Bikes on Princess

RMMariner

I looked through previous posts, and it does seem that some ships allow you to bring your bicycle. I phoned and Princess told me I probably could, but I would need to talk to the ship when it came closer to departure time.

I would love to bring my bike, and ride around. My wife loves just relaxing, but I go a little stir crazy. This is sort of our way of balancing the trip. We went to Hawaii in March of this year and biking would have been great.

Anybody have any direct experience bringing their bike on a Princess ship?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I looked through previous posts, and it does seem that some ships allow you to bring your bicycle. I phoned and Princess told me I probably could, but I would need to talk to the ship when it came closer to departure time.

I would love to bring my bike, and ride around. My wife loves just relaxing, but I go a little stir crazy. This is sort of our way of balancing the trip. We went to Hawaii in March of this year and biking would have been great.

Anybody have any direct experience bringing their bike on a Princess ship?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

I thought you were talking about biking in port, but the sentence I bolded above implies you mean on the ship. While I don't know for a fact, I cannot imagine that this would be permitted at all. As for bringing it aboard to use in ports, I don't know. I recall previous threads mentioning this, but can't recall whether it was allowed or not.

We have seen passengers bring their bikes onboard. They were asked to clean the tires before rolling them on the ship and they must be stored in the passenger's cabin.

There are bikes for crew member use, too, but these cannot be used by passengers and passenger bikes cannot be stored where the crew bikes are below decks.

We have seen passengers bring their bikes onboard. They were asked to clean the tires before rolling them on the ship and they must be stored in the passenger's cabin.

There are bikes for crew member use, too, but these cannot be used by passengers and passenger bikes cannot be stored where the crew bikes are below decks.

I knew you would know this! I'm kind of surprised you guys don't bring your bikes . . . although I know storage is probably an issue when you weigh bikes v. diving/snorkel gear.

I've seen bikers wheel their bikes into the elevators (which no one else could use when they do) both disembarking and embarking in ports. Nothing like coming back from a long day on shore, waiting for an elevator for what seems like ages only to have some jerk push ahead and roll his bike on before anyone else could get into the elevator. :( Maybe it's just my bad luck but that's been my experience with people bringing and using bikes.

I'm kinda new to all of this, but it seems to me it would be easier to rent a bike in port than to haul one around with you. :)

I wish it were that easy but not all ports have bike rentals, and some bikes I have managed to rent were not in great condition, nor was a helmet always available.

Having said that, the excursion I did in Skagway, cycling down from 3,000 feet above town, was on excellent bikes with very good disc brakes - kinda necessary since it was more about braking than pedaling!

True, most ports DO NOT have bike rentals anywhere near the port. Now I have thought of bringing my bike as a healthy alternative to riding a bus or in a car, but the space they take up in a cabin stopped me. If someone were at a elevator with their bike, what is the big deal about having to wait for the next elevator? I have seen very rude people have a fit if a wheelchair is at an elevator too. I actually saw someone jump over a wheelchair to get to the elevator first. Try to remember that you are on vacation and should not be in a hurry at all on the ship. JMHO

I knew you would know this! I'm kind of surprised you guys don't bring your bikes . . . although I know storage is probably an issue when you weigh bikes v. diving/snorkel gear.

Actually, we gave serious thought to bringing an inflatable kayak this year (Sea Eagle). We tried one out at a local lake and loved it. It could be checked on the plane as one piece of luggage. Quick set up and take down. We just ran out of time this year to get one and practice with it (it's been a crazy summer).

ETA: We've met a middle-aged lady who used a Segway to get around due to a neuromuscular disorder. She did great in ports (has used it all over the world) but once at the ship she needed another mobility device as they would not allow her to use it in the ship. Her husband would board, get her device (I think it was a walker), bring it out to her on the dock and he would walk the Segway up the gangway and back to their cabin. She was using the Segway on the hazardous streets of Dominica; this was one gutsy lady!

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

If someone were at a elevator with their bike, what is the big deal about having to wait for the next elevator? I have seen very rude people have a fit if a wheelchair is at an elevator too. I actually saw someone jump over a wheelchair to get to the elevator first. Try to remember that you are on vacation and should not be in a hurry at all on the ship. JMHO

Pam's issue was not having a bike, it was the pushing ahead of everyone else. Not waiting their turn was what made the person a "jerk".

