New to Regent: Penthouse or Horizon?

ClanMcLean

Hello :)

This will be our first trip with Regent and only our second cruise/voyage. We've previously sailed with Cunard, transatlantic.

I was looking for a trip that would fit in with the Christmas school (Scotland) holidays, but the larger 'fun park' style ships do not appeal to us. Although we're traveling with our 6 year old, so long as there's a pool, he's happy :D

I have a quote for the 4th Jan Miami - Miami sailing which is for a Penthouse Suite. I've just been looking at the accommodations again and the Horizon suite is only slightly more expensive, but looks like it has the 'wow' factor. Does anyone have personal experience of both? Any preferences? Do they both have baths (been reading lots of differing reviews) or should I specify a suite with a bath?

Am I right in thinking the pre-cruise hotel in Miami is the Hyatt Regency? What standard of room would they put a family of 3?

I get a bit 'twitchy' at airports etc. How smooth are the transfers? Will there always be a representative to look out for?

Does anyone have any experience of cruising with Regent having a food allergy? Unfortunately my son has serveral, but he has very simple tastes, so is easy to cater for, given notice.

Thanks in advance :D

Hello :)

This will be our first trip with Regent and only our second cruise/voyage. We've previously sailed with Cunard, transatlantic.

I was looking for a trip that would fit in with the Christmas school (Scotland) holidays, but the larger 'fun park' style ships do not appeal to us. Although we're traveling with our 6 year old, so long as there's a pool, he's happy :D

I have a quote for the 4th Jan Miami - Miami sailing which is for a Penthouse Suite. I've just been looking at the accommodations again and the Horizon suite is only slightly more expensive, but looks like it has the 'wow' factor. Does anyone have personal experience of both? Any preferences? Do they both have baths (been reading lots of differing reviews) or should I specify a suite with a bath?

Am I right in thinking the pre-cruise hotel in Miami is the Hyatt Regency? What standard of room would they put a family of 3?

I get a bit 'twitchy' at airports etc. How smooth are the transfers? Will there always be a representative to look out for?

Does anyone have any experience of cruising with Regent having a food allergy? Unfortunately my son has serveral, but he has very simple tastes, so is easy to cater for, given notice.

Thanks in advance :D

Hello back.

Don't have experience of the Horizon suite but there is definitely someone here that can help......

I can however help with the (Scottish school holidays) I'm guessing the 6yeo will be back at school and you will be having a wee jaunt to yourselves. :D

In terms of Penthouse vs. Horizon suite, it depends upon the ship.

1. On the Mariner, the PH suite is much larger than on the other ships. On the other hand, while quite a bit smaller, the Horizon suites have a large balcony (just try to avoid being under La Veranda).

2. On the Navigator, I would not book a Horizon suite as there is a significant aft vibration. However, the PH suite is the same size as regular suites so unless you want a butler, it may not be worth the extra money.

3. The Voyager PH suites are slightly larger than regular suites and have a better configuration. There is an aft vibration on the Voyager but it isn't as bad as on the Navigator. We have been in an aft suite and, since we knew about the vibration in advance, it didn't really bother me. The Horizon suite on the Voyager is larger than on the Mariner.

4. If you are looking at the Explorer, we have only stayed in a concierge suite mid-ship which was lovely. I can only assume that the aft suites are fine. Since you are traveling with a 6 year old, the PH suites on the Explorer may not work as well as other suites (due to the configuration).

In terms of allergies, Regent does very well in accommodating guests with allergies. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I have will post with more details.

Edited by Travelcat2

Well, I went to the RSSC site and found a Miami-Miami trip in January; that one was on Mariner. If I'm right, the Horizon Suite is really fun! We had the one next to it, so can't comment on actually "living" in the Horizon Suite but it looked spacious, and that aft balcony is amazing! We were in a Seven Seas Aft Suite for Mariner's first Alaskan trip, and the people in the aft suites almost became a little club, because we were all out hanging over the balconies to see what was going on. I can't comment on interior because I think they are going to redo the ships, but at that time the sleeping area could be closed off from the living area. Go for it!

