Ship officers and staff

OctoberKat

P.S. rallydave: Fortunately (or some see it as unfortunately), men and women often see things differently...........

Why the P.S.?

Dave has already outed himself as "a disciple of Ming the Merciless" Of course he sees things differently. ;)

j

Edited by JMARINER

P.S. rallydave: Fortunately (or some see it as unfortunately), men and women often see things differently. Therefore, depending how a question is asked, my response may sound different. Also, some women change their minds more than others. While I generally do not fall into the latter category, based on someone's input, it may change the way I feel about a subject. Therefore, while my comments about "upper suites" may confuse some people, I have stated many times over the past several years that I strongly believe in all passengers being treated the same outside of their suite.

While Mariner has it correct about Ming and me, have absolutely no clue why you sent the p.s. to me. Never said anything regarding anyone wanting or not wanting all people being treated equally. And I haven't recently specifically directed any post toward you or used your name in any posts so you obviously not only see things differently, you must have some guilty feelings over something someone else said about you.

I can say we all have heard your belief in all passengers being treated the same outside their suites more times than I can count and don't remember anyone saying that belief that was wrong so why the post directed at me specifically????

Do I really want to cruise with Regent? We cruise to just have a good time. No schmoozing, will make friends with crew or fellow passengers if it works out. Really having second thoughts about our cruise next year. :confused::confused::confused:

The longevity of this thread has been remarked, with perplexity (and perhaps a smidgen of annoyance), by at least one poster who seemed puzzled therefore.

Precisely because there has been so much commentary on this forum about officers and staff -- it was obvious that the other side of the coin deserved the flip side, hence this discussion which is enlightening.

I have learned more about staffing and interactions, thankee.

Really having second thoughts about our cruise next year. :confused::confused::confused:

No No. Go. Really you will love it. This thread is really not the reality that most passengers experience. Cruise Critic is threads often get convoluted by people that have been posting here for years, sometime over a decade. And probably no more that 1-2% of Regent passenger ever even read these threads.

Regent has a very high percentage of return passengers. Once you go you will be hooked too.

My email is below if you have any questions that I can help you with. Really wish that CC had an IM feature/

j

No No. Go. Really you will love it. This thread is really not the reality that most passengers experience. Cruise Critic is threads often get convoluted by people that have been posting here for years, sometime over a decade. And probably no more that 1-2% of Regent passenger ever even read these threads.

Regent has a very high percentage of return passengers. Once you go you will be hooked too.

My email is below if you have any questions that I can help you with. Really wish that CC had an IM feature/

j

J

Thanks for your reply. We are easy going people who realize that everything will not be perfect on a cruise. Reading some of the comments from people who have recently cruised had me really wondering if Regent was the right fit for us. I liked having the lower amount of people on the Navigator. Our cruise is port intensive so I am worried with the comments people have made about the included excursions. I am sure I will have questions as time goes by so you will probably hear from me.

Luv2c00k - you'll love Regent. We've only been three times...fourth cruise is coming up in June on Voyager. Our experience is that every staff member is well trained, courteous and sincere about making sure you have a nice cruise. I personally didn't every see anyone schmoozing the captain or general manager. We certainly didn't, but were delighted when we were seated with Davor on our last cruise on the Navigator in 2012. He was very informative about the business of running the ship. As a retired Human Resources executive I was fascinated with the details he could share about training staff as well as some quirky stories about unusual things that can happen onboard. Loved it.:)

J

Thanks for your reply. We are easy going people who realize that everything will not be perfect on a cruise. Reading some of the comments from people who have recently cruised had me really wondering if Regent was the right fit for us. I liked having the lower amount of people on the Navigator. Our cruise is port intensive so I am worried with the comments people have made about the included excursions. I am sure I will have questions as time goes by so you will probably hear from me.

Luv2 - I agree with what others have said - the CC boards are a valuable source of information on cruising and the different lines, but at times can come across as a gathering place for squabbling pre-teens. Most of it is good natured and civil, some, well, not so much. But as others have said, the CC gang actually on board a Regent cruise at any given time is a small number indeed.

My wife and I just booked our 6th Regent cruise (first one was in '09) and we've never really had any issues on any of our cruises yet. I read the boards here on CC, my wife does not. I honestly don't believe I've ever met anyone from the boards while on a Regent cruise (although I did attend a get-together on a Cunard cruise) - our goal is to meet fun, interesting people with whom we share interests. We've met some good friends over the years and have honestly enjoyed every Regent cruise we've been on.

I remember one year when we had some minor issues on a cruise (very minor, in our opinion) but reading the post-cruise reviews would have led one to believe that we were on a flaming raft floating into the depths of Hades while being tormented by demons and other undesireables...I honestly had to triple-check to be sure I was reading blogs from the same cruise!

Bottom line is that everyone's cruise experience will be different, and I believe that your enjoyment coming off of a cruise is directly related to the frame of mind you're in when you embark on it. Regent is our go-to cruise line (probably because we don't know any different) - but if we didn't feel that it was worth our time and money, we sure wouldn't return. I think the sheer number of repeat Regent cruisers speaks volumes about the quality of their product.

