Additional tips

skedaddle43

On our last cruise we could tell right away that our bed needed a mattress topper so as soon as we met our room steward we put in a request for that (and extra hangers) and tipped him $10. It wasn't a bribe, but rather an acknowledgement that he had to remake our bed on the busy embarkation day.

Our service all week was exceptional so we gave him another $70 or $80 at the end of the cruise.

That's nice to hear. You are very generous

We always tip the cabin steward $10s shortly after our first meeting and again at the end of the cruise. You'd be amazed at how well they take care of you.

Howard

Can you give an example. I don't tip until the end. The room is clean, bed is made, we receive plenty of towels. I'm happy with that. What else is there?

What service am I missing?

I don't consider myself cheap or extravagant but I am a little surprised by what some cruisers leave for tips. We keep the auto-tip and then leave a card with a note and tip at the end of the cruise. Usually $50 for our steward, sometimes more if they were exceptional, and the same for our MDR servers. On our last cruise we were seated with two wonderful sisters, aged 89 and 85, and the main server always went above and beyond to assist them. At the end, the sisters didn't leave a tip for her or her assistant and I imagine their financial situation was pretty limited. We gave the assistant $50 and then gave the young lady a special thank you note on behalf of the sisters along with $150. I work hard for my money but not as hard as those working on the ship and it pleases me to know I can reward someone for a job well done.

That was very generous and kind.:)

I think if the OP wants to tip before the cruise, that's his/her business. I don't think it's necessary, but it's not hurting anyone so what difference does it make if the tipping takes place before, during, or after the cruise?

On our cruise this past spring we had a cabin flood that was a big mess for several days. Princess gave us a decent OBC for our troubles and we left more than half of it for our room steward because he really worked hard to help clean the mess and make sure we were comfortable. And yes, it was the same steward that we gave a tip to at the start of this particular cruise for remaking our bed and bringing us additional hangers almost immediately after they were requested. To some people that's a bribe or greasing his palm, to us, it was a thank you for getting our cruise off to a great start. :)

Why are you trying it impress the steward? He/She should be trying to impress you. I will tip before the end of the cruise if I request something extra. Last time my wife who has long hair needed more conditioner. So when he brought the extra bottles I tipped him $5.00.

That's my view too. I'm not out to impress Stewart he should ow me till I can't refrain from tipping him.

Can you give an example. I don't tip until the end. The room is clean, bed is made, we receive plenty of towels. I'm happy with that. What else is there?

What service am I missing?

I don't want any more.

I hate a steward or waiter who is a my side every second.

We always tip the cabin steward $10s shortly after our first meeting and again at the end of the cruise. You'd be amazed at how well they take care of you.

Howard

Same here. A tenner and a sincere " We are looking forward to your great service for the next week" has always brought - or bought - us better service than the times a tip was not offered at first meeting.

To each his own of course, but who couldn't use a little extra cash on their first port day off?

Same here. A tenner and a sincere " We are looking forward to your great service for the next week" has always brought - or bought - us better service than the times a tip was not offered at first meeting.

To each his own of course, but who couldn't use a little extra cash on their first port day off?

Would like the hear your examples of this? Was it with the same cabin steward or different ones? Did service improve after you provided a tip befor the end of the cruise? Enquiring mind would like to know.

Would like the hear your examples of this? Was it with the same cabin steward or different ones? Did service improve after you provided a tip befor the end of the cruise? Enquiring mind would like to know.

If they are tipping before service is even provided it's impossible to measure if it has improved. Personally I think it's just showy and condescending to offer someone money just for the sake of it.

Does that work as well in a land restaurant if you tip the waiter before ordering?

We never tip up front, and, when we do multiple cruises in a row, only tip every two cruises or so. For continuous stellar service, we give an additional $2/day to the waiter and cabin steward, and $1/day to the assistant waiter. That amount almost doubles their daily gratuity from us (considering the autotip is shared among more crew members).

We have sometimes had waiters and cabin stewards who received no extra tip, especially after just one cruise. They did a good job; we just never asked for anything extra and nothing extra was provided.

We have never tipped a headwaiter or maître de.

Me thinks all you anti-pretippers are afraid it might catch on and you would have to do it! What difference does it make to you if others choose to do so?

Personally, I'm happy that for once that this is a tipping thread about tipping extra and not about removing the auto tip. However several of us have inquired as to what extra service or special treatment those who pre tip receive? None of the pre tippers have answered yet. I absolutely understand someone tipping if they made a request on day one. However If nothing else I would feel awkward just handing out money for no apparent reason. The whole premiss of a tip is for service.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We always do and if they find it insulting, they sure hide it well. But then again, we're not demanding. I do ask for a top sheet and sometimes extra chocolate. If wife needs more lotion, I just leave a note. On disembarkation day, I ask if I may stay a little past 8:30 and they are very accommodating. Just don't act like a jerk (I actually had a different term) throughout the cruise because you pre-tipped.

We always do and if they find it insulting, they sure hide it well. But then again, we're not demanding. I do ask for a top sheet and sometimes extra chocolate. If wife needs more lotion, I just leave a note. On disembarkation day, I ask if I may stay a little past 8:30 and they are very accommodating. Just don't act like a jerk (I actually had a different term) throughout the cruise because you pre-tipped.

Those are all valid reasons for tipping. It seemed like people were just pre tipping and expecting some magic to happen. The OP stated that they wanted to impress the steward by pre tipping and I just couldn't follow that logic.

Me thinks all you anti-pretippers are afraid it might catch on and you would have to do it! What difference does it make to you if others choose to do so?

Makes no difference if you tip before or not. I will never do it no matter what others do. Many of us just wonder what the mindset is of those who do it. Please show where anyone has said you could not do it.

Really, afraid? LOL! If it becomes a custom, I would follow that custom, but its not so I'll continue to tip at the end as it's supposed to be.

Hmmm ..I am not cheap by any means but all this talk about extra tipping

has me a bit concerned for newbie cruisers.

Always leave automatic tip in place, but you do not have to tip extra.

Be kind, considerate to all you meet on board and enjoy your cruise.

Reader

I agree with Reader - being Kind goes along way. If you choose not to tip xtra thats up to you. For those who do - great. I greet my steward every day with Good Morning and Thank him or her just as I do my employees at work. No one should feel obligated to tip extra.

$10 to $20 and be prepared to be accused of bribery (not by me, we do the same thing). ;)

So what is the difference between paying someone off before you receive any services to ensure that you will get better service than the next guy and a bribe. Sounds like the same thing to me.

BTW - do you pay off servers in restaurants before the meal. Do you tip the guys at the car wash before they wash your car? Do you give your barber or hair dresser before they cut or style your hair. Do you pay off the car park people when you part your car instead of when you pick yp your car? Do you tip the dealers in Las Vegas before you start gambling instead of after you win?

So why is it somehow different if you are on a cruise ship? Please explain it to me as I totally do not understand.

DON

Hmmm ..I am not cheap by any means but all this talk about extra tipping

has me a bit concerned for newbie cruisers.

Always leave automatic tip in place, but you do not have to tip extra.

Be kind, considerate to all you meet on board and enjoy your cruise.

Reader

A smile goes a long way, and if they've got a minute or two so does asking about the family.