navigator stability?

sho

I have read a lot about the vibration, shaking and rolling of the Navigator, that it was a Russian ship before, stabiliser installed later etc.

I am prone to sea sickness though I like the personal touch of small ships. Last year I was on Silver Whisper in the Baltic Sea in May, a ship of similar size to the Navigator and did not have any problem with sea sickness, despite 2 days of rough sea.

Should I be worried about the stability of the Navigator? I plan to sail the Aegean and Adriatic Sea in September/October, probably on lower decks such as deck 5 or 6, front of the ship.

Navigator is indeed a former Russian "weather" (AKA "spy" LOL) ship but you really wouldn't know now she's been fitted out as a smallish luxury cruise ship. We've sailed on her twice and never noticed the commonly reported vibration problem but suspect that's because we aren't sensitive to it whereas I know many people are.

Like any ship she will move about in rough weather but again it didn't seem excessive to us although I admit we are lucky to be pretty good sailors and actually enjoy a bit of "rock n roll". If you are worried about motion sickness (and worrying about it is often part of the problem) take TC2s good advice and stay low and midships if possible. Take the necessary medication with you and don't hesitate to use it!

I sailed on the Navigator in the Caribbean in 2009, and on 2 occaisions I did experience seasickness, which is rare for me on cruise ships. I vowed to never sail on the Navigator again. Well, vows are made to be broken, I guess, because my wife and I did take another Caribbean cruise on the Navigator last month. This time I had no problem whatsoever, and the seas were somewhat choppy at times. We had a wonderful cruise. I'm thinking that the first time was more than likely a fluke. But I do think that as has been suggested you bring along medication just in case.

Vibration, however, is another story. We did find that there was significant vibration on quite a few occaisions. Mostly aft, but it can be felt throughout the ship. Vibration doesn't bother us much, but some people are disturbed by it.

We have stayed in 612 - no vibration problem noted.

However did notice it when we first set sail from Miami and were in Galileos lounge and the glasses where vibrating... very tuneful!!

As I say, the notorious "vibration problem" seems to depend largely on who's reporting it. Some people may notice it but it doesn't trouble them, while others find it intolerable. Others don't notice it at all which isn't to say it doesn't exist. As you might expect, it seems to affect areas over the propellers to the rear of the ship more but in certain conditions it may be noticeable elsewhere. Maybe the fact that all Navigators public areas are in that part of the ship means more people notice any vibration?

Our problem with Navigator wasn't vibration or poor handling in rough seas, it was the comparatively small, sometimes crowded public rooms and the fact that those public areas are all located at the rear of the ship so no forward facing views. But I know she has a strong fan club so it really is a matter of personal preference.

Any vibration problems in the cabins on deck 5 and 6 (forward of the ship)?

The issues with the forward suites is that, in high waves, the ship does not only move side to side but also forward and aft. The motion is much different than in other parts of the ship. The suites I'm referring to are "very forward" - like suites 501 - 506 or 601 - 606. To be safe, I'd go as close to mid-ships as possible.

Just back from cruise on Navigator. We sailed from Nassau to Bermuda (800 miles)in what were described as heavy seas. Our suite was quite far forward and on Deck 9, so we did get quite a bit of motion, but not rolling, so the stabilisers seemed to do their job. As for vibration, certainly in the heavy seas there was quite a bit of vibration aft, particularly in the theatre, but nothing significant elsewhere.

I've been in 617, 623 and 625 and didn't feel any vibration.

Hi, we are set to sail on first cruise ever next month in room 617. How was it ? I am concerned about smoke smell on that level any problem? Thank you

Troban:

You should be fine both with a lack of vibration and no noticeable smoke smell. The smoke is most noticeable between the Connoisseur Lounge (bit of an oxymoran if you like to breathe IMHO! :)) and the elevators just past the Lounge itself. It does not extend down toward the suite area.

Just going off topic slightly and to pick up Robroy's point about smoke. On our recent cruise smoke from Connoisseurs was not a problem EXCEPT in the morning. On a couple of occasions we went into the Navigator Lounge for coffee and the stale smoke smell was overpowering. Not sure if it was perhaps a caused with doors to the smoke lounge being left open at night ?