Does Princess offer upsells?

jt58203

Does Princess offer upsells? Just wondering as I tried searching the threads. I already booked an inside cabin that I'd be happy with (1A on Regal) but on my most recent cruise with Holland America, something amazing happened:

In December 2014 I booked an inside sideways cabin (I believe it was their 2nd highest cat. inside) for an Alaska Cruise/Tour departing June 2015. In January, the price had dropped $300 each. In February it dropped another $50 each. Within 10 days or so of the cruise I received an upsell offer and snagged a vista suite for $349 each. So, for two dollars less than I originally paid, I got their highest category vista suite mid-ship.

I booked an inside sideways cabin on Regal for October 2016. (I had an inside sideways cabin in a great location on Emerald earlier this year and loved it!). The Canada/New England itinerary is so port intense, and one can't predict what the weather is going to be like, so I'm happy with my choice. I will definitely keep an eye out for price drops, but not counting on it.

You're probably more likely to get an upsell attempt, than a meaningful perk like "Sip and Sail".........

What?

Upsells do happen... You can get price drops as well, if any. As Colo Cruiser said, don't count on it however. You were just very, very lucky on Holland America.

Yep they offer them.

Not sure it happens very often though.

They seem to be becoming more common. I've had upsells offered on my last two Princess cruises, but they were insides to balconies in both cases. I asked if anything higher than a balcony was available to me, and told no. I'm guessing that any full-suite upsells are offered to mini-suite pax first, and probably sell out at that point.

Both of my last 2 cruises on Princess had upsell offers. In both cases I had booked a mini suite and I received the upsell offer within a week of my booking. I accepted both and now it is hard to think of not being in a suite. Both cruises were booked within 45 days of sailing. Im not holding my breath but I just booked a mini for a Coastal in November. Hope I hit the trifecta! :D

Both of my last 2 cruises on Princess had upsell offers. In both cases I had booked a mini suite and I received the upsell offer within a week of my booking. I accepted both and now it is hard to think of not being in a suite. Both cruises were booked within 45 days of sailing. Im not holding my breath but I just booked a mini for a Coastal in November. Hope I hit the trifecta! :D

Best of luck to you! What you describe is one reason why I've never booked a suite on a short cruise on which it would be more affordable--I'm afraid I'd be spoiled for anything else in the future :).

Princess is offering upsells far more often than they used to. I've been offered several over the last couple of years but declined since the upsell cost as a single is 200% of the upsell offer.

I've experienced this also. My recent upsell charge as a solo was 200% of the offer, even though my original booking was at 160%. I decided to go for it anyway, as it got me from an inside to a Caribe balcony on a September CA coastal, when the weather should be nice.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
clarity

Princess is offering upsells far more often than they used to. I've been offered several over the last couple of years but declined since the upsell cost as a single is 200% of the upsell offer.

I think you are correct. We received an upsell offer this week to a Mini-Suite from a BB Balcony for $79pp on a short cruise. I did not take the offer since we are going on the following cruise to Hawaii and I wanted to be in the same cabin for both cruises.

It seems like Princess is offering more "upsells" and fewer free (surprise) upgrades.

Over the past 2-1/2 years we have received two upsell offers from the lowest category mini-suite to a full suite. On an 11 day cruise it was $299/person and in a 4 day cruise it was $199/person. We took the first offer but passed on the second because we were traveling with friends who were in the next mini-suite and they did not receive the offer.

You don't have to wait for an upsell offer, I did my own upsell. Kept an eye on the prices for my cruise, a couple of months ago the mini suites for my cruise dropped in price to only $50 pp more than what I had paid for our balcony. Our TA contacted Princess to see if I could upgrade and pay the difference and Princess were more than happy to do so.

I thought I would lose our $50 OBC each but imagine my surprise when I received the offer that the mini suite had attached to it which was $125 OBC each plus a balcony breakfast. I came out ahead and managed to snag one of the Emerald Deck covered balcony mini suites.

Now we are only 43 days out from our cruise, I wonder if they will offer me a full suite :)

I've had the same experience. Plus it increases your insurance cost (!)

I did take an upsell offer on HAL this summer. Regrettably unlike Princess they don't seem to give you suite credit if you paid for a lower category and accepted an upsell. I looked at the rules and they speak of "full price".

Edited by Wehwalt

You don't have to wait for an upsell offer, I did my own upsell. Kept an eye on the prices for my cruise, a couple of months ago the mini suites for my cruise dropped in price to only $50 pp more than what I had paid for our balcony. Our TA contacted Princess to see if I could upgrade and pay the difference and Princess were more than happy to do so.

I thought I would lose our $50 OBC each but imagine my surprise when I received the offer that the mini suite had attached to it which was $125 OBC each plus a balcony breakfast. I came out ahead and managed to snag one of the Emerald Deck covered balcony mini suites.

Now we are only 43 days out from our cruise, I wonder if they will offer me a full suite :)

Princess seem to be good like that, other lines want the difference between what a balcony is now and a mini suite is now.

I have never had one on Princess, but understand thry are becoming more prevalent.

I have, however, received up sells on our last two Holland America cruises which were both 12 night cruises in Europe. We accepted one on our Baltic cruise this past June, it was from a standard balcony cabin guarantee to a full suite. It was an aft wrap suite and I'm sure the best cabin we will ever have! ;)

How many days / weeks before your cruise do they usually offer those up sell offers?

It all depends on how well the cruise is selling.

Generally about 30 days. However our Med cruise is not selling well and reports of upsells have been coming out starting last week, so 60 days.

Our Coral PC next month cruise has been sold out for at least 18 months. I have heard that mant cats are oversold so they will start doing moveover offers until they get enough takers to free up space.