Voyager, Hong Kong to Singapore

Gilly

I know Bill (newlondon) is jealous because we'll be joining Voyager in Hong Kong the day after tomorrow and as usual, I'll be keeping my blog up to date with what we get up to. We are currently in Yangon, Myanmar, having spent the last ten days exploring what is, to us, a new country and part of that adventure was a three night journey on the Sanctuary Ananda, from Bagan to Mandalay. New to river cruising, we had no idea what to expect but suffice to say, for we two die hard Regent enthusiasts, it fitted us perfectly! All inclusive, country club casual atmosphere, interesting and well travelled guests. We loved it.

Now, we're ready for the next chapter of the story - wait for us, Voyager, we are on our way!

Ananda stories start here http://elegantsufficiency.squarespace.com/blog/2015/3/18/up-before-dawn.html

The Voyager chapter begins soon!

Gilly

With spotty Internet, I'm only just catching up, but a few more blog posts with impressions of Myanmar will appear on An Elegant Sufficiency over the next couple of days, TC. All I can say is that the country is changing so rapidly that sooner rather than later could be the best time to visit.

We are looking forward to some fun on Voyager, of course!

Gilly, You're darn right I'm jealous. You just couldn't resist rubbing it in:)

Have a great cruise and we'll meet in UK in June. I will e-mail you with some news soon about our cruise but need just a little bit more info so look for it in a week or so.

We are so happy to be here on Voyager and love the new look of the suites. The pale green and taupe decor is attractive and rather more contemporary than the old beige and terracotta, I think. Anyway, we did a very thorough safety drill last evening, before leaving and it was interesting to note how much more serious this is in tone every cruise we take. I'd like to think it's as a result of learning from events - particular emphasis was placed on fire precautions than I'd heard before and the tone was firm but reassuring. I thought it was very well conducted, actually.

Now for the surprise. Having read here that one can request Hendricks gin, we did so on our pre cruise request note. Today, a bottle was brought to our suite with the bill: $166 US. Suddenly, we decided that Tanqueray isn't half bad, actually ;-) I don't know how much a bottle of Hendricks gin is in the USA but in the UK it's no more than £35 and often a good deal less. Whilst I'd expect to pay a premium we both thought that $166 was simply crazy - or?

Anyway good times on board, only a few familiar faces but the usual Regent high standards from everyone.

Gilly

Gilly - Your hunch about being "gouged" (regarding Regent's exorbatant markup on a bottle of Hendrick's) is correct. The price you're being charged by Regent for that bottle is about 4 TIMES the price it would cost in the U.S. ($40 USD). Given the fact that liquor prices in Europe/UK are somewhat higher than in the U.S. (those "pesky" taxes :eek:), the "normal" price you're paying for it in the UK (35GBP = $52 USD) is pretty much in line with what a "reasonable" cost would be.

Charging $166 USD for a bottle of Hendrick's (or anything else) that would "normally" be about $40-$50 "on the High Street" is really ridiculous and excessive. One would think that Regent is already making enough profit off the customers (for everything else) that they wouldn't also feel the need to add on those kinds of markups to special-request liquors, as well. Sheesh!

They must either think we're "stupid", that we all have "more money than God", or that we are "blinded" by their much-touted aura of "luxury" and will simply pay any price asked. Like you, I think I'd stick with the Tanqueray and tell them where to put their bottle of Hendrick's! :p

Have a great cruise!

Ping Pong, I'd noted that several people here had requested Hendricks and wondered if they had paid so dearly for the privilege? I guess that if one had $$$$s of on board credit to spend, then $166 wouldn't be an issue and maybe that's what keeps the price so high?

It's a small point in an otherwise marvellous experience. What makes Regent special for us is the people - we keep coming across familiar faces who greet us like old friends and whom we are equally delighted to meet again. Dinner tonight in Signatures was really special and it really doesn't take long for us to recall the reasons why we love to be on board.

I am sure we are going to have a great cruise! (even if we do choose to manage without the odd glass of Hendricks ;-) )

Five years ago we were in Alaska on a Regent cruise. While having dinner the second night with the captain or co-captain my husband mentioned his love of Hendricks Gin. By the time we got back to the cabin we had a bottle. I should mention we weren't in higher end suite either.

We will be going on the Explorer in oct 2016 - he may have to get over the fact he may not get his Hendricks. For those gin drinkers.- ask for Monkey 47 if you want to try something better than Hendricks.

Gilly - Your hunch about being "gouged" (regarding Regent's exorbatant markup on a bottle of Hendrick's) is correct. The price you're being charged by Regent for that bottle is about 4 TIMES the price it would cost in the U.S. ($40 USD). Given the fact that liquor prices in Europe/UK are somewhat higher than in the U.S. (those "pesky" taxes :eek:), the "normal" price you're paying for it in the UK (35GBP = $52 USD) is pretty much in line with what a "reasonable" cost would be.

Charging $166 USD for a bottle of Hendrick's (or anything else) that would "normally" be about $40-$50 "on the High Street" is really ridiculous and excessive. One would think that Regent is already making enough profit off the customers (for everything else) that they wouldn't also feel the need to add on those kinds of markups to special-request liquors, as well. Sheesh!

They must either think we're "stupid", that we all have "more money than God", or that we are "blinded" by their much-touted aura of "luxury" and will simply pay any price asked. Like you, I think I'd stick with the Tanqueray and tell them where to put their bottle of Hendrick's! :p

Have a great cruise!

