Does it seem odd

Caroldoll

Just to clarify Cruiseluv's post:

And I rather have a pax/ space ratio of 72 than 53, as well as a much favorable crew/pax ratio…to each his own...

This figure is a ship-wide overall space-to-passenger ratio and is not related to one's individual cabin choice. Regent, I believe, has one of the best, if the not the best, space-to-passenger ratios in the industry.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

I may be off mark but I don't think Regent achieves maximum with regard to space/passenger ratio -- those marks go to Silversea and Seabourn.

http://cruisewonderland.tiyogami.com/FunFacts/CruiseStatistics.htm

Edited by OctoberKat

Actually, Hapag-Lloyd's Europa 2 wins with 83.0. Explorer is second at 73.2. Then Silversea at 72.8 and Seaboard at 71.1. FYI Europa 2 is rated as the best cruise ship in the world by the Berlitz Guide.

Aloha Octo,

I stand corrected. I remember when I was comparing Pax to space ratio, I was looking at ships carrying similar numbers of passengers. The SS and Seabourn ships listed carry significantly fewer pax and are significantly smaller ships, which we have had to avoid as I am worried that my wife would not be able to handle the motion of a ship much smaller than those in the Regent fleet. For me a 45' yacht with 6 pax works just fine!

My real comment was directed at the fact that Cruiseluv indicated a liking for a better space to pax ratio, to which you replied that you book larger suites. Booking a larger suite on Oceania does not affect to pax to space ratio. Regent's is better in that case, but having said this, I would still most likely sail O anytime for the right itinerary at the right price.

Aloha from Hanalei,

Mark

This goes round and round. Excoriation alert, I am about to be egregious. We never would choose the usual low-level suites on ANY line, they're all too confining for the likes of me and Jim. Thus, entry level pricing is of no consequence to us however large or small.

Well, lucky you.

I agree, Regent ships have a better pax to space ratio, based on my one trip on Riviera, completely subjective. And nothing to do with cabin size.

Since the majority of passengers on Regent book the deluxe suites (smallest), this information is quite important. Based on what Wendy said, our sense is that Oceania's Riviera feels like it has more pax to space ratio (although Regent's Mariner comes in a close second). As Wendy said, it is subjective.

When I am on the Riviera, the ship's layout is such that people are disbursed so you never feel like there is a crowd.

On the Voyager - the main activity area in all centered in the Atrium area and felt more crowded to me many evenings.

The ship size - per passenger - may be larger on Voyager - but - how the space is arranged and used makes a big difference.

While cabins in the standard suite on Mariner may be slightly smaller - the ship's public area layout always feels roomy to me. I love that promenade area from the Computer Room to Horizons. Mariner is still my favorite ship.

It may be subjective but to me the usability of a ship is most important.

It may be subjective but to me the usability of a ship is most important.

Agree as long as you include the usability of the suites. We love the Mariner but only in the PH or above suites (due to size).

I could "make do" with those suites but my DH cannot. On the other hand, the smallest suites on the Voyager and Navigator seem to work. What surprises me on the Mariner (and is probably the reason it isn't my favorite ship -- even though she is beautiful) is the size of the bathrooms, closets and safe. While we have not sailed in a Seven Seas Suite prior to our last cruise. We found the closet/bathroom(s) quite awkward and small. We have switched our suites on both of our upcoming cruises. While large living rooms and balconies are nice, we need adequate bathrooms as well as closet and drawer space.

Must add that the only time my DH and I have had a disagreement on a Regent ship was the first time we sailed on the Mariner. For some reason I neglected to tell him how small the suite was. Thankfully, on a very full cruise, someone decided to leave after day 2 and we were able to upgrade to a PH suite. I learned my lesson but still do not find the smaller suites to be a problem.

My favorite suites are the old H category - nothing wrong with those 733 731 732 734 suites. They are quite comfortable. Closet is ample. Bath is large enough.

We loved Cabin 731; sailed in it when it was a "H" and also when it was an "G" - it's now moved up to an "F". On one of our Mariner cruises the couple in #732 celebrated their 1000th night on Regent!

We're going to try a "C" on our next Mariner cruise as we got hooked after our "B" on Voyager. Still don't know how to use a butler.