I've seen bikers wheel their bikes into the elevators (which no one else could use when they do) both disembarking and embarking in ports. Nothing like coming back from a long day on shore, waiting for an elevator for what seems like ages only to have some jerk push ahead and roll his bike on before anyone else could get into the elevator. :( Maybe it's just my bad luck but that's been my experience with people bringing and using bikes.

Good point. I can see how that would be annoying. No problems though. Two cruises, and I have never used an elevator yet. I try to use the stairs all the time. Just trying to keep from putting on weight.

Thank you for your input. I agree the cabins are a little small, but last time we had a mini-suite and there would have been room. I was hoping maybe the ship might have a place to store it. Up on the sport deck maybe?

I agree rentals might be easier, but I did not see them in Hawaii when we were there.

I also love my bike. I have cycled around Australia and across Canada on it. Quite a few other places too. My wife loves cruising and hates biking. I want her to be happy and I do not want to take separate vacations. My first choice was biking around Iceland for a month, but my wife wanted no part of that. This is our compromise.

I appreciate all your input. I certainly will not be a jerk on the elevators, but I tell you there is nothing better than cycling someplace new. I have found that you get to see a place so much better than on a bus or walking.

Thank you all. These message boards are filled with incredibly nice people. Not surprising, since so were the two cruises we went on.

The last time I checked the policy, they were permitted to transport on board but not use on board, and the guest was responsible for transporting them around the ship for ports.

I've heard reports of the crew being of assistance by relaying the bike via crew elevators, but that cannot be guaranteed as an option.

For me the key would either be to have a foldable bike OR to arrive at the gangway level 30 mins or so before scheduled offloading.

For travel, a folding bike might be worth looking into. It would be easy to store in the cabin and easier to travel with than a full size bike.

Good point about the folding bike. I am looking into a bike with couplers, but they really are a pain to reassemble, but they are much better for airplanes. Folding bikes have come a long way. Not a bad idea.

Good points Loonbeam. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

I don't want to cause problems for the staff or other cruisers, but I really want to ride.

For the record, my wife does not want me to bring it. So help me out folks :)

There is another thread "I wish princess would...."

My comment could also go there BUT,

I for one (as a bike enthusiast) would love if 'princess would' have a dozen or so 'cruiser' bikes (no pun intended) for passengers to rent from princess in port. I realize the storage space involved but it seems they could make good $ renting them out.

There is another thread "I wish princess would...."

My comment could also go there BUT,

I for one (as a bike enthusiast) would love if 'princess would' have a dozen or so 'cruiser' bikes (no pun intended) for passengers to rent from princess in port. I realize the storage space involved but it seems they could make good $ renting them out.

I actually had the same idea. You could have a mechanic/guide take the bikes out as another shore excursion. At the prices the cruise ships charge for excursions, it would probably make pretty good money.

Good point. I can see how that would be annoying. No problems though. Two cruises, and I have never used an elevator yet. I try to use the stairs all the time. Just trying to keep from putting on weight.

I'm not sure dragging the bike up and down the stairs is an improvement over the elevator.

Have you thought about getting a folding bike. If you do not currently have one and you are a biking enthusiast, any excuse for a new bike.

Didn't read all the posts - I guess that someone has already suggested this.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

I'm not sure dragging the bike up and down the stairs is an improvement over the elevator.

There are not near as many people on the stairs, and I am sure I could do it without bothering anyone.

As far as going up and down many floors, if storage could be arranged on the lower decks, I do not think it would be a problem.

If this was a real problem, I imagine that Princess would just say no to bikes.

Have you actually been inconvenienced by someone carrying a bike up or down the stairs on your cruise? If so, what could be done to minimize the problem?

I wish it were that easy but not all ports have bike rentals, and some bikes I have managed to rent were not in great condition, nor was a helmet always available.

Having said that, the excursion I did in Skagway, cycling down from 3,000 feet above town, was on excellent bikes with very good disc brakes - kinda necessary since it was more about braking than pedaling!

Did this with my hubby a few years back and had a ball! I think it was 20 some-odd miles ALL DOWNHILL. :D