Gaudi's Barcelona w/Colonial Guell

captbuzz

Has anyone done this excursion? We're trying to making a selection.

We did the same excursion with a different cruise line and found it quite interesting on our first visit to Barcelona and probably worth a punt. If the ship is docked at the world trade center it is really easy to get to Las Ramblas and you could probably do the tour and also have time to do your own thing and make your own way back to the ship.

Barcelona is wonderful.

Pam.

I have not done the Regent tour but have been an independent traveller to Barcelona.

Yes, if you manage to dock with the Columbus Monument round-a-bout in view you are at the bottom of the Ramblas. Less than a 5 minutes walk and well worth a stroll if you have time.

Its a great city with a good underground that will get you to within a few hundred yards of Gaudis Sagrada Familia Cathedral. The Cathedral has its own excellent audio guide headsets and would be top of my must see when in Barca.

If you walk up the Ramblas, be sure to go into the covered food market which will be on your left walking away from the ship.

Any football fans out there could do the New Camp. Meh.

A word of CAUTION. Both the Ramblas and the Underground are a hot bed for pick pockets, go figure it's a city full of tourists! Good strong eye contact is usually enough to dissuade any opportunists.

We enjoyed this tour a couple of years ago, we were at the Colonial Guell early in the morning and enjoyed it. You only see the Sagrada from the outside, which I wish we went inside. After our last stop on the tour, we left the tour and walked down Las Ramblas to the ship, after stopping for a fabulous gin and tonic! The Spanish are obsessed with G & Ts!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If it's your first time in Barcelona, I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you only do an exterior fly-by of Sagrada Familia. I know, I know...ABC...(Another Bloody Church). But Sagrada Familia is different, and well worth the time to see the interior.

But that's just me - other people have different priorities. Güell is amazing, and Las Ramblas is well worth a stroll as well.

If my time in Barcelona was limited, I'd say Sagrada Familia is a must-see, Parc Güell is a close second, Casa Batlló is amazing, and Ramblas is great fun, too.

So much to see, so much to do... :D

Edit: Just noticed that this is going to Colonia Güell, not the park. Can't comment on that, I haven't been. But it's more on the western side of the city - probably a half hour drive from the port? Driving an hour round trip on a 5 hour excursion doesn't seem like the best use of time, but if others think it's worth seeing, them maybe I'd take it...I think a lot of it depends on what you want to see. Might be worthwhile to see about doing a private car for the day/half day? Pricier, but you'll maximize your time in town - and we love Barcelons...good luck, whatever you choose!

Edited by UUNetBill

Agree with you Bill and was writing a similar post but lost it (my fingers got lost on the keyboard:-) IMO, the best way to see Sagrada Familia is on an excursion. Also, many believe that this cathedral was one of Gaudi's best works (unfortunately, every time we've been there construction has been going on - it reminds of the Parthenon in Greece which is also under construction most of the time).

In terms of the market alluded to above, it is La Boqueria Market and is at 91, Las Rambla (gringos like Bill and I call it Las Ramblas).

Agree with Pigin about pickpockets. One famous "trick" is to spill something on you and then try to help you clean it up (while their partner is cleaning out your pockets). Just be careful.

We have found that visiting the area early in the morning (9-10 a.m.) is a good time. The crowds have yet to arrive, the mimes and other artists are getting dressed and putting on make-up and the wonderful foods at La Boqueria Market are being put out.

Enjoy your time in Barcelona.

Agree with you Bill and was writing a similar post but lost it (my fingers got lost on the keyboard:-) IMO, the best way to see Sagrada Familia is on an excursion. Also, many believe that this cathedral was one of Gaudi's best works (unfortunately, every time we've been there construction has been going on - it reminds of the Parthenon in Greece which is also under construction most of the time).

In terms of the market alluded to above, it is La Boqueria Market and is at 91, Las Rambla (gringos like Bill and I call it Las Ramblas).

Agree with Pigin about pickpockets. One famous "trick" is to spill something on you and then try to help you clean it up (while their partner is cleaning out your pockets). Just be careful.

We have found that visiting the area early in the morning (9-10 a.m.) is a good time. The crowds have yet to arrive, the mimes and other artists are getting dressed and putting on make-up and the wonderful foods at La Boqueria Market are being put out.

Enjoy your time in Barcelona.

Just a few minor comments:

Believe it or not, Sagrada Familia isn't a cathedral - it's a basilica. Still spectacular, though. Construction isn't slated to be completed until 2026. I plan on going back as much as possible between now and then just to monitor their progress and offer my suggestions on décor. :p

Pickpockets - yes, was going to mention this but figured the OP would read enough suggestions/warnings/horror stories between now and sailing. Zipper pockets with Velcro flaps are your friends.

