprising and a bit sad that people that have not even been on the ship are picking it apart. The Explorer isn't for everyone (nor is Regent) but there are a lot of us that are over the moon excited about everything that the Explorer has to offer. Certainly the ship (and/or Regent) is not perfect. But, with everything in life, we look at the positives and do not focus on the negatives.

When I say that photos do not do it justice, it because you're only seeing a small piece of the whole picture. For instance, the bluish lighting above the large table when you enter CR sort of makes the venue look glitzy. However, when you see the entire space, it is a very small part of the dining room. The rest is quite subdued. And, the huge chandelier that is often photographed is in a huge space (where Reception, Destination Services, the G.M. and Cruise Consultant's office and 2 large seating areas are). Photos simply do not put things into perspective.

In terms of the Regent Suite, if you have the opportunity to see it, you would want to find a way to afford it - even if it were just for the amazing spa area. That space in particular was entirely different that in the brochures. There is so much more to it than you can see in any photo.

I don't think people are picking things apart as you have quoted,it's just that people are commenting on various points they have noticed from reports and looking in depth at the cabin sizes to name a few things.

There are quite a few reviews now that are giving a variety of likes and dislikes, and not all as satisfied with the extra special maiden voyage they expected.Yes photos don't always do justice to anything, and time will tell until each and everyone of us actually has the opportunity to sail on Explorer.

In terms of the Regent Suite, if you have the opportunity to see it, you would want to find a way to afford it - even if it were just for the amazing spa area. That space in particular was entirely different that in the brochures. There is so much more to it than you can see in any photo.

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever see the inside of the Regent Suite, let alone book it. Unless I win the lottery. Which I won't. Because I don't buy tickets.

Honestly, though, when you look at the Regent Suite on a cost/square foot basis, then take into account all of the amenities you receive, it's a relative bargain...for the much more well-heeled than myself, you understand. Plus, you get a complimentary tote bag. What's not to love??

Yeah, I don't think I'll ever see the inside of the Regent Suite, let alone book it. Unless I win the lottery. Which I won't. Because I don't buy tickets.

Honestly, though, when you look at the Regent Suite on a cost/square foot basis, then take into account all of the amenities you receive, it's a relative bargain...for the much more well-heeled than myself, you understand. Plus, you get a complimentary tote bag. What's not to love??

You never know - you could meet someone onboard and get invited for cocktails in the suite. Although someone from our Explorer cruise had the opportunity to view the suites, on the MV, she was invited to the Master Suite. In terms of staying there, we don't play the lottery either so we won't be staying in the Regent Suite. However, for those that can afford it, it is quite a bargain (if you figure in the chauffeur at every port, unlimited spa treatments, etc.) I watch a show on television where small groups of people rent a yacht for four days. While I don't know the cost of renting the yacht, the tips the crew receives for 4 days is usually around $16-18K.

In terms of complaints on the maiden voyage, IMO, the cruise was priced a bit high for a maiden voyage (guess it wasn't that high since there were over 200 people on the waiting list at one point). So many people wanted to be on that voyage that executives that planned on staying on board left to make room for passengers. I believe that Randall Soy was the only executive left onboard for that voyage.

I also wonder how many people could have such high expectations for a maiden voyage. We all know the potential problems of maiden voyages and many people will not sail on a maiden voyage (or a voyage after a refurbishment) because they know that there will be issues on the ship.

While I certainly understand some disappointment regarding suite sizes and/or configurations, a lack of bathtubs and lack of single suites, I do think that people may find that they like the ship more than they think they will. After all, many people love the Mariner yet they have the smallest regular suites and have either a bathtub that is dangerous to get into and out of or a shower-only suite.

Bill tends to bring up the glass half empty or half full scenario ....... we definitely have a half full outlook. Based on reading posts over the years, some posters are on the same cruise as others and one will find the negative and the other the positive.

