OBC v Loyalty Discount

D and P's Nan

Is it just me or does anyone else think it's unfair that loyalty discount (we're currently up to 8%) is not applied to on-board purchases until OBC has been used up?

I've not noticed this on previous cruises (so perhaps it's a new thing) but our latest Statement only gave our 8% after the £140 OBC was used up.

Is it just me or does anyone else think it's unfair that loyalty discount (we're currently up to 8%) is not applied to on-board purchases until OBC has been used up?

I've not noticed this on previous cruises (so perhaps it's a new thing) but our latest Statement only gave our 8% after the £140 OBC was used up.

Well it's not new, it has been the case ever since the discounts came in. They say they will not combine discounts, OBC being counted as a discount.

If I worked for P&O and had come up with the strategy of using OBC as a sales incentive I'd be really proud of myself. As customers in our minds we knock that off the price of the cruise (well I do anyway and before I make the decision to book). For P&O of course the offering of OBC increases sales, it reduces late save deals, plus as everything we buy onboard has their profit built in, it isn't actually costing them face value and they don't have to give loyalty discount on it. The problem for me isn't so much the OBC method of increasing their incentive and profit it's more the fact that the door only seems to swing one way regarding loyalty and I think P&O could reward this differently.

Edited by Florry

I don't have any problem with them waiting until the OBC is used up. Otherwise it's as if they are giving us a discount on the discount - I count OBC as a discount, they have given us OBC for whatever reason and to expect a discount on that, to me, seems expecting too much. Others will not agree with me!

I don't have any problem with them waiting until the OBC is used up. Otherwise it's as if they are giving us a discount on the discount - I count OBC as a discount, they have given us OBC for whatever reason and to expect a discount on that, to me, seems expecting too much. Others will not agree with me!

I agree with you.

If you book tours on line before leaving the loyalty discount is taken off.

I guess if you had discounts taken off as op suggested the obc would last longer,

However as you saying that would be a discount on a discount. Eating cake?

At least you only have to "spend" £140. Last 3/4 cruises we have done we have had over £1000 OBS each time, so never get to use our discount.

At least you only have to "spend" £140. Last 3/4 cruises we have done we have had over £1000 OBS each time, so never get to use our discount.

TBH it was more cruisers like you with such large OBC that I was thinking about. However, I guess you could at least have many excursions/spa treatments or know that your final statement would be zero or low :)

TBH it was more cruisers like you with such large OBC that I was thinking about. However' date=' I guess you could at least have many excursions/spa treatments or know that your final statement would be zero or low :)[/quote']

I will take a large amount of OBC anytime not bothered about the 10% off when everything is free.

I would prefer they discounted the price of the cruises and not hand out large sums of OBC. I don't usually do excursions (too much hanging around waiting for others, and enforced 'Shopping opportunities') and am not interested in using the Spa. Nor do I want to buy anything in the shops on P&O ships. We had a large OBC in May on a Cunard transatlantic - found it very difficult to spend the last £200 on the final day!

Our two most recent bookings had £405 p/p and £220p/p OBC Should we have left booking until later the drop in the price of the cruise was nearly exactly that of our OBC. but cabin selection was limited.

The folk I think who get a raw deal are those who book really early at brochure price with little OBC.

BTW we also have shareholder discount and that is also taken int account before we receive our loyalty bonus.

Cruising recently with some Royal Caribbean Celebrity regulars, they said that their loyalty package included free booze :eek:

Edited by cruisebore

I would prefer they discounted the price of the cruises and not hand out large sums of OBC. I don't usually do excursions (too much hanging around waiting for others, and enforced 'Shopping opportunities') and am not interested in using the Spa. Nor do I want to buy anything in the shops on P&O ships. We had a large OBC in May on a Cunard transatlantic - found it very difficult to spend the last £200 on the final day!

I would rather the cruises were cheaper, but they wouldn't be reduced by the same value as the OBC. What would be great would be if you could make advanced bookings using OBC (restaurants, trips etc.). When you think about it they just use the same pricing and marketing techniques as other companies. OBC isn't free, it's built into overall pricing which we already know to be quite complex. It is what it is, an excellent strategy for P&O, which happens to dilute loyalty benefits.

