Hear, Ye, Hear, Ye! (about bed width on Explorer G)

poss

A detail which I know not too many people are interested in hearing about.

Nonetheless, since it is important to us, and since I raised the question several times, and since I believe I may have been given mis-information several weeks, I hereby proclaim that according to a senior manager at Regent Reservations, who has been in close contact with the GM on Explorer, and who swears that this new info is correct, absolutely correct: the bed width in "G" category Explorer is exactly the same as in "F" category (NOT smaller than). And that width is within an inch of the width of the beds on the other three ships.

Hallelujah!

Ok, ok, I give up. I was trying to be helpful, but I guess I'll call it quits on this subject on the CC board. I just opened an email from my TA (very knowledgeable about Regent) to tell me that she has finally received "The Answer" from Regent. Alas, her information completely contradicts the information that I'd been given just an hour or two ago. I apologize for all this go 'round. I really do intend not to talk about the subject again. Except to say that I very much do not understand how a seemingly simple question could be so difficult to answer. All these left-hand, right-hand games are not one bit fun.

I give up.

Good night, we can all sleep tonight knowing the sheets are all the same size. I have to mention, we have a queen bed at home, but have sleep just fine on a double, a full, a king and one time on a twin(that wasn't so nice). Don't get us started on pillows however - they need to be small and flat! Also not a big fan of big fluffy hot feather bed things - give me a sheet and lightweight blanket! It is very entertaining what people like and don't like. So since poss has put an end to the bed size - what do the sheets, blankets and pillows look like and can you change them?

Sorry for all that Poss. Hopefully a poster that goes in a "G" cabin can measure and report. If not, when I go on Explorer in November I'll bring a measuring tape and ask a cabin steward to measure it. I'll measure my bed in "F" to compare. I think its ridiculous that an answer to such a basic question cannot be obtained. Its not like its an opinion, but a fact that should take about a minute to ascertain.

Here is the answer I got from the ship about an hour ago.

Question:

A technical question about the Explorer. Are the beds the same size in Cat G and F or are Cat G's smaller in size.

Answer:

10cm shorter, really not much.

j

Here is the answer I got from the ship about an hour ago.

Question:

A technical question about the Explorer. Are the beds the same size in Cat G and F or are Cat G's smaller in size.

Answer:

10cm shorter, really not much.

j

But what about the width?

The bed sizes (incl for G Suites) were measured and posted by a kind maiden voyager:

The penthouse bed measures roughly 76 x 75 inches. This mattress is thicker than the others.

The concierge bed measures roughly 72 x 75 inches.

The G2 bed measures roughly 64 x 75 inches.

I say "roughly" because mattresses are not perfectly defined rectangles. There are curves at the edges. But I measured all 3 styles at the same (maximum) points.

I am very surprised by the measurements of the bedding, but I saw this for myself. Had I not seen the differences, I would have assumed they would have stocked one standard size. "European King Size Elite Slumber Bedding" has a meaning that has confused me.

Mattress in G definitely narrower, but no indication that the mattress is shorter :confused:

poss - I appreciate you trying to get to the bottom of this.

I just checked the rssc web site and they now (I would swear if wasn't this way previously) describe the bed in the F1 as a European King Size and the G1 as a European Queen Size. Previous mailings that I have from Regent described them as the same - European King Size.

poss - I appreciate you trying to get to the bottom of this.

I just checked the rssc web site and they now (I would swear if wasn't this way previously) describe the bed in the F1 as a European King Size and the G1 as a European Queen Size. Previous mailings that I have from Regent described them as the same - European King Size.

This 'new' description appears to align with the measurements that Anchorbuoy made during the Maiden Voyage:

76" = US King (Penthouse)

72" = European King (Concierge & F)

64" = European Queen (G)

There are some subtle things that were done on the Explorer to assist the crew in the laundry and perhaps housekeeping. For instance, the tablecloths may be white in all of the dining venues (and look alike) but each has a subtle pattern that indicates which restaurant the tablecloths belong to.

Good catch on your part to notice the new bedding descriptions !! On the maiden voyage, the Regent website still listed ALL suites as having the "European King-Sized Elite Slumber Bed". Yet we saw at least 3 different sizes.

Also, in the PH with the widest bed, the bottom linens did not fit adequately. They were too narrow, and would not stay tucked in. The stewards made the beds as best as they could, but as soon as you sat on the bed, the bottom sheets popped out since there wasn't enough fabric to pinch between mattress and frame.

So, ok, I had determined not to ring in again on this subject since I already feel uncomfortable about all the back-and-forthing. But when I saw the recent comments from the good CC folks, I immediately called my "manager" contact at reservations. His note to me this morning was that he'd been in close touch with the GM on Explorer now (Franck Galzy) about the issue. Mr Galzy himself supposedly went and measured the beds in G and confirmed that they were 69" (like F), not 63 or 64. This information was supposedly immediately corrected on their statistic sheet (or whatever) So when I spoke with my chap just now, I said then why does the website still mention European QUEEN for G?! His answer (get ready!) was that it was because the beds in G Explorer are SHORTER than all the other beds in the fleet, NOT more narrow: shorter by more than 4 inches. So go figure. Are we having fun yet?

Btw, I'm tending to trust kind Anchorbuoy more than any of these other chaps.

Maybe the fact that some of the beds face the side wall and some face the window is causing confusion between 'length' and 'width' of the beds?

:p

Honestly, this really shouldn't be that tough to figure out. If we don't have a firm answer by April, I'll measure the dang things myself.

Bill, that's hilarious! Ok, I've been endlessly tickled by your humor (and your good humor), but your explanation of the confusion totally cracked me up.

It's a more likely explanation than "Duhr...we can't figure out these newfangled tape measure thingies..."

So, ok, I had determined not to ring in again on this subject since I already feel uncomfortable about all the back-and-forthing. But when I saw the recent comments from the good CC folks, I immediately called my "manager" contact at reservations. His note to me this morning was that he'd been in close touch with the GM on Explorer now (Franck Galzy) about the issue. Mr Galzy himself supposedly went and measured the beds in G and confirmed that they were 69" (like F), not 63 or 64. This information was supposedly immediately corrected on their statistic sheet (or whatever) So when I spoke with my chap just now, I said then why does the website still mention European QUEEN for G?! His answer (get ready!) was that it was because the beds in G Explorer are SHORTER than all the other beds in the fleet, NOT more narrow: shorter by more than 4 inches. So go figure. Are we having fun yet?

Btw, I'm tending to trust kind Anchorbuoy more than any of these other chaps.

I stand by my numbers. I had witnesses !

And we measured the mattresses at the top of the bed, not the width of the metal bed frames, which would be wider.

At the end of the day, regardless of how you stretch your tape measure, the G suites have a size.... the concierge suites are WIDER.....and the penthouse suites are WIDER still (and thicker, if the topper is in place).

It's a more likely explanation than "Duhr...we can't figure out these newfangled tape measure thingies..."

Two more possible explanations:

1. The guy who first measured the mirror for the Hubble Space Telescope went on to get a job with Regent ;)

2. Similar to when selling your home, put smaller beds in for the photos to make the rooms look bigger :eek:

Another possible explanation for all of this confusion: The same department that forgot to check tide & river tables for Yangon and ice charts for the NW Passage was consulted about the various bed widths. ;)

Sorry, Poss, one simply doesn't know whom to believe, does one?

Edited by freddie

Another possible explanation for all of this confusion: The same department that forgot to check tide & river tables for Yangon and ice charts for the NW Passage was consulted about the various bed widths. ;)

Sorry, Poss, one simply doesn't know whom to believe, does one?

This has turned into a great thread!