Misc. Info Requests - Embark, Sanctuary, etc.

SMerritt

I am sure some of the answers are here in the forums, but my creative searching is not getting me update information, and even after many cruises the "Getting Close Jitters" are kicking in.

Our previous cruise on Princess was STELLAR - We were in the Crown Suite so we were practically carried onto the ship...would love to sail in the CS again but it would mean no more cruises for about 5 years!:D:rolleyes::)

**We are sailing on the Royal Princess out of FLL - Flying in the good-old Red-Eye from SFO, with NCL we are used to arriving at the port around 10:30 to 11:00 and are able to check-in, or at least, check-in. I am seeing on our Princess information that check-in starts at 12:30.

** How early can we start checking-in? At least be inside the terminal and waiting to go "upstairs". Of course, dependent all have disembarked.

** Do we reserve Sea Days for the Sanctuary in the Spa? Is there anywhere online to pre-book?

** Can coffee cards be used for Gelato on the Royal Princess?

Thank you in advance, looking foreward to another nice Princess Experience

P.S. We have not had any cruises out of FLL since it was under construction, how is embarkation and disembarkation now? (Yeah - risking an early flight back home):rolleyes:

I would be chewing my nails at arriving at the port the morning of the cruise, having flown cross-country. But that's your choice. You can check in as soon as you get there, and they probably will start boarding at noon.

You reserve the Sanctuary at the Sanctuary. It's operation is not connected to the Spa.

No idea about the coffee card, but I doubt it. EM

I am sure some of the answers are here in the forums, but my creative searching is not getting me update information, and even after many cruises the "Getting Close Jitters" are kicking in.

Our previous cruise on Princess was STELLAR - We were in the Crown Suite so we were practically carried onto the ship...would love to sail in the CS again but it would mean no more cruises for about 5 years!:D:rolleyes::)

**We are sailing on the Royal Princess out of FLL - Flying in the good-old Red-Eye from SFO, with NCL we are used to arriving at the port around 10:30 to 11:00 and are able to check-in, or at least, check-in. I am seeing on our Princess information that check-in starts at 12:30.

** How early can we start checking-in? At least be inside the terminal and waiting to go "upstairs". Of course, dependent all have disembarked.

** Do we reserve Sea Days for the Sanctuary in the Spa? Is there anywhere online to pre-book?

Thank you in advance, looking foreward to another nice Princess Experience

P.S. We have not had any cruises out of FLL since it was under construction, how is embarkation and disembarkation now? (Yeah - risking an early flight back home):rolleyes:

You can check in as soon as they open the doors/security for embarking passengers. Suite/Elite/Platinum pax have a separate 'priority' line, and once the OK is given to permit pax to board, they board 1st.

As you arrive and check in, you will be directed to a seating area and will be called to board in the order of your arrival (if not in the Priority waiting areas).

Barring any delays by the ship, boarding should begin around 11:30ish. We've been there as early as 10:30 and waited till the doors opened. They usually have someone handing out the health statements while you're waiting. You'll save some time to fill it out and have it ready to hand in so you don't have to stop inside to do it.

Yes, the coffee card can be used at Gelato's. It is a 'punch' however. 1 punch for 3 scoops/2 punches for any treat with a liquour ingredient added.

From 12 to 1:30, there should be a lunch served in one of the MDR's midship. It will tell you on the Patters in your cabin (or I usually grab one at the PSD when boarding).

Alfredo's and International Cafe will also be serving.

You have to go to the Sanctuary to sign up. There is no way to pre-reserve prior to boarding. You may want to do this as soon as you can after boarding to get your choice of days/locations. There is no cost to use lounges at the Retreat Pool, but the cabanas located by the pool DO have a fee and are also reserved at the Sanctuary.

Our experience at Port Everglades has always been positive with easy on/easy off. If you have an early flight, you may prefer to do an early walkoff (you must handle ALL your luggage yourself) and take a taxi direct to FLL.

Hope this helps!

Is your cruise the first cruise after the Transatlantic? If so, be prepared for a lengthy wait, as the ship is returning from Europe and there will be Coast Guard inspections and Immigration might take a while...

I do believe the coffee card can be used for gelato on the Royal and Regal.

If you are serious in wanting the Sanctuary on a sea day my advice is RUN!!! do not walk immediately to the Sanctuary. You will likely be met by a line out the door, so just get in the line. They will get to you, but it takes a while. I am elite and have priority boarding and I did run and I got the last chair on the sea day I wanted. After me I think there was 1 chair remaining for the other sea day, all else was taken up. This was a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

PS. On a separate note; Do go around on the cabin decks and look at the photo gallery (Photos taken by Princess passengers and submitted in a contest)

Edited by hpeabody

If you are serious in wanting the Sanctuary on a sea day my advice is RUN!!! do not walk immediately to the Sanctuary. You will likely be met by a line out the door, so just get in the line. They will get to you, but it takes a while. I am elite and have priority boarding and I did run and I got the last chair on the sea day I wanted. After me I think there was 1 chair remaining for the other sea day, all else was taken up. This was a 7 day Caribbean cruise.