Food Allergies.

A lot depends on what is his issues are and how sick he might get if he eats the wrong food.You do not say so I am generalizing.

You can not trust Regent to get the food perfect. Nor can you trust any cruise line.

First is because the sous chef that make the food are usually not trained sufficiently to know all the nuances of prepacked ingredients they might be using. So unless his diet is one of only whole fresh foods, be careful.

Second, many of the food product are prepackaged, canned or in huge bulk containers. It is hard to guarantee that none contain any allergens.

Lastly, you are on a ship at sea with limited medical and possibly many hours/days away a first class hospital.

I have some food issues too and I have personally seen some really bad mistakes, one was even when I was dining with the General Manager. My food issues are not life threatening, so it was not a huge deal, but for others it can be serious and I think more so becasue he is a child.

j

Food Allergies.

A lot depends on what is his issues are and how sick he might get if he eats the wrong food.You do not say so I am generalizing.

You can not trust Regent to get the food perfect. Nor can you trust any cruise line.

First is because the sous chef that make the food are usually not trained sufficiently to know all the nuances of prepacked ingredients they might be using. So unless his diet is one of only whole fresh foods, be careful.

Second, many of the food product are prepackaged, canned or in huge bulk containers. It is hard to guarantee that none contain any allergens.

Lastly, you are on a ship at sea with limited medical and possibly many hours/days away a first class hospital.

I have some food issues too and I have personally seen some really bad mistakes, one was even when I was dining with the General Manager. My food issues are not life threatening, so it was not a huge deal, but for others it can be serious and I think more so becasue he is a child.

j

Hi there,

Unfortunately his allergies are severe, but it's not something that stops us eating out or going on holiday. He needs to learn to how to handle his allergies in different situations, and for a 6 year old he's remarkably responsible. That said, obviously we carry 2 epi pens among our medication.

We're actually leaning towards cruises as it's easier for his allergies. We get to see different places, but don't have the hassle of trying to find somewhere appropriate to eat every meal.

Our recent experince on Cunard (with regards to allergies) was mixed, but it was more to do with communication more than anything. We were expecting a '5 star Service' (especially in Queens Grill!) but sadly it was not consistent.

So I guess my question is more "how well do they deal with requests" than "should I take my allergy kid on a cruise".

Okay, I was in a hurry before to figure out which ship you were talking about. On the food allergies, have you investigated the Disney ships? I have absolutely NO experience either with Disney ships or with dangerous food allergies, but I am in awe of how many children with that type of allergies can go to Disney World and the chefs are totally prepared for whatever you might throw at them. I would assume the chefs on their cruise ships would be just that awesome.

I'm not trying to detract from Regent, it will always be my "home' cruise line even though I haven't cruised on one of the ships since my husband's death (that dreaded single supplement, plus other reasons non-related to Regent). I just know that Disney seems to be the company to deal with allergies.

Okay, I was in a hurry before to figure out which ship you were talking about. On the food allergies, have you investigated the Disney ships? I have absolutely NO experience either with Disney ships or with dangerous food allergies, but I am in awe of how many children with that type of allergies can go to Disney World and the chefs are totally prepared for whatever you might throw at them. I would assume the chefs on their cruise ships would be just that awesome.

I'm not trying to detract from Regent, it will always be my "home' cruise line even though I haven't cruised on one of the ships since my husband's death (that dreaded single supplement, plus other reasons non-related to Regent). I just know that Disney seems to be the company to deal with allergies.

Yes, I've heard great things about Disney, but nearly fainted when I looked at the price of suites :eek:

Hi there,

Unfortunately his allergies are severe, but it's not something that stops us eating out or going on holiday. He needs to learn to how to handle his allergies in different situations, and for a 6 year old he's remarkably responsible. That said, obviously we carry 2 epi pens among our medication.

