Balcony: Choosing sides

Gallivanting Souls

Will be sailing Western Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess to Rotan,Belize,Costa Maya. Going to have a balcony for the first time. Which side should I choose and why? I will be booking tomorrow. Looking at Caribe

Thank you!

Ps, why am I finding the Caribbean Princess abbreviated CB? Doesn't CP make more sense???

It would seem to make sense that you would look to the right (starboard) side since you are headed mainly south. HOWEVER, we have found it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in the Carib. Often you will be docked perpendicular to the dock, so both sides will see land. Too, some Carib. ports can be pretty ugly, so nothing pretty to see. Some ports have the ships tendering. And finally if there is more than one ship at the pier you could be right next to another ship. Looking into each other's balcony. We only pay attention to which side of the ship to book when we know there are some pretty ports or particular landmarks...generally overseas.

My concern for you would be that your ship gets to dock in Roatan. Princess is one line who misses this lovely port because of the poorly designed Carnival port. Windy days mean you will not dock. Missing this stop would be a definite loss. We mad it once ( Celebrity)missed it once (Princess)and ended up doing 10 days on land which was wonderful.

Edited by eandj

It depends on what you are looking for from a balcony. We like to sit out there late afternoon and early evening. We do not like to be in the sun. So if we are going south, we prefer the left or port side. As to scenery, most of the time you are sailing, you are out of sight of land.

Ps, why am I finding the Caribbean Princess abbreviated CB? Doesn't CP make more sense???

Because CP is Sea Princess.

Here is a list from a thread a couple of years old:

Main fleet:

• CB - Caribbean Princess

• Co - Coral Princess

• KP - Crown Princess

• DP - Dawn Princess

• DI - Diamond Princess

• EP - Emerald Princess

• NP - Golden Princess

• AP - Grand Princess

• IP - Island Princess

• GP - Regal Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• RU - Ruby Princess

• SA - Sapphire Princess

• CP - Sea Princess

• TP - Star Princess

• SP - Sun Princess

The Small Ships of Princess:

• PA - Pacific Princess

• OP - Ocean Princess

EM

Caribbean is about the only ship you see referred to by it's initials.

Edited by Essiesmom

They do try to give both sides equal time, when possible, facing shore. At sea, all there is is water to see!!!

If your balcony is covered, you won't have sun in the heat of the day...only early morning or late afternoon, when the sun is low.

Because CP is Sea Princess.

Here is a list from a thread a couple of years old:

Main fleet:

• CB - Caribbean Princess

• Co - Coral Princess

• KP - Crown Princess

• DP - Dawn Princess

• DI - Diamond Princess

• EP - Emerald Princess

• NP - Golden Princess

• AP - Grand Princess

• IP - Island Princess

• GP - Regal Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• RU - Ruby Princess

• SA - Sapphire Princess

• CP - Sea Princess

• TP - Star Princess

• SP - Sun Princess

The Small Ships of Princess:

• PA - Pacific Princess

• RP - Royal Princess

• OP - Ocean PrincessEM

Caribbean is about the only ship you see referred to by it's initials.

I am for avoiding confusion. Make the effort to type out the full name of the ship. If you have time to browse this forum, you have time to type a few more letters. Definitely quicker that having to make another post to explain abbreviations.

It depends on what you are looking for from a balcony. We like to sit out there late afternoon and early evening. We do not like to be in the sun. So if we are going south, we prefer the left or port side. As to scenery, most of the time you are sailing, you are out of sight of land.

IO think the OP's cruise will be going south and then north, so no matter which side, will have equal opportunity to face east and west.

This can be 50/50. First time we pulled into St. Thomas we were on starboard side and our view was of the water/oil tanks and industrial port. Next time we booked, we booked Port Side balcony...and guess what... dang ship pulled in stern first and our view was of... yup, water/oil tanks and industrial port. Now, we always book Port Side and just take whatever view we get. LOL

Thank you all for your replies. They have all been helpful.

To the person who said something about taking the time to just type out the name, I agree. Much easier to make sure people know we are on the same page.

Glad to know it doesn't matter which side of the ship (at least in this case).

Hopefully for my cruise on the Dream to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozmul I choose the right side (port?)

(for the cruise I had a question about Caribbean Princess,this go round, we ended up just going with an inside (doing a b2b) instead of a balcony. I figured 12 days in an inside is more vacation fun than 6 days in a balcony, even if we are repeating the ports, food, etc :D

Edited by familyoutdoors

There can be no hard and fast rule.

On a return cruise it doesn't really matter, as you'll see the other side coming home.

It is seldom that you can see land from the ship anyway.

And even if you can many people prefer to see the ocean than land.

On a Western Caribbean cruise out of FLL I am more inclined to take the port side as that will spare me the afternoon sun on the way home. I figure I'll care more on the way home.

Edited by Wehwalt

If's all subjective what you like. For example I really don't care Front Center or Aft the room is located as long as its in the class or better that I paid for. I do however enjoy the Starboard side as I find they tend to dock Starboard facing dock. I enjoy watching the port activity, loading the eggs, watching the last minute runners (especially after a day at Sr Frogs), watching the dock workers etc. Others would rather have the "ocean side.

I do however enjoy the Starboard side as I find they tend to dock Starboard facing dock.

At a number of ports, the pier can have ships dock on both sides, so depending where the ship is assigned to dock, either port or starboard could be pier-side even when the ship pulls straight in.

To the person who said something about taking the time to just type out the name, I agree. Much easier to make sure people know we are on the same page.

:D

I do think the CB (Caribbean) is the one most often designated with the incorrect short code. Most ships are easy enough to type out with short names. I agree with you.

For next time:D

If you do get a balcony, consider the aft balconies. They are great.

Love watching the wake and the balconies can be somewhat larger than the balconies on the side.

Provided sea sickness isn't an issue fats are great, but if prone avoid them.

(for the cruise I had a question about Caribbean Princess,this go round, we ended up just going with an inside (doing a b2b) instead of a balcony. I figured 12 days in an inside is more vacation fun than 6 days in a balcony, even if we are repeating the ports, food, etc :D

I agree! :) I haven't been on many cruises, but because of who I've sailed with in the past I had only sailed in a balcony and a mini suite. This past February, we looked at cruises and we could do a 10 day in an inside or a shorter one in a balcony - we went with 10 and had an awesome time! My next cruise we are booked in a balcony, but only due to the great sip and sail promotion, the price being what we were comfortable with, and also it being our honeymoon - my fiance has never sailed in a balcony and got really excited when I suggested it. :)