I once asked my DH why his first comment about something tends to be negative (BTW, he loves the Explorer). Usually, after a day or so his opinion turns around 180 degrees. In his case, he said that this is how he was raised (note: born and raised in London - stayed through college). I bring this up so that some of us reading posts take into consideration where the poster is "coming from" (i.e. their general attitude).

Sometimes the onboard experience may not be quite as wonderful as I see it but is definitely not as grim as another poster may see it.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm finding it surprising and a bit sad that people that have not even been on the ship are picking it apart.

Unless the rules have changed, anyone can make assumptions or have opinions on CC.

CC members' posts and reviews, positive or negative, are all valid and it is perfectly natural that some will not be as impressed with everything on the new ship, whereas others are obviously totally sold on Explorer

This is true for those who have been on the ship (where opinions appear to vary immensely reading the posted reviews) and for those who have just read the advertising, professional write-ups, posts and reviews

We have some (minor) concerns but are looking forward to sailing on Explorer next Spring when we will finally decide whether the layout, facilities and service on Explorer suits us or not

CC members' posts and reviews, positive or negative, are all valid and it is perfectly natural that some will not be as impressed with everything on the new ship, whereas others are obviously totally sold on Explorer

This is true for those who have been on the ship (where opinions appear to vary immensely reading the posted reviews) and for those who have just read the advertising, professional write-ups, posts and reviews

We have some (minor) concerns but are looking forward to sailing on Explorer next Spring when we will finally decide whether the layout, facilities and service on Explorer suits us or not

Of course all posts and reviews, positive or negative are permitted but, IMO, not necessarily "valid" (based on the definition of valid). Also agree that opinions will vary quite a bit.

In terms of write-ups, posts and reviews of the shake-down, christening and maiden voyage, I would take most comments with a grain of salt (including my comments) because these cruises were basically all "shake-down" cruises. What I would take from reviews are the wonderful photographs posted of the ship that so many people generously provided for everyone. Even then, realize that the photos only give you a glimpse of the Explorer.

Soon (perhaps now?) the reviews will be based on a completed ship and a crew that has worked with actual passengers on a full ship. There will still be varying reviews but may be more representative of what a cruise on the Explorer is like. I look forward to future reviews of the Explorer.

P.S. Yes Flossie, I do find it sad to read negative opinions of the Explorer (or any other ship) when a person has not sailed on her. Criticizing factual information about the ship is understandable (which is what we initially did when deciding to go on Regent in the first place without having sailed on any of their ships) but making assumptions about the ship does not seem fair.

The Regent Suite is selling well enough for management to announce a probable price increase for that suite next year. They are quite happy with how it is doing.

I'm finding it surprising and a bit sad that people that have not even been on the ship are picking it apart. The Explorer isn't for everyone (nor is Regent) but there are a lot of us that are over the moon excited about everything that the Explorer has to offer. Certainly the ship (and/or Regent) is not perfect. But, with everything in life, we look at the positives and do not focus on the negatives.

When I say that photos do not do it justice, it because you're only seeing a small piece of the whole picture. For instance, the bluish lighting above the large table when you enter CR sort of makes the venue look glitzy. However, when you see the entire space, it is a very small part of the dining room. The rest is quite subdued. And, the huge chandelier that is often photographed is in a huge space (where Reception, Destination Services, the G.M. and Cruise Consultant's office and 2 large seating areas are). Photos simply do not put things into perspective.

TC2,

If you're referring to my post (and quite possibly you weren't) I was not picking apart the ship, I was talking about the administration of Regent who use the Regent suite to personify the entire ship and it does not. Regent has always been prone to hyperbole (Six star cruise line? Give me a break. Who assigned those six stars if not Regent themselves?) And their worst offense????? FREE excursions!!!!! jmo.

TC2,

If you're referring to my post (and quite possibly you weren't) I was not picking apart the ship, I was talking about the administration of Regent who use the Regent suite to personify the entire ship and it does not. Regent has always been prone to hyperbole (Six star cruise line? Give me a break. Who assigned those six stars if not Regent themselves?) And their worst offense????? FREE excursions!!!!! jmo.