We're actually leaning towards cruises as it's easier for his allergies. We get to see different places, but don't have the hassle of trying to find somewhere appropriate to eat every meal.

Our recent experince on Cunard (with regards to allergies) was mixed, but it was more to do with communication more than anything. We were expecting a '5 star Service' (especially in Queens Grill!) but sadly it was not consistent.

So I guess my question is more "how well do they deal with requests" than "should I take my allergy kid on a cruise".

Hi again, sorry for being flippant but was just kidding about the school hols in Scotland.

I don't know if i have posted this on here before but when we were on the Navigator in June there was a lady and gentleman we met in the lift after dinner and the usual pleasantries ensued, we asked if they enjoyed dinner and apparently they had a very bad experience involving allergies. The lady had a nut allergy and had already told in advance that this was the case so had to pre order her food of an evening, well she only got nuts in her food and it was only because she had had the allergy for so long that she noticed it.......as bad as that was, i met them again on the final night and apparently it had happened again. I can't tell you how it was handled after that but i was very shocked about this.

If you do decide to go then i would make extra extra special assurances( and also as a parent you will do so anyway) to make doubly sure they know what your son's needs are.

Not trying to put a downer on this but you obviously care about your child and i would want you to have a fantastic experience on board.

Pam.

Hi again, sorry for being flippant but was just kidding about the school hols in Scotland.

I don't know if i have posted this on here before but when we were on the Navigator in June there was a lady and gentleman we met in the lift after dinner and the usual pleasantries ensued, we asked if they enjoyed dinner and apparently they had a very bad experience involving allergies. The lady had a nut allergy and had already told in advance that this was the case so had to pre order her food of an evening, well she only got nuts in her food and it was only because she had had the allergy for so long that she noticed it.......as bad as that was, i met them again on the final night and apparently it had happened again. I can't tell you how it was handled after that but i was very shocked about this.

If you do decide to go then i would make extra extra special assurances( and also as a parent you will do so anyway) to make doubly sure they know what your son's needs are.

Not trying to put a downer on this but you obviously care about your child and i would want you to have a fantastic experience on board.

Pam.

Thanks Pam,

That's disappointing to hear and I'm actually quite surprised, as nuts is such a common allergy and generally the one people tend to be quite clued up on.

On the plus side,my son eats very simple foods, so things like grilled fish, roast chicken, etc which does make it easier than entrusting a chef to come up with a 'fancy' plate of food.

Thanks Pam,

That's disappointing to hear and I'm actually quite surprised, as nuts is such a common allergy and generally the one people tend to be quite clued up on.

On the plus side,my son eats very simple foods, so things like grilled fish, roast chicken, etc which does make it easier than entrusting a chef to come up with a 'fancy' plate of food.

You know i'm a really plain eater too,there is always grilled chicken and fish on board and even in the room service menu but i would advise that you are very specific with your needs.

There are other threads there tonight that you may want to look at regarding children on board but don't let them get you down, most people we have met on board (including well behaved children) are fantastic and there are always a few that spoil it for others on board and on THE BOARDS.

Hope you get something good sorted as the wee man sounds grand.

Pam.

Pam.

Unfortunately you can be as specific and forewarning as you want and they can still get the food wrong.

Part of the problem on Regent right now IMO is the new staffing that has come in to replace the staff pulled to the new ship. I have commented about this in other threads. Many newer staff at not yet culturally knowable about food allergies/sensitivities as it it not something they have been exposed to. Those who have worked on the ships for years have learned these issues over time. But many of the food prepping and cooking processes are shared by different people. So mistakes easily happen. And to me, the last year or so, they happen a lot.

j

Thanks Pam :D

We've been filled with confidence after several couples came up to us in the Queen's Grill on the QM2 to comment on how well behaved he is and what a pleasure it was to have him on board *smug mum moment*

He sounds like a wee star! Smug mum go you!