Seem to remember many people recommending a phone call to Regent to get your favorite liquor in your in suite mini bar and absolutely no mention of any charge for any of the bottles. This includes people getting Hendricks in their suites at no additional cost. Would understand a small upcharge for premium liquors the small being the difference in cost from the "standard" bottle and the premium bottle but, a charge of approximately 4 times the retail price on what is touted by some as a luxury line is truly unconscionable!!!

Can't tell if this is a result of the NCLH takeover or simply improvements in the bottom line to make sure the $50M bonus gets into the hands of any remaining ex PCH Executives. In any case, certainly not the get what you ask for either without an upcharge or a minimal upcharge.

Rally Dave, I didn't recall anyone mentioning the charge associated with requesting the brand, which was why I raised it here.

Bill (newlondon) you are so cheeky! To reference one of our favourite TV characters, I didn't get where I am today by paying $166 for a bottle of gin ;-) (I'll look out for an email btw)

G

Gilly -- really enjoying your posts and glad that you like the Voyager's "new look". We also like the new look of the ships -- much better than before (especially the carpeting that previously had the issue of looking dirty or water-stained all of the time - despite them being cleaned constantly).

I will have to let "mudhen" know about the Hendricks charge as they also plan on requesting Hendricks. I must be missing something because we don't care for gin:o Tonight we decided to switch our Chopin vodka to Don Julio tequila when we get on board next week. We had some tonight and it was very yummy. Let us know if you try "Monkey 47" (love the name).

rallydave, really do not understand why you assume everything has to do with some bonus supposedly going to PCH executives. Bashing Regent on this thread is so unkind and I do not understand your point. If Regent is charging for alcohol that is not typically carried onboard, it may be long overdue. After all, they carry top brands on board and have to find a source of the requested alcohol wherever they are in the world. They may not have the benefit of going ashore and finding it at discounted prices. While extremely expensive, mark-ups on alcohol is always a bit mind boggling.

Anyway, Gilly, I'm now going to find your blog while I wait for it to be time to book our Cape Town excursions:-)

When my husband got the bottle of Hendricks it was already on the ship, just not available at the bar. Five years ago it was still "new", it should be a standard at this point if this is luxury cruise line. So it is was carried onboard, just hidden!

RallyDave, I think I wrote to you several years ago that you reminded me of Oscar the Grouch on this board at the time. As I remember, you told me your wife told you that you were getting better. Funny, after over 35 cruise on Regent, I am still with them. I don't remember that you had more than 1 or 2 cruises with them? But I do remember you were very upset about an excursion in China when you were on. I could look back to your posts, but please, can you bring me up to date since then on your experiences with Regent?

Hello jhp, those excursions in China that you bring up are the furthest thing from my mind. For your information, we have done more than 1 or 2 cruises with them and don't know what difference that makes to commenting on new ways of bringing in more revenue. I don't voice opinions based on receiving more benefits, I limit my comments to facts posted by others and gleaned from verifiable news reports. Don't appreciate being called a basher by an obvious shill for simply posting a historical facts and observations that are not show as facts but, possibilities. Hope this answers your questions.

Gilly, we are so excited to follow your travels! Your trip to India and Malaysia a few years ago paralleled ours a year later, and we chose (or did not choose!) a number of excursions based on your experiences. We will be doing the pretty similar route to your current travels next February (but starting in Bangkok and ending in Hong Kong) and will be most interested in your recommendations for the various ports. Thanks so much for sharing with the community.

Ahh, rallydave, did you forget that we were warned in another thread that Regent’s lawyers monitor this forum to take action against those who put Regent in a bad light?

At the risk of putting myself in similar legal jeopardy, I find this 4 X mark up over retail to be unreasonable, particularly since: 1) Regent brands itself as a luxury, all –inclusive cruise line; 2) a somewhat less expensive brand could have been provided for no additional charge; 3) no advance warning was given; and 4) the retail price includes taxes that I assume Regent does not need to pay. (Since I have done only one Regent cruise, maybe it is inappropriate for me to express my opinion? I apologize to anyone I have offended.)

Maybe this charge is an error & can be corrected?

Does anyone know what Regent’s mark-up is on premium wines ordered in the restaurants?

Gilly - I am glad you are otherwise enjoying your cruise. Sorry for sidetracking your positive report & I look forward to reading about your future experiences.

mom0f3, We did the Bangkok/HK cruise 2 years ago. You are looking for a recommendation; I would strongly suggest a private cruise in Halong Bay. We did a private charter for the day which included lunch for about $600 but we would have been able to fit 3/4 couples without any problem. You get to see much more than the standard cruise and can get off and take side trips into caves and lagoons.

as the retail for Hendricks is less than many of the brands of liquor Regent provides on a regular basis. IMHO I would inquire in my nicest voice as to the fact an error must have been made. :)

Great way of handling it. Perhaps if Regent is having difficulty fulfilling all of the requests for special items on board, they need to address it in a policy. I assume there are many requests (not so much for alcohol) for special foods, etc. This seems to be yet another unwritten policy that can be confusing to guests. I have a friend that will be requesting Hendricks on the Mariner towards the end of next month. It will be interesting to learn how it works for her.

In the meantime, looking forward to hearing more about this cruise from Gilly (if she hasn't been frightened off by now:-)