Tipping

RLK33853

Although Regent reads the boards, is it really necessary to comment on a subject that is already in writing and has remained the same for years? There is really nothing to say other than what they have already said. This is a straight forward issue -- most people abide by Regent's recommendations -- others do not.

".... is it really necessary to comment on a subject that is already in writing and has remained the same for years?....."

Oh, is that sort of like a particular poster incessantly reiterating to us all (like - at every opportunity) of their own personal objection to "included excursions" being provided by Regent - despite the fact that it is an obviously settled corporate decision to make that feature an integral part of the company's business plan? :(

".... is it really necessary to comment on a subject that is already in writing and has remained the same for years?....."

Oh, is that sort of like a particular poster incessantly reiterating to us all (like - at every opportunity) of their own personal objection to "included excursions" being provided by Regent - despite the fact that it is an obviously settled corporate decision to make that feature an integral part of the company's business plan? :(

No, not "sort of like" that at all. Firstly, I do not have an objection to "included excursions". Rather, I object to not being to "opt out" of included excursions. This policy is something that some posters would like to see changed. Unless I am missing something, posters are this thread are not asking to "change" the tipping policy. Hope you see the difference.

There is a difference between a recommendation and a rule. If I or anyone else choses to give a member of staff a tip this should be a personal choice.

We have never observed any butler or staff expect a tip of felt compromised to giving one.

:)

....... This policy is something that some posters would like to see changed. Unless I am missing something, posters are this thread are not asking to "change" the tipping policy. Hope you see the difference.

You are the one who want to see the policy changed. You somehow see the word "prohibited" in the tipping policy. It is NOT there.

Nor does "encouraged to give to the crew fund" mean it is required if that is how one wants to express them self !!

You don't like me tipping the crew. I get it. I am not going to stop. Sorry.

We can just agree to disagree, OK.

J

This thread is beginning to go in circles (which is typical for "tipping" threads.) JMARINER: What you do is your business. I simply urge you not to encourage tipping to people new to Regent.

Edited by Travelcat2

This thread is beginning to go in circles (which is typical for "tipping" threads.) JMARINER: What you do is your business. I simply urge you not to encourage tipping to people new to Regent.

I do not think that the thread is going in circle as much as you think. It does seem to to going down a hole, or maybe digging a hole might be more correct. But I digress.

T/C, If what I do is my business then why do you feel the need to encourage me to do something else? (It is a rhetorical question; I really don't need an answer.)

And where in this thread did I say I encouraged anyone to do anything. I just answered the OP's question with my personal experience. I usually tip over and above and I always reward extraordinary service render to me. I think they earned it and deserve extra. A have already written my reasons That is how I think life is.

I never wrote tipping was required. I never wrote that I though the crew expected any tips.

I do not think I have ever presumed to tell you how to act in this regard. If I have then I apologize.

j

It is interesting that people that tip seem to be angry at a few of us that remind them of Regent's policy/recommendation. The same posters do not want to hear the other side of the story. Instead there seems to be a lot of "yelling", etc. In any event, most of us that have been on the Regent board for a while could have predicted exactly the ups and downs of this thread the moment we saw the subject. It reminds me so much of the old "smoking" threads. We have differences of opinion and have given our reasons. No need for anger and/or yelling. Obviously no one can change what you do.

It is interesting that people that tip seem to be angry at a few of us that remind them of Regent's policy/recommendation. The same posters do not want to hear the other side of the story. Instead there seems to be a lot of "yelling", etc. In any event, most of us that have been on the Regent board for a while could have predicted exactly the ups and downs of this thread the moment we saw the subject. It reminds me so much of the old "smoking" threads. We have differences of opinion and have given our reasons. No need for anger and/or yelling. Obviously no one can change what you do.

Okie dokie.

After rereading this thread, it seems as if contented, low maintenance, easy keepers prefer to add a tip despite the fact that gratuities are included, and other guests who require more handholding, fussing and entertaining prefer not to tip because it is included. We have no way of knowing what kind of cross section this actually represents.

After rereading this thread, it seems as if contented, low maintenance, easy keepers prefer to add a tip despite the fact that gratuities are included, and other guests who require more handholding, fussing and entertaining prefer not to tip because it is included. We have no way of knowing what kind of cross section this actually represents.

Aren't you make assumptions about people that do not support tipping on this thread? Based on the posters that did not support tipping, I disagree with your generalization.

Aren't you make assumptions about people that do not support tipping on this thread? Based on the posters that did not support tipping, I disagree with your generalization.

On a long ago locked tipping thread, you stated that although your O tips were either included or from a travel agent or simply charged to your account and therefore taken care of, that you decided to tip the butler extra. Would that not encourage Riviera butlers to expect extra gratuities?

On a long ago locked tipping thread, you stated that although your O tips were either included or from a travel agent or simply charged to your account and therefore taken care of, that you decided to tip the butler extra. Would that not encourage Riviera butlers to expect extra gratuities?

When we have tipped the butler, we have told them why we were tipping. In every case they did something for us that was above and beyond the normal scope of their duties -- or, they performed their job at a higher level than we typically receive. Also, on Oceania, when tips are included, butlers only receive $7/day. When they are serving a multi-course dinner in your suite for you and guests, they certainly deserve more. For those of you that are not familiar with Oceania's policies, guests in PH and above can order room service from any of the specialty restaurants.

When we have tipped the butler, we have told them why we were tipping. In every case they did something for us that was above and beyond the normal scope of their duties -- or, they performed their job at a higher level than we typically receive. Also, on Oceania, when tips are included, butlers only receive $7/day. When they are serving a multi-course dinner in your suite for you and guests, they certainly deserve more. For those of you that are not familiar with Oceania's policies, guests in PH and above can order room service from any of the specialty restaurants.

