Tips

Rhonbru

can we pay tips for room service in S$ when we are on a asian cruise leaving from singapore and the exchange rate from A$ to S$ is much better than US$, we will be buying S$ as we are spending a couple of extra days in singapore after cruise

can we pay tips for room service in S$ when we are on a asian cruise leaving from singapore and the exchange rate from A$ to S$ is much better than US$, we will be buying S$ as we are spending a couple of extra days in singapore after cruise

The staff don't really care (especially if it's one of the currencies on the itinerary) thy have on board banking (at leat most lines, I assume all).

They may care if you use a strange currency to in effect give them less, ie hey won't be thrilled if you give them one of something that's only worth. Few cents.

However I've never observed the crew being as focused in tips as many here are.

Tipping for room service deliveries is actually on top of the automatic daily tip you are charged. While many cruisers do offer a tip for room service, it isn't required. I'm sure any staff member would accept any currency. It's an added bonus for them.

Is it not going to end up a bit complicated keep doing foreign currency conversions?

Regards John

They have on board banking, what they don't spend in port they hand over, the ship does the conversion to their home currency and send it home.

They may care if you use a strange currency to in effect give them less, ie hey won't be thrilled if you give them one of something that's only worth. Few cents.

However I've never observed the crew being as focused in tips as many here are.

No kidding! The crew never seems to be angling for a tip or expecting a tip. People here seem to obsess over them.

No kidding! The crew never seems to be angling for a tip or expecting a tip. People here seem to obsess over them.

I have had crew that were pretty clearly angling for a tip. But they were the minority by a long long way, perhaps one maybe two per cruise.

Cruising around Christmas we seem to get one every cruise who say " Enjoy your Christamas I will miss my family so much over Christmas while I am here serving you" and we laugh at how many of the Crew member's wives give birth, one even after he told us he hadn't been home in over a year:eek:.

But they are by a long way a minority.

Most seem happy knowing that if they di their job well, are pleasant and friendly the tips will come.

Most can also live very well "at home" on the basic wage and the tips make them very wealthy in their homelands.

We met up with one young man that my wife and I had helped pay to put through school and University, he was working on a ship. Hen we realized who each other was we had some lovely times. He was actually saving to open a school in his own village, he said that two years and he could buy about 50 acres and build the buildings, as they'd be the only block buildings in the village they would also double as storm shelter.

Edited by GUT2407

They have on board banking, what they don't spend in port they hand over, the ship does the conversion to their home currency and send it home.

I think you may have missed my point GUT. My posting "Is it not going to end up a bit complicated keep doing foreign currency conversions?" was in response to Paul's post "As long as you are giving them the equivalent, there will be no problems".

In other words you need to know yourself the equivalent value of the foreign money you are handing over as a tip it would seem according to Paul and this would be at the time you hand it over presumably. They may themselves have on board banking with conversion rates but you do not have access to that. So you have got to find out the rate yourself and do the mathematics seemingly. This will be different for each level of service you receive unless you go flat rate then is a tip for the whole cruise the same as delivering a cup of coffee to your cabin.

In short "As long as you are giving them the equivalent" is somewhat absurd as the recipient does not know what you intended to give, be it $1, $10 or $100.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

I think you may have missed my point GUT. My posting "Is it not going to end up a bit complicated keep doing foreign currency conversions?" was in response to Paul's post "As long as you are giving them the equivalent, there will be no problems".

In other words you need to know yourself the equivalent value of the foreign money you are handing over as a tip it would seem according to Paul and this would be at the time you hand it over presumably. They may themselves have on board banking with conversion rates but you do not have access to that. So you have got to find out the rate yourself and do the mathematics seemingly. This will be different for each level of service you receive unless you go flat rate then is a tip for the whole cruise the same as delivering a cup of coffee to your cabin.

In short "As long as you are giving them the equivalent" is somewhat absurd as the recipient does not know what you intended to give, be it $1, $10 or $100.

Regards John

Sorry I had misunderstood.

I agree as long as there is equivalency it doesn't really matter.

Personally I try to tip either in the lock currency or the currency on board the ship, I believe that's easier for everyone.