I wasn't referring to your post - just Explorer posts in general. I agree that the Regent suite does not personify the entire ship. And, amazing, we agree on "FREE excursions". However (there is usually a "however":) ), although Regent assigned the name "the most luxurious ship ever built" to the Explorer, I believe the six star luxury rating may (or may not) be assigned by true "cruise critics", books, magazines and Cruise Critic itself.

Don't all major (meaning Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea) all carry the six star rating? There are many arguments that be made about which cruise line is truly luxury but that is probably a discussion for another time.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's patootie how many 'stars' something gets unless I'm doing a direct comparison using identical data sets. There is so much objectivity in these types of things as to be virtually worthless.

I read the inclusions, and the reviews, and I make my decisions based on that. You could call Regent 3-star and I wouldn't care...

:D

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's patootie how many 'stars' something gets unless I'm doing a direct comparison using identical data sets. There is so much objectivity in these types of things as to be virtually worthless.

I read the inclusions, and the reviews, and I make my decisions based on that. You could call Regent 3-star and I wouldn't care...

:D

You have a way of phrasing things that either make us laugh or somehow encourages us to agree with you. Six stars for your post:D

I wasn't referring to your post - just Explorer posts in general. I agree that the Regent suite does not personify the entire ship. And, amazing, we agree on "FREE excursions". However (there is usually a "however":) ), although Regent assigned the name "the most luxurious ship ever built" to the Explorer, I believe the six star luxury rating may (or may not) be assigned by true "cruise critics", books, magazines and Cruise Critic itself.

Don't all major (meaning Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea) all carry the six star rating? There are many arguments that be made about which cruise line is truly luxury but that is probably a discussion for another time.

OK, good. But I do believe Regent assigned itself those six stars as there really is no authority that even has a six star rating. It's another marketing gimmick just like the Burj Al Arab giving itself seven stars.

Well, I give all of my posts here eight stars. So there. :p

Sorry sir, this is not valid. :eek: :D

P.S. Actually, the first definition of the word "valid" is

1.(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent:

My earlier point pertains to posts and reviews on Cruise Critic which are are anonymous. We have no idea if the post or review has a "sound basis in logic or fact".

Edited by Travelcat2

The Regent Suite is booked for most of the inaugural season; eleven of the remaining twelve sailings in 2016. When you look at 2017, it is a far different story. The Regent Suite is booked for only 13 of 32 sailings. :eek:

This is true even for those sailings that are booking well. Could the Regent Suite turn out to be one of the examples of boondoggle in future dictionaries?

Marc

I've given this some thought and concluded the Regent Suite is a brilliant move. But time will tell.

Yes, it allows the "most Luxurious Ship Ever Built" moniker; Regent has made good use of that. But moreover:

It hasn't given up vital space - they have lots of restaurants and lounges.

It hasn't pushed the capacity towards or over 800 and towards the competitors.

It doesn't need many clients to use it per cruise - not like the need to sell millions of Edsels. And not every well-heeled wants to use a private yacht!

It should appeal to lots of CEOs who might want to bring a group of his/her employees and entertain them in awesome style for special cocktail parties on the RS's verandah.

Regent can write-off it's non-revenue use for marketing. for

I've given this some thought and concluded the Regent Suite is a brilliant move. But time will tell.

Yes, it allows the "most Luxurious Ship Ever Built" moniker; Regent has made good use of that. But moreover:

It hasn't given up vital space - they have lots of restaurants and lounges.

It hasn't pushed the capacity towards or over 800 and towards the competitors.

It doesn't need many clients to use it per cruise - not like the need to sell millions of Edsels. And not every well-heeled wants to use a private yacht!

It should appeal to lots of CEOs who might want to bring a group of his/her employees and entertain them in awesome style for special cocktail parties on the RS's verandah.

Regent can write-off it's non-revenue use for marketing. for

Agree 100%!