Navigator - Alaska - May 1-10, 2015

Navigator - Alaska - May 1-10, 2015

Starting this thread a few weeks before we sail....to chronicle some of the pre-cruise details...and to continue in the same thread once onboard

15328518158_83fcdefa00_o.jpg

15532544570_fc9c5ca849_o.jpg

This will be our first cruise on Regent, and we are very excited and looking forward to it. We have been cruising a very long time, but never have gone to Alaska. We must have had a half-dozen cruises to Alaska booked in the past... but always have cancelled when we found a "better place to go."

After three cruises on Oceania, I am anxious to see how Regent differs in the experience. I don't buy the "luxury vs. premium plus" premise for a moment; I am going into this with the belief that one is all inclusive, the other is ala carte... but the baseline experience is very similar.

It should be interesting...and I will objectively report how right or wrong I am. :cool:

We are active and adventurous cruisers who rarely take ship excursions, but in this case, we have made an appropriate exception.

No pre or post cruise plans; we have been to SFO and YVR many times. We are taking the included air and transfers... so we are immersed in Regent's hands.

The new ship (for us) will be no surprise. We had the good fortune to be able to tour the ship when it was recently in NYC.

We had a chance to visit our own cabin, and see all that the Navigator has to offer... so no surprises.

15323392051_ab60247362_b.jpg

We are in a nice Window cabin on Deck 5

15331280415_1dda929cc4_b.jpg

You can see the Photo Tour here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2105346

Edited by computerworks

Throughout the booking process... things have been smooth and very satisfactory.

On the front end, I chose the specific flights I wanted, ready to deviate if necessary. Turns out we were given the exact ones I planned as the included air. Nice.

We were able to book all the excursions that we selected, except one that was waitlisted. Within a month, we cleared waitlist and now have 100% of what we desired. Nice.

So... the suitcases are out and we need to find some warmer clothes to pack. The poor suitcases are so used to shorts and shirts and diving gear.

A few weeks ago, we got our doc pack from Regent... nicely done.

16935765519_387a3aee89_b.jpg

17120405302_d696bc2bed_b.jpg

17096005466_6bffce221a_b.jpg

Working now to get things in order and to be ready to leave in a few weeks.

Computerworks, great photos - as usual.

Just want to mention that Alaska this spring and summer should be spectacular. Alaska received little snow this winter (not good for them) which should allow the Navigator to reach Tracy Arm. IMO, going on he Navigator is much better than doing the excursion.

I for one am looking forward to your posts. We have been to Alaska twice and we would repeat the cruise again. It's just one of those places that offers a lot and we would not tire of it.

Happy pre cruise run up, and eagerly await your posts.

Bon voyage.

Jean

We will be on the Navigator next year in the Mediterranean. Will be our first Regent cruise. Will be interested in hearing how you like the ship.

We did a similar Alaska cruise last year in an aft suite on Princess. You will love Alaska. It is so beautiful - our favorite excursion was a helicopter ride to a glacier where we did a two hour hike. :D

We did this cruise from SF last year and absolutely loved it. Your photo tour has brought back so many good memories of this lovely, happy ship, and the cruise is probably the best holiday we have ever had. Alaska is simply stunning, and I am looking forward to your posts.

Yay! Another cruise along with "me" posting. Looking forward to it - thanks in advance. We love Regent even though we've only been able to take a few cruises with them. I've looked at Alaska but our "gourmet" group chose So. America next so we'll have to wait another year. Can't wait to hear about your cruise.

Computerworks - Will be watching your thread with great interest! We really enjoyed your photos of the Navigator and just got off it yesterday, having completed the Bermuda and Southern Colonies run. Loved the cruise, ship and all that it offered and will be posting a review shortly after trying to catch up on work and recovering from cruise withdrawal symptoms!

In fact, we enjoyed the trip so much that we booked your exact itinerary on the Mariner for next May so will look forward to your comments.

A couple of observations: you should be in a great location forward - the vibration aft was quite severe at times and we were glad not to have deck 7 aft - the dining room coffee was nasty - best was at the Navigator Lounge where "café Americano" was excellent. Otherwise, the ship and overall experience on board was fabulous in our opinion.

Hope you have a great time!

Rob

Computerworks--Really enjoyed your photos of Navigator or another thread even though we have been on Navigator previously. Hope to run into you as we are on this cruise also. Did Alaska on Mariner in 2009 and loved the Regent experience. Now have 364 nights on RSSC ships. Neatest thing now is crew members are like our family. On our 2009 cruise Regent arranged some outstanding (for Alaska) weather. Hopefully same on this cruise. See ya aboard.

Getting down to the wire...spring clothes, fall clothes, rain gear... tough to stay with one bag each.

Since Angela packs like Rose on the Titanic, I don't expect we will make it with a bag each.

We were wondering if May 5 will get us a Mexican BBQ onboard?

Same day, our Real Madrid team plays in the Champions League semi's. It's on Fox sports here... Hope the ship has that or any int'l sports channel that may carry it.

Although we substituted this cruise with Regent's offer for an alternate cruise, we will still be in San Francisco this week and hope to see you guys as you sail out to sea on the evening of the 1st. We wish yous all a wonderful and safe voyage.

Z and TB

I too will be following along with great interest--we did this itinerary in May of 2012 and really loved it. Thanks for doing this.

Looking forward to cruising along with you. We have been to Alaska a few times with Regent. We love Alaska...

Tina, you indeed must love it! Have a great cruise.

...we will still be in San Francisco this week and hope to see you guys as you sail out to sea on the evening of the 1st. We wish yous all a wonderful and safe voyage.

Sorry we won't have that drink together... but I'll try and get them to blow the horn as we leave...

Enjoy your alternate... I am sure we'll catch you on a future one.

Sorry we won't have that drink together... but I'll try and get them to blow the horn as we leave...

Enjoy your alternate... I am sure we'll catch you on a future one.

No worries we'll have one with TC2 in your name during the TA if you don't join us.

computerworks: Really excited about your cruise. Can't wait to read about it and see photographs. After all, if you like Regent, you may book the Explorer transatlantic crossing (that we are on).

Just a few more days:D

Is that the Nov 2016 trip? That's the one we are sniffing... :cool: