Never Cruised Before, But Need Cabin Advice

disneegeek2015

Hello, I am new to these forums (and brand new to cruising) and I was wondering how good a Oceanview Aft facing cabin would be on the Crown Princess? It would be level 14 next door to the Terrace Pool. Thanks for the advice. :)

Edited by disneegeek2015

From what I have read the porthole is set back from the wall and hard to see out of.

If You want to be near that door to the outside that goes out to the aft pool and aren't absolutely set on a window, try an inside. Inside is less $$ and you can still get outside easily. Great location, that is where we usually book.

I sailed in R749 on the Crown in a porthole cabin but it was a free upgrade. The portholes are about 15" in diameter & are setback into the wall about the same distance. The only benefit was daylight because there isn't really a view. As I recall the bed is under the windows & had to stand on the bed to have a very limited view. For me the oceanview cabins would be preferable & I wouldn't have paid for a porthole cabin.

The location was convenient to the pool & buffet but many times I had to stand in the open doorway to get a Wi-Fi signal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Hello, I am new to these forums (and brand new to cruising) and I was wondering how good a Oceanview Aft facing cabin would be on the Crown Princess? It would be level 14 next door to the Terrace Pool. Thanks for the advice. :)

And I'm the exact opposite of AstroFlyer -- I was upgraded out of R749 into a balcony. However, agree that the cabin seems small because of the bed placement under the portholes instead of against the side wall. And the view is somewhat limited. A better choice would be a cabin on Emerald deck: picture window and beds on the side wall. Financially speaking, the best choice is actually one in an obstructed-view category on that deck, where if you pick carefully, you can have a cabin with nothing blocking your view for several hundred dollars less. Check out this website with photos from all the obstructed-view cabins for help choosing one:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/crown-princess

From what I have read the porthole is set back from the wall and hard to see out of.

If You want to be near that door to the outside that goes out to the aft pool and aren't absolutely set on a window, try an inside. Inside is less $$ and you can still get outside easily. Great location, that is where we usually book.

I agree. In addition, on the Golden (same class of ship) those doors had a loud slamming noise when closing, so you might want to consider a few cabins down the hall if you are a light sleeper or otherwise bothered by such things.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar

We sailed in one of those cabins on the Emerald which has a bigger window than on the Crown.

The location was quiet and excellent. Good access to the aft pool and the buffet one deck up.

Of course the view is only to the aft which most of the time means just looking at the sea.

I agree. In addition, on the Golden (same class of ship) those doors had a loud slamming noise when closing, so you might want to consider a few cabins down the hall if you are a light sleeper or otherwise bothered by such things.

A few cabins down the hall are balcony cabins which are considerably more expensive than the cabins the OP is talking about.

Theo

And I'm the exact opposite of AstroFlyer -- I was upgraded out of R749 into a balcony. However, agree that the cabin seems small because of the bed placement under the portholes instead of against the side wall. And the view is somewhat limited. A better choice would be a cabin on Emerald deck: picture window and beds on the side wall. Financially speaking, the best choice is actually one in an obstructed-view category on that deck, where if you pick carefully, you can have a cabin with nothing blocking your view for several hundred dollars less. Check out this website with photos from all the obstructed-view cabins for help choosing one:

https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/crown-princess

Thanks rdsgrl for promoting my website. The more people know about it the better.

Theo

A few cabins down the hall are balcony cabins which are considerably more expensive than the cabins the OP is talking about.

Theo

We had R749 which is the furthest away from the door to the pool & noise was not an issue for us & neither was the adjacent crew stairway.

Theo

Sorry for any confusion. I was thinking of the aft insides on the Riviera deck as a less-expensive and possibly quieter alternative to the porthole cabins.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Remember with an aft you will feel more movement so if seasickness is even a minor issue may not be a great choice.

My very motion sickness prone wife had no problems with R749's upper deck aft location sailing from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale. She prefers to avoid upper deck forward cabins because of the potential for more motion. Aft cabins have worked well for her on many cruises including crossing your rough Tasman Sea. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

My very motion sickness prone wife had no problems with R749's upper deck aft location sailing from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale. She prefers to avoid upper deck forward cabins because of the potential for more motion. Aft cabins have worked well for her on many cruises including crossing your rough Tasman Sea. ;)

Whereas for DW its mid ship only.

Wow!! Thank you for all of the responses :) We are thinking of doing the 7-day California Coastal. We are trying to determine if we want to do a Balcony or Ocean view. we have never cruised before so this should be a fun experience. I am just trying to make an educated decision on which part of the ship we should choose. Lol. That alone feels like such a daunting task! Thanks again for all of your expertise!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our last cruise, which was on the Golden, we ended up in an aft inside on the Aloha deck. I was a bit wary as I'm the one in our family with motion issues and this was the Hawaiian RT (a lot of sea motion), but we liked the cabin. We could go down a few cabins to the door to the deck and then go up one flight of steps to the aft pool and the back door to the buffet (Horizon Court).

You may get some sea motion on the Coastal especially if you cross the California current, especially if you're going north from Mexico at some point.

Wow!! Thank you for all of the responses :) We are thinking of doing the 7-day California Coastal. We are trying to determine if we want to do a Balcony or Ocean view. we have never cruised before so this should be a fun experience. I am just trying to make an educated decision on which part of the ship we should choose. Lol. That alone feels like such a daunting task! Thanks again for all of your expertise!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is something to think about. Being that this is your first cruise you will most likely spend very little time in your room and more time roaming the ship. I would choose a midship obstructed view if you are trying to save money or if your budget allows full ocean view. I say ocean view not for the view but for the light and open feeling. Those interior rooms can feel quite small, dark and closed in if you have never cruised before. We sailed in an interior once and obstructed ocean views most other times. While I was fine with the interior I did miss the window for natural light. We kept the TV on to the webcam channel so it would give the illusion of having a window. Since you are not sure how you will react to the motion, midship on a lower deck will insure the least motion. Also your room will be centrally located so you won't be walking from one end of the ship to the other to get to your room. I don't know how port intensive your itinerary is but consider that you will be off of the ship during the day and will be more likely to spend more time in the evening midship on lower decks where most of the activities will be happening.

Here is something to think about. Being that this is your first cruise you will most likely spend very little time in your room and more time roaming the ship. I would choose a midship obstructed view if you are trying to save money or if your budget allows full ocean view. I say ocean view not for the view but for the light and open feeling. Those interior rooms can feel quite small, dark and closed in if you have never cruised before. We sailed in an interior once and obstructed ocean views most other times. While I was fine with the interior I did miss the window for natural light. We kept the TV on to the webcam channel so it would give the illusion of having a window. Since you are not sure how you will react to the motion, midship on a lower deck will insure the least motion. Also your room will be centrally located so you won't be walking from one end of the ship to the other to get to your room. I don't know how port intensive your itinerary is but consider that you will be off of the ship during the day and will be more likely to spend more time in the evening midship on lower decks where most of the activities will be happening.

Very good points.

Theo

That's good to know. We have always avoided aft locations because of concern about motion sensation.

As Colo pointed out, this is a great location for a budget price.

We’ve stayed in these outermost OV cabins on several ships and agree the ‘view’ is limited – but for us, just having daylight visible beats what you get with an inside cabin.

Located on Riviera or Aloha deck depending on the ship, you can avoid elevator waiting to access the upper decks. Just 20 or so steps and you’re up on the Horizon pool deck and quick access from there up to the Lido buffet or to Sun and Sports decks.

Have never experienced any noises overhead and if sailing on the Ruby, you get the bonus of these rooms having balconies. I agree that the door out to the deck can slam at times, but that has never been any noticeable bother.

Some mention movement as a concern. In my opinion, if the ship is moving enough to bother you in these rooms you would likely be feeling ‘movement’ in other cabin locations as well.

Others have also pointed out that an Aft Inside cabin on this same upper deck could be an attractive budget option (if you don’t need to see daylight) – In that case I would suggest Cabins 736/737, they seem to be placed under the wall structure from the deck above and this minimizes any overhead noise.

Enjoy the fun of making your cabin choice and planning your first Princess cruise, I’m certain you’ll enjoy the trip, the Crown is a great ship!