Just one man's opinion...

;)

Luv2c00k - you'll love Regent. We've only been three times...fourth cruise is coming up in June on Voyager. Our experience is that every staff member is well trained, courteous and sincere about making sure you have a nice cruise. I personally didn't every see anyone schmoozing the captain or general manager. We certainly didn't, but were delighted when we were seated with Davor on our last cruise on the Navigator in 2012. He was very informative about the business of running the ship. As a retired Human Resources executive I was fascinated with the details he could share about training staff as well as some quirky stories about unusual things that can happen onboard. Loved it.:)

Agree about how great the "Regent Experience" is! People do not see anyone schmoozing with the captain or general manager because it does not happen. Anyone that wants to chat with them can (or not). One of my former positions was also that of H.R. executive and I am also fascinated with the details of training, etc. on board. If you ever have the opportunity to dine with the H.R. manager on board, you would enjoy that very much. We also dined with Davor in 2012 (or 2013?) and found him delightful. The officers and crew onboard ships see and experience many things and most of them seem to enjoy sharing their experiences.

Agree about how great the "Regent Experience" is! People do not see anyone schmoozing with the captain or general manager because it does not happen. Anyone that wants to chat with them can (or not). One of my former positions was also that of H.R. executive and I am also fascinated with the details of training, etc. on board. If you ever have the opportunity to dine with the H.R. manager on board, you would enjoy that very much. We also dined with Davor in 2012 (or 2013?) and found him delightful. The officers and crew onboard ships see and experience many things and most of them seem to enjoy sharing their experiences.

Travelcat2:

Interesting to find another former HR person as interested as I am in the inner workings of the staff side of cruise ships! I also had the experience of working my way through college waitressing, hostessing, bartending and working as a cashier. As a result, I never take a server for granted. I know what it's like to be on your feet for hours, dealing with every kind of person and their own issues (whatever they may be) and I'm amazed that the staff on Regent can be so upbeat and positive when they're away from their homes for months on end. We've often chatted with staff about where they're from, what ports they enjoy (when they get a chance to disembark for some precious time off) and how long they've been with Regent. Lots of fun. Looking forward to our next adventure!:)

• 4 months later...

This is an old thread and I do not believe that this information is published for those of us in the U.S. I do know that Davor is currently on the Navigator -- Michael is on the Voyager until next month after which time Franck Galzy will be on board and "I don't know who" is on the Mariner (will find out next week). The best source for this information is the Regent boards on CC. Just ask whomever is currently posting onboard:)

Yes it is. Many people would like to see future assignments, not past or present. The new issue should be available in the UK by now ?

It may be available but may not be accurate. One reason Regent does not like to post future assignments is because things change so much. Considering how upset and/or confused some posters on this thread were about why anyone cares who the officers will be, you are yet another poster that proves that many of us are interested. Thank you:)

Edited by Travelcat2

One reason Regent does not like to post future assignments is because things change so much.

Are you denying the existence of the publication, or saying that patrons from the US are not entitled to see it ?

The publication already says that it is for information purposes and subject to change. Clear enough.

I am requesting help from anyone with access to a copy of RegenTimes (if it still exists).

Is RegenTimes available on line? Or access to the UK site?

And to repeat AnchorBuoy's question: does it exist?

Peggy

Hi Peggy- I was just trying to explain that if it does exist (and apparently you and I have never seen it), it may not be accurate. As you know, I've been trying to figure out who the G.M. currently is on the Mariner. According to the "RegenTimes", Michael Coghlan is the G.M. Based on this incorrect information, I incorrectly posted that he was on the Mariner. Obviously this information is totally incorrect since he was/is on the Voyager (thanks so much for letting me know). This is why I suggested that these questions should be asked of posters currently on the ship rather than looking for a newspaper/flyer or whatever it is to learn the latest misinformation.

Apparently Anchorboy wants to see the latest version whether it is correct or not. Perhaps someone will post it.

Is RegenTimes available on line? Or access to the UK site?

And to repeat AnchorBuoy's question: does it exist?

Peggy

I do not see it shown on the rssc.co.uk site. Was it ever available there or was the Regentime just emailed only?

FYI is is easy to access the UK site from US and vice versa. Email me below if you want to know how to do it.

j

I live in the UK

Re Regent Times - we receive it through the post I think it is quarterly and I have never noted an online version.

I can't remember when I last received a copy so probably means one is due!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in the UK

Re Regent Times - we receive it through the post I think it is quarterly and I have never noted an online version.

I can't remember when I last received a copy so probably means one is due!

Thank you for the confirmation, swabs.

If you get a new issue, can you get back to us ? Thanks for your help !

If guests wish to know who are the officers on board why not just ring or email Regent? :confused:

We often do this before a forthcoming cruise and have always found them very helpful with information such as this and with dates for SSS events, deck parties etc. :)

Because we are contacting the UK office they usually have to contact Miami to get the info but normally revert within 48 hours.

The info in the UK RegenTimes is useful but can be out-of-date soon after publication.