That's another good point...

PS. On a separate note; Do go around on the cabin decks and look at the photo gallery (Photos taken by Princess passengers and submitted in a contest)

Thanks ALL! hpeabody, don't think I have much status having only sailed once on Princess - even staying in the Grand Suite. I really appreciate your info - will RUN to Sanctuary and then definitely check out the photos, sounds fun.

Sooooo -

Bought a coffee card - TY to the cruisers that posted the gelato tip.

Will head to Port and sit *sigh*, want a few Sanctuary days

Hauled my luggage of before....not too early of a flight but famous Florida bike races, rally's, runs can tie up traffic - fortunately we are disembarking on a week-day, which is still weird to me.

I am sure some of the answers are here in the forums, but my creative se:D:rolleyes::)

You can drop off luggage as early as 9:30am, but normally at that time previous cruise passengers are still disembarking and you can not enter the terminal building. Usually check in starts around 10:30/11am. After check in you are shown upstairs to a waiting area. Boarding normally starts around noon with priority boarders, then general boarding in the order of arrival. It goes very quickly. You can go directly to your cabin after you board, but you may wish to visit the Sanctuary first as reservations are limited

In September 2014 yes.

P.S. We have not had any cruises out of FLL since it was under construction, how is embarkation and disembarkation now? (Yeah - risking an early flight back home)

If you have an early flight select the early walk off and take a taxi to the airport. You have to pull all your own luggage. You should be off the ship by 8am.

:rolleyes:

See above

See above

PERFECTO!

We have always sailed as Haven Guests on NCL and the GS was over-the-top for amenities and services but the overall Princess experience & crew were great.

I just received and email that we are Gold status - does this give us any Serenity booking privileges?

Appreciate the very detailed run-down on check-in, knowing the "drill" helps me wait.

Due to being anxious to get home to the doggies, we have self-disembarked many times - it would be so easy if people doing the same had some manners, I know we are all anxious, tired & grumpy due to the cruise ending but a little kindness goes a long way:D

PERFECTO!

We have always sailed as Haven Guests on NCL and the GS was over-the-top for amenities and services but the overall Princess experience & crew were great.

I just received and email that we are Gold status - does this give us any Serenity booking privileges?

Appreciate the very detailed run-down on check-in, knowing the "drill" helps me wait.

Due to being anxious to get home to the doggies, we have self-disembarked many times - it would be so easy if people doing the same had some manners, I know we are all anxious, tired & grumpy due to the cruise ending but a little kindness goes a long way:D

No privileges for gold members except for the past passenger party... Getting the Sanctuary will be very iffy... but you may get lucky. Remember that suite passengers, elite and platinum passengers all board before you...

No privileges for gold members except for the past passenger party... Getting the Sanctuary will be very iffy... but you may get lucky. Remember that suite passengers, elite and platinum passengers all board before you...

Not all of them, just the ones who have arrived and checked in before you can board.

I would be chewing my nails at arriving at the port the morning of the cruise, having flown cross-country. But that's your choice. You can check in as soon as you get there, and they probably will start boarding at noon.

You reserve the Sanctuary at the Sanctuary. It's operation is not connected to the Spa.

No idea about the coffee card, but I doubt it. EM

I feel the same way. When I got the tickets from the TA for our second cruise and my first one out of Miami, I looked at the plane tickets and realized it was for a red eye, arriving early morning in Miami. No way. After talking with my then bf (now hubby), I called the agency and said nope, change our flight to arriving the night before (the flight included a hotel stay). No way were we going to be bleary-eyed the first day of a cruise.

From then on, I made all of our travel arrangement and always would arrange for our arrival at least a day before. The cost of a hotel room was worth not having the stress of something going wrong with our flight and for a good night sleep.

Yes, taking the red-eye from SFO is not fun, we have done it a vast number of times-if it wasn't necessary for many reasons, we would go the day before - we do have a limo to the airport and always fly non-stop. As many above have posted, if you can fly in a day or so before, do it!

Now, for the Serenity inquiry, if we miss out on Serenity reservations, is there an "Adults Only" pool area? Or any quiet sundecks, "hidden gems" on the Royal Princess?

PLEASE - don't judge me, we both love seeing families with children on cruises, overzealous children (and adults) etc. are never a problem with us. We have traveled with our grandson and had a blast - I just though, sometimes, like to nap, read, and reflect in the sun.:cool:

Note: We do have a Veranda so all is good and totally excited and looking forward to a nice cruise, our last Princess cruise was stellar.

Edited by SMerritt

Now, for the Serenity inquiry, if we miss out on Serenity reservations, is there an "Adults Only" pool area? Or any quiet sundecks, "hidden gems" on the Royal Princess?

The Retreat Pool - which is adults only - is right next to the Sanctuary on the Royal (and Regal) Princess.