Block Parties?

Mudhen

• 2 weeks later...

I am one of those that doesn't care for the block parties; I can't stand and drink from wine glass at the same time. That said, we have met some great "neighbors" on past Radisson and Regent cruises; they do get you out in the hall.

Marc

Depends on the wine for me. But, if I'm not enamored of it, I can nip back into the our suite to pour a glass of the wonderful St. Emilion which I will have ordered in advance from the premium wine list. I am determined to be more interactive/sociable next time we cruise (November, Amazon on Silver Whisper).

The only time in the last 3-4 years that we did not have one was becasue of a "Norovirus" outbreak on the ship. Mariner, March 2015 Lima - Buenos Aires.

Luckily, only a small number of passengers and crew got sick. But they did not want to take chances by having everyone shake hands. They canceled the country fair that cruise also. All the buffet foods were served but it did not seem to help as the outbreak lasted the whole cruise.

The sad thing was it was preventible; a passenger that was sick, lied about it on boarding and was not immediately treated and confined. The crew went crazy with cleaning every surface, every 20 minutes for almost 2 weeks, plus having to serve in the buffets, and work short handed. Rumor has it the offending passenger was kicked off the ship as soon as they were well enough to travel.

J

We had a Block Party on the 4th day of the cruise we are currently on (at least I think it was the 4th day). We did not attend although I do think that it a nice way of meeting people. It cracks me up to see the officers going as quickly as they can from the top deck to the bottom - shaking hands, etc. On one or two cruises, they have kept track of how long it takes them to do it.

One of the things that Regent did that I so enjoyed was their "block parties". Do they still do that?

On February 26th, my husband and I attended a special event on Navigator for past passengers. During Q&A, I asked about block parties. The answer, yes they still have them.

Mary

The block parties are good fun and we have met several friends we'd not have encountered otherwise. Of course, there are always those who prefer to opt out and there is most definitely no three line whip.

Looking forward to it. Regent is the only line that I know of that does this. I think it's a great idea. Nice to meet the people in your "neighborhood'!

Seabourn has started doing it. Yes the officers RACE through the decks. They start at the top so be ready!

We have only been on regent once before and the block party occurred at the point that I just stepped out of the shower. I had the robe on and a towel on my head. Guess whose picture was taken and appeared on TV all week! It was kind of fun admitting that yes I'm the towel lady!

Just back from a 10 day cruise on Navigator, and yes we had a block party. It was at 6pm on day 2. These "parties" are a great way to break the ice and get to know some of your neighbours.

We have been on Navigator twice, and had a block party each time. However, three years ago we were on Mariner and I can't recall having one. Is it standard on all Regent ships ? We are sailing on Voyager in September and hope they have one.