Unfortunately you can be as specific and forewarning as you want and they can still get the food wrong.

Part of the problem on Regent right now IMO is the new staffing that has come in to replace the staff pulled to the new ship. I have commented about this in other threads. Many newer staff at not yet culturally knowable about food allergies/sensitivities as it it not something they have been exposed to. Those who have worked on the ships for years have learned these issues over time. But many of the food prepping and cooking processes are shared by different people. So mistakes easily happen. And to me, the last year or so, they happen a lot.

j

There were other issues too on there which could have been handled better and to be honest we did have a chat with the restaurant manager one evening regarding some issues and felt we were not being listened to, he basically ground his teeth (you could see his jaw working) because i asked for the chicken on the room service menu and a member of staff rudely plonked a tub of ketchup on the table. I was left humiliated and the manager was useless. I was annoyed but not so much as to call every single manager on board to make the situation right for me seeing as they said "it will never happen again"...anyone heard that before?

There were other issues too on there which could have been handled better and to be honest we did have a chat with the restaurant manager one evening regarding some issues and felt we were not being listened to, he basically ground his teeth (you could see his jaw working) because i asked for the chicken on the room service menu and a member of staff rudely plonked a tub of ketchup on the table. I was left humiliated and the manager was useless. I was annoyed but not so much as to call every single manager on board to make the situation right for me seeing as they said "it will never happen again"...anyone heard that before?

Pamlea!. Wow....

How long ago was it when that happened? Was it the restaurant manager or just a head waiter?

It is a real buzz killer when you have to worry all the time that the food is not going to be compliant with your concerns.

j

Thanks Pam :D

We've been filled with confidence after several couples came up to us in the Queen's Grill on the QM2 to comment on how well behaved he is and what a pleasure it was to have him on board *smug mum moment*

I'm sure he will be fine - especially since it is Christmas holiday and there will be other children on board as well.

In terms of the allergies, the one person you may want to speak with is the Food and Beverage Director. He or she will do whatever is possible to insure that food is correctly prepared.

Another recommendation that should help further is finding a server that you particularly like and sit in his/her section every night (usually possible when you dine early). Let the server know about the allergies and they will double check with the kitchen before the food even leaves there to be sure that everything is okay. While all servers on Regent are good, having the same one is easier for both the server and for you and he can anticipate your needs and quickly learns what you like (or do not like) and makes suggestions based on that.

P.S. Although the F&B Directors do a great job, should you have difficulties, please seek out the General Manager (his office is by reception).

Pamlea!. Wow....

How long ago was it when that happened? Was it the restaurant manager or just a head waiter?

It is a real buzz killer when you have to worry all the time that the food is not going to be compliant with your concerns.

j

Hi J,

Started with the head waiter and then onto (i'm presuming ) restaurant manager.

Apparently he was in a meeting when after the first few times we asked but after a little persistence he magically appeared and hey presto!!!.....bing... bang...fizzle, no help whatsoever other than him hating it as it turns out he will be the restaurant manager on out next Regent cruise..hahaha....I'll bet he can't wait to see us (me ) again. :D

We are booked on a cruise which ends in Miami next February and were offered the Hyatt Regency Coral Gables. I'm not sure if this is the usual hotel Regent uses or one of several. Sometimes, the hotel offered is dependent on other factors - level of suite booked, perhaps? Why not give Regent (or your TA) a call and ask?

Edited by Gilly

This is one reason why if we're staying longer than overnight, we do our own thing. We sail from Copenhagen next month and were advised when we booked that the pre-cruise hotel overnight was "usually" the Tivoli, but learned recently that it's the Marriott (I think). On this occasion it's not important to us, so we are relaxed, but in the Miami situation next Feb, we are staying longer, meeting friends and would generally prefer to stay somewhere else. So, we've made our own arrangements and will organise our own transfers, too.