They would rather give large amounts of on board credit than discounts because with OBC you have to spend the money or lose the benefit. If you spend it they get their profit anyway. They much prefer passengers who spend a lot of money aboard and it was reported on the Princess forum that the average on board spend goes down as passengers do large numbers of cruises. They want new cruisers who spend lots of money ;)

They would rather give large amounts of on board credit than discounts because with OBC you have to spend the money or lose the benefit. If you spend it they get their profit anyway. They much prefer passengers who spend a lot of money aboard and it was reported on the Princess forum that the average on board spend goes down as passengers do large numbers of cruises. They want new cruisers who spend lots of money ;)

Where am I going wrong then as mine tends to go up the more I cruise.

Thing is the discounted price is the saver price, but by then you could be very limited, on some cruises, as to what cabins are left.

We have never booked as soon as bookings open, usually when the mood takes us and we see one we like, and I say, well if we are doing it, book it by this weekend or the double obs finishes, or such like.

must admit we did a b2b last year and on the last day down in reception how much have we got left, followed by a silly few hours as we tried to spend it all..failed by £42 if I remember correctly.

We do not use the spa, don't go on lots of excursions, and some of those we prebook (so we get the discount off that).

I think it goes on grats/wine package/drinks evening(not a lot)/and one year we brought a globe that turns around all on its own..very good it was..still turning.

If every cruise was saver price for everyone pando would not last long at all. So you have to have something to get people to pay more...obs..being one of them

You usually get more in a suite Dai, and you may be choosing cruises which aren't quite so popular with others hence the higher incentive, I don't think you get more OBC for any other reason - why do you think your OBC goes up? (Hoping there is a fairy that will increase mine!)

I think that's why we seem to see many more short cruises these days. The speciality restaurants get fully booked on them and people are far more prepared to splash their cash if it's only a few nights. The spa is busy on short cruises etc. I can see this reflected in my own spending habits. I am hoping it's also the reason that Epicurean hasn't replaced the Ocean Grill on Arcadia and Oriana yet - as they are adult only they tend to attract older people who aren't going to be able to afford £40 each plus wine to use the Epicurean (once I retire I'm sure I will fall into this category as my disposable income declines. I hope that's the reason anyway I love the Ocean Grill in those two ships [emoji4] at £15-20 per head I'm happy to eat in there much more often too.

Edited by Florry

You usually get more in a suite Dai, and you may be choosing cruises which aren't quite so popular with others hence the higher incentive, I don't think you get more OBC for any other reason - why do you think your OBC goes up? (Hoping there is a fairy that will increase mine!)

I am sure Dai will comment Florry - but i think he meant the more he cruises the more he spends! :D

I am sure Dai will comment Florry - but i think he meant the more he cruises the more he spends! :D

Haha oh yes! That definitely happens to me! I am thinking of buying shares to get the extra OBC but the share price has shot up in the last year so I'm holding off to see what happens.

Dai, You must explain how you manage to get large amounts of OBC, and also book very early after launch.

My recent early booking experience is a choice of free parking or coach travel or a similar value in OBC, never have had any large OBC from P&O but I live in hope.

Errr I was talking about my spends not my OBC :(

Dai, You must explain how you manage to get large amounts of OBC, and also book very early after launch.

My recent early booking experience is a choice of free parking or coach travel or a similar value in OBC, never have had any large OBC from P&O but I live in hope.

John I was referring to my spending as the comment had been made about experienced cruisers spending less.

Talking of OBC.....i have just booked an Early Saver fare (for the first time ever!) which comes with precisely NIL on board credit. But I am happy with what I have paid for the cabin and I am hoping that even with the New year offers which are bound to appear I am not likely to be much out of pocket.

Bearing in mind that if I book excursions these days I always book them in advance - so can't use the OBC for them, I factor tips into the cost of the holiday, and don't bother buying anything of any note on board, I dont think I will lose out much. Its only our bar bill to worry about really, and that is never huge as DH doesnt drink a great deal, and I will get my discount on all of my spend on board.

I guess its a case of swings and roundabouts!