Since I cruise on O, I remember that thread very well. Let me ask you a question TC2, do you tip on Regent when they serve you a dinner in your suite? You are always comparing O to Regent and by your many discussions, I know you feel Regent is far superior. If that is the case, why or would you not provide the tip?

We now all agree! When we think someone has done a fantastic job, we tip to show our pleasure! Personally, we would not add the pat on the head explanation but either way it boils down to demonstrating that even you tip extra! I am glad to hear it. thanx

Since I cruise on O, I remember that thread very well. Let me ask you a question TC2, do you tip on Regent when they serve you a dinner in your suite? You are always comparing O to Regent and by your many discussions, I know you feel Regent is far superior. If that is the case, why or would you not provide the tip?

Respectfully, as others have said, what they (or I do) is private (or "my business"). I would never give advice that would go against a Regent policy or recommendation. So, if I tip on Regent falls under that "my business" category (although I have answered that question somewhere on this thread). I strongly believe in the Crew Fund and that is what I recommend people do to show their appreciation.

I will say that this last cruise was the only time we had dinner in our suite. To my knowledge, unlike Oceania, Regent does not mention in-suite dining from specialty restaurants in their literature. This dinner was arranged by the F&B Director and G.M. I was not even aware that this sort of thing could be arranged but apparently this is not an unusual event.

In terms of comparing Oceania and Regent. I just completed the second half of comparing food on Oceania and Regent. I typically do not like to make comparisons of the two cruise lines unless there is a specific reason to do so as I feel it is like comparing apples and oranges (plus, posters on the Regent board have complained when people keep posting about Oceania). I do not feel that Regent is "far superior" to Oceania. It is different and the differences make Regent a better fit for us. This does not mean that others would prefer Regent over Oceania -- it depends upon what you are looking for in a cruise line.

Edited by Travelcat2

Respectfully, as others have said, what they (or I do) is private (or "my business"). I would never give advice that would go against a Regent policy or recommendation. So, if I tip on Regent falls under that "my business" category (although I have answered that question somewhere on this thread). I strongly believe in the Crew Fund and that is what I recommend people do to show their appreciation.

I will say that this last cruise was the only time we had dinner in our suite. To my knowledge, unlike Oceania, Regent does not mention in-suite dining from specialty restaurants in their literature. This dinner was arranged by the F&B Director and G.M. I was not even aware that this sort of thing could be arranged but apparently this is not an unusual event.

In terms of comparing Oceania and Regent. I just completed the second half of comparing food on Oceania and Regent. I typically do not like to make comparisons of the two cruise lines unless there is a specific reason to do so as I feel it is like comparing apples and oranges (plus, posters on the Regent board have complained when people keep posting about Oceania). I do not feel that Regent is "far superior" to Oceania. It is different and the differences make Regent a better fit for us. This does not mean that others would prefer Regent over Oceania -- it depends upon what you are looking for in a cruise line.

Thank you for your reply and although I have booked 2 Regent cruises prior (Navigator) and have cancelled, I still hope to cruise with them in the future on a ship that is appropriate for us. I am looking forward to Computerworks critique of his Alaska cruise with Regent (one that I cancelled in favor of O) for the same itinerary and timing. I just received a very generous upgrade to a Vista Suite on O this week and am looking forward to it.

Dear Fizzy

I do take mild exception to you suggesting that everyone who prefers not to tip (because according to Regent, the gratuities are included), requires hand holding, fussing and entertaining. Folks from the USA seem to see tipping all and sundry fairly extravagantly (15 to 20%) as the norm whereas in much of Europe it isn't (10% maybe or even just rounding up to the nearest pound/euro), and looking beyond Europe, Japan for example, a tip can be seen as an insult. Personally, I prefer a cruise where the gratuities are included as I know where I stand and I am sure that is the same for many customers who do not have the same cultural approach to tipping.

From a very easy, low maintenance North Walian :D

TC2 I am one of your same said persons that do give tips to staff where I and my husband feel it's deserved. I am not an angry person as you describe in an above post. In fact I find this laughable. It's personal choice and not rule breaking in anyway. This does not seem any different to you telling people here that you take gifts on to staff on board does it?

When we are on board enjoying our cruise it is of no interest to me what other guests are doing regarding tipping or not tipping. It's everyone's own business.

Jean.

TC2 I am one of your same said persons that do give tips to staff where I and my husband feel it's deserved. I am not an angry person as you describe in an above post. In fact I find this laughable. It's personal choice and not rule breaking in anyway. This does not seem any different to you telling people here that you take gifts on to staff on board does it?

When we are on board enjoying our cruise it is of no interest to me what other guests are doing regarding tipping or not tipping. It's everyone's own business.

Jean.

I do not recall saying than angry people tip. I do not "take gifts on to staff on board". However, I did purchase a Scrabble set for a crew member that I have sailed with for years. IMO, the more people that tip, the more there will be an expectation. I have repeated this many times which is why this thread is going in circles. While tipping does not "break a rule", it is not what Regent recommends. Therefore, when someone asks a question (as the OP did originally), I encourage them to donate to the crew fund. Some people would not cruise Regent if they felt that were expected to tip.

Post #86

Thanks. Yes - I was referring to some of the angry posts - not people. Certainly do not think that people that tip are angry any more than I think that people who do not "require more handholding, fussing and entertaining" --not even sure what that means in terms of tipping. The only time I've seen that phrase on CC is when a poster on the Oceania board referred to Regent guests:)