Europe cruises security

SeaSickGill

Hi, has anyone heard about what P&O are doing regarding the security issues in France and Belgium? I've heard that Zeebrugge is cancelled tomorrow but as usual there is no response to emails. We're on the Xmas market cruise with a planned trip to Brussels the week after next

Hi, has anyone heard about what P&O are doing regarding the security issues in France and Belgium? I've heard that Zeebrugge is cancelled tomorrow but as usual there is no response to emails. We're on the Xmas market cruise with a planned trip to Brussels the week after next

A two nighter with just Zeebrugge is going to be a bit uncertain. I am on 5 Dec maybe the ship will go to Guernsey instead?

Regards John

If you are talking about a cruise the week after next pando would probably not have made a decision yet. These things are fluid and they would only cancel a port if they had to.

We are on the 5th Dec one too and I hope they don't go to Guernsey as I'm counting on it going to Bruges which is why we booked it as I have most of my Christmas presents to be bought from there! I need my chocolate shoes! :rolleyes:

We have not yet heard anything, will await to see what they do with this and next weekend's trips. Fingers crossed!

Just noticed that the US has issued a worldwide travel alert for all their citizens.

I will wander over to a couple of their boards to see what effect it has on cruising.

Do let us know, the english lady....

We also have a cruise to Zeebrugge at the end of the month but are not getting worked up about it. It is something that is impossible to predict until nearer the time and security and safety is paramount and all decisions, although disappointing, will be taken for our benefit.

We will just go ahead and enjoy another lovely day at sea or investigate another port. :)

Edited by Scriv

Trouble that a 'another lovely day at sea' isn't what we booked neither is a day in Guernsey which is what they have suggested. It's only a 4 day cruise and I'm really fed up, sorry but I have to vent my spleen somewhere!

The security level may have been lowered by then, SeaSickGill and Zeebrugge may well go ahead. Fingers crossed.

I know it would be very disappointing, but I would much rather be safe.

Edited by Scriv

Trouble that a 'another lovely day at sea' isn't what we booked neither is a day in Guernsey which is what they have suggested. It's only a 4 day cruise and I'm really fed up, sorry but I have to vent my spleen somewhere!

Vent your spleen by all means, but please do not book cruises in future. We have cruised numerous times and when I think back there have been changes to ports visited in nearly every case. Usually the weather, but also pilot strike's.. Ships not plane, and missiles being thrown around.

Please don't tell me what I should and shouldn't book, it was a query and an expression of disappointment that's all.

Seasickgill sorry. I am going to have to learn to read posts and walk away. I guess I struggle when cruises change ports for various reasons and people post negatively about it.

I will go and sit on the naughty step and practice walking away.

There was a Cunard cruise to Zebrugge earlier in the year that ended up being a cruise to nowhere as the weather stopped them docking. At least P&O are thinking ahead.

Edited by CCFC

I'm a bit confused with this comment. Why would you need to vent. In the grand scheme of things with what has gone on in the world over the last couple of weeks, it's at most a tad disappointing. :confused:

Edited by laurakdy

To Seasick Gill

Perhaps it is better venting your spleen on this forum rather than on the streets of Zeebrugge or Brussels.

P&O will follow whatever security advice they are given by those in authority, the security situation is as others have said very fluid. Better to miss out a port of call and preserve your own wellbeing, you can always visit a cancelled port at a later date.

I find the reaction of P&O a bit over the top.

It's not like the situation in Belgium is the same as Tunis earlier this year.

Even then they did not immediately cancel their stops in Tunis...unlike most other cruise lines.

It would be a different story if they were to cancel the excursions to Brussels. The threat level is only on 4 for Brussels. The rest of the country has a lower threat level. And even then, the metro and schools in Brussels are opened again as from today.

I hope this doesn't continue. I would really love it if more cruise ships would dock in Zeebrugge and this does not help at all :-)

I find the reaction of P&O a bit over the top.

It's not like the situation in Belgium is the same as Tunis earlier this year.

Even then they did not immediately cancel their stops in Tunis...unlike most other cruise lines.

It would be a different story if they were to cancel the excursions to Brussels. The threat level is only on 4 for Brussels. The rest of the country has a lower threat level. And even then, the metro and schools in Brussels are opened again as from today.

I hope this doesn't continue. I would really love it if more cruise ships would dock in Zeebrugge and this does not help at all :-)

Why is it not the same as in Tunis.

As far as i'm aware there are still 2 people they would like to catch.

P and O would not cancel ports lightly , nor would they do it just to annoy people . They would be given the security situation and have to make a decision based on that.

If things get better they will dock....or the weather will stop them:(

I was thinking earlier of someone who may have booked a short cruise price region of £290-500, ports get changed because of the weather etc. It would not be too difficult to fly/train there .

Compare that to someone who had booked a cruise, lets say that includes a stop at the Falklands. Cruise would have cost multi £kkk. Possibility of flying there, fairly remote.

The people who get upset on a 2/3 dayer, how would they react to the latter.

Why is it not the same as in Tunis.

As far as i'm aware there are still 2 people they would like to catch.

P and O would not cancel ports lightly , nor would they do it just to annoy people . They would be given the security situation and have to make a decision based on that.

If things get better they will dock....or the weather will stop them:(

I was thinking earlier of someone who may have booked a short cruise price region of £290-500, ports get changed because of the weather etc. It would not be too difficult to fly/train there .

Compare that to someone who had booked a cruise, lets say that includes a stop at the Falklands. Cruise would have cost multi £kkk. Possibility of flying there, fairly remote.

The people who get upset on a 2/3 dayer, how would they react to the latter.

Well first of all, there was no terrorist attack in Belgium. There was in France however. IS has even announced more attacks on France...Not on Belgium.

Yes, there are still 2 people out there that they would like to catch. But we don't know whether they are still in Belgium. For all we know, they could be in the UK or France or Germany or...

But let's be honest. Those 2 people aren't the only (potential) terrorists out there. I am sure there are many others, in Belgium, France, UK, ...

Should we avoid every country with potential terrorists? Better find a rock big enough to hide under then...

I can understand the threat level for Brussels. But even then, I have close relatives working in Brussels. I have no fear for their safety, and neither have they.

I'm not questioning P&O's motives. I just think their reaction is over the top.

A stop on excursions to Brussels and advice not to go to Brussels would have sufficed I think.

But that's just my 0.02€...as a Belgian citizen...

We have just come off a short sailing on board the Arcadia, we should have stopped in Zeebrugge 24/11/2015 but for safety and security reasons the captain announced this would not happen.

Unfortunately no alternative could be offered.

Had a great time in Amsterdam Though.

I'm with you there. To me the whole point of being on a forum is so that you can do exactly this.

At the end of the day you choose to get a cruise to Zebrugge. If you had known that it may cancelled or the port changed (and lets face it the chances of being able to tender to Guernsey are not good this time of year) you would have just opted to get on the Eurostar for half the cost. I know I would.

I'm with you there. To me the whole point of being on a forum is so that you can do exactly this.

At the end of the day you choose to get a cruise to Zebrugge. If you had known that it may cancelled or the port changed (and lets face it the chances of being able to tender to Guernsey are not good this time of year) you would have just opted to get on the Eurostar for half the cost. I know I would.

Once you choose to cruise then you are at risk of not going to the ports advertised. Weather and security are just 2 problems that may arise, that may even apply to Eurostar as well.