I've wanted to hit La Boqueria Market the last two times I was there but it was closed the first time and I was with my in-laws who weren't really up for the walk the second time. :( Fortunately, I'm going to be back next April and will try again - third time's the charm, right?? Although we sail on a Sunday, so I'll have to try and get in a few days early...

Have I mentioned that we love Barcelona?? ;)

Have agree with all of the above about the Sagrada Familia. It's like no other church you've ever seen! Be sure to be able to go inside. Standing outside and hearing a guide tell you about the interior is heartbreaking.....so close, but yet so far. The interior is spectacular, unlike any church interior I've ever seen. I would beg to differ with the guide thing. Do a little research and then go on your own. You can get tickets online. You can then spend as much time as like you, inside and out. One of my favorite sites in Europe!

We just returned from Barcelona ( our second visit). On our first visit, we did a drive by of the Sagrada Familia. Very glad we took more time and saw the interior as well.

We booked a skip the line tour of the Sagrada Familia and Parc Güell. It was great to pass the long lines and had nice info.

Some photos to inspire474e2b4e35d72a164b558d90f2804953.jpg

Light streaming Sagrada's windows

d77bb31dddbdcf86a9abc1a6030af0b6.jpg

Be sure to pay attention to all the detail

ebb163a82bb3be4d3c48ee78b564e555.jpg

Awe inspiring interiors

8eff804a00e02fbb6d39529f84d6725b.jpg

Continuous construction is a bit distracting60ce97c6f9f941502a1f6a07c6c08b56.jpg

Parc Güell is so whimsical

1d7dd54ed2d96be5c37a5c015ad122c4.jpg

I agree with the previous posters... Barcelona is a gem.

If you can time the parc with lunch that can be great - grab a sandwitch and a bottle of wine and if the weather is perfect it will be just a great day!!! As everyone has mentioned Barcelona is just fun, and has great food and wine. Enjoy.

If you plan to see La Sagrada Familia on your own, pay heed to above folks who mentioned getting tickets online. Book it as early as possible to ensure you can get in. Otherwise, if entry is available on the day of your planned visit, expect to wait over an hour just to get your ticket to enter at a specific time. I agree that this is a must see; it is breadthtaking and is a prime example of humankind's limitless genius.

The main server in Pinotxo has been featured in several travel shows and is a hoot. You must order a hot chocolate and either a churro or "pan con tomate" (bread with tomato).

Z and TB

We just returned from Barcelona ( our second visit). On our first visit, we did a drive by of the Sagrada Familia. Very glad we took more time and saw the interior as well.

We booked a skip the line tour of the Sagrada Familia and Parc Güell. It was great to pass the long lines and had nice info.

Some photos to inspire474e2b4e35d72a164b558d90f2804953.jpg

Light streaming Sagrada's windows

d77bb31dddbdcf86a9abc1a6030af0b6.jpg

Be sure to pay attention to all the detail

ebb163a82bb3be4d3c48ee78b564e555.jpg

Awe inspiring interiors

8eff804a00e02fbb6d39529f84d6725b.jpg

Continuous construction is a bit distracting60ce97c6f9f941502a1f6a07c6c08b56.jpg

Parc Güell is so whimsical

1d7dd54ed2d96be5c37a5c015ad122c4.jpg

I agree with the previous posters... Barcelona is a gem.

simply lovely photos! I especially liked the window light and the snails!

Visiting Sagreda Familia was for me one of my top peak experiences ever! Of course, "your mileage may vary" but for me just typing this reply and remembering has shivers running up and down my spine again.

We didn't do a tour, and I'm glad we made that choice. There were little corners and viewpoints that I wanted to linger over, which wouldn't have been possible on a tour. If you're going to go on your own, I strongly second other folks advice about buying your tickets well in advance, so you miss the long lines if you buy them on the spot.

I sometimes imagine being in an architect in Barcelona, where Gaudi not only did the basilica but many other amazing buildings throughout the city. I think I would have either moved or changed professions: Gaudi set a very high bar.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

We have been to Barcelona before spending 3 days exploring the city. We have seen most of the items mentioned but have not been to Colonial Guell. I was a little surprised that none of the Regent excurssions included Parc Guell.

We have been to Barcelona before spending 3 days exploring the city. We have seen most of the items mentioned but have not been to Colonial Guell. I was a little surprised that none of the Regent excurssions included Parc Guell.

I think that probably has a lot to do with the limited number of tickets that can be purchased at any one time, I believe it's limited to something like 400 at once? Not sure if there would be an issue selling blocks to Regent and then having to be there at a certain time...could be too much of a logistical headache, I don't know.