The Salty Dog Gastropub and New Grounds Crafted Coffee

IECalCruiser

Received the latest issue of the Captain's Circle Magazine today and there was a page with some details of the Salty Dog Gastropub and New Grounds Crafted Coffee. I had heard about the pub to be added to the Wheelhouse bar but hadn't heard about the new coffee product.

"The Salty Dog Gastropub, scheduled to be introduced in the Wheelhouse Bar on Crown Princess in October 2015, followed by Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess in December 2015, will feature a gourmet menu of small plate options allowing diners to build their own dining experience. Open for dinner, the menu includes trendy and upscale interpretations of pub classics presented in a refined yet casual setting with exceptional service. Live music and entertainment add to a fun and relaxing atmosphere."

"Beverage options include craft and specialty beers, classic and contemporary cocktails, and a specially designed whiskey menu will roll out fleetwide throughout 2015 and 2016."

Wonder if there will be a charge for the food?

There was also information about New Grounds Crafted Coffee, something I had not heard about previously.

"We've recently been brewing up a new premium coffee program to bring you even more tasty coffee and tea drinks onboard. The new program we're calling "New Grounds Crafted Coffee" will include both hot and cold espresso-based drinks, barista coffee fusions, iced tea fusions, and green

tea and coffee extracts."

"Princess has partnered with the American Barista & Coffee School in Portland, Oregon, to ensure baristas on board are specially trained to provide a premium coffee experience. Caffe Boasi beans from Genoa, Italy, will be used to brew all specialty-crafted coffee."

I doubt it. This is an evening event and, for now, apparently will only be on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby.

That is what I'm hoping, that the pub lunch stays! I also noticed that they didn't mention any food pricing. I assume there is an upcharge for the gastropub dinner, but maybe not and they hope to make up for it in craft beer sales to go with?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
grammar

[...]so I don't have to carry my IC-purchased coffee up the stairs or elevator to the HC for breakfast anymore :(.

:confused: Most all the specialty coffees from the IC are available from the Calypso Bar just outside the HC. Any server in the HC would have gladly fetched one for you.

And back to the original topic: from what I saw on my last cruise on Ruby they will have a hard time clearing out the Wheelhouse after twofer happy hour to get it converted to Gastropub mode. And the phrase "refined yet casual" sure smells like an upcharge venue to me.

Thank you for sharing these details.

I'm intrigued by the Salty Dog concept, but hope they don't get rid of the actual bar in the Wheelhouse, as it's long been our favorite venue for pre-dinner cocktails. Glad to hear they will still have music. As much as I love the Wheelhouse as it is on these ships, I do concede that we have noticed a decided reduction in patrons over the years, so this may help bolster use of this lounge.

I'll also be interested to see how the change in the coffee product and training may affect the experience on board.

Wonder if there will be a charge for the food?

"Princess has partnered with the American Barista & Coffee School in Portland, Oregon, to ensure baristas on board are specially trained to provide a premium coffee experience. Caffe Boasi beans from Genoa, Italy, will be used to brew all specialty-crafted coffee."

Charge for food, my guess is yes similar to Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar on the Royal and Regal, or maybe similar to Vines where you can get a plate of food with the purchase of one of the beverages.

New coffee barista bar. What will this do to the International cafe and the coffee card?

Thank you for sharing these details.

I'm intrigued by the Salty Dog concept, but hope they don't get rid of the actual bar in the Wheelhouse, as it's long been our favorite venue for pre-dinner cocktails. Glad to hear they will still have music. As much as I love the Wheelhouse as it is on these ships, I do concede that we have noticed a decided reduction in patrons over the years, so this may help bolster use of this lounge.

I'll also be interested to see how the change in the coffee product and training may affect the experience on board.

Yeah it will be interesting how they do it.

:confused: Most all the specialty coffees from the IC are available from the Calypso Bar just outside the HC. Any server in the HC would have gladly fetched one for you.

Is this the case for ALL Princess ships or just your observation of the ships you have cruised on? I would love to not have to go down to the IC just to get an Americano or "Black Eye" and then come back up to Lido if I can't make it to breakfast in the dining room.

Maybe it will be structured like Vines' wine and tapas. Charge for the craft beers (which they would anyway) and the food will be included.

I'm thinking that will be it. They call the food "small plates," but I don't think of that when I think of pub grub. Oh well, I guess we'll find out. I'm on the Crown in October.

Is this the case for ALL Princess ships or just your observation of the ships you have cruised on? I would love to not have to go down to the IC just to get an Americano or "Black Eye" and then come back up to Lido if I can't make it to breakfast in the dining room.

On the Royal and the Regal, there is a coffee bar in the pastry shop on Lido in the Horizon.:)

Not disclosing the cost is the latest example of Princess promoting a change without telling us the cost for it. :(

For SHARE their FB reply about the cost was only a vague statement saying "there will be a nominal cover charge for SHARE much like with our other specialty dining options".

The Salty Dog begins in October & their press release makes no mention about whether it's complimentary or has an extra fee.

It shouldn't be necessary for passengers to speculate about the cost for both new dining options & Princess should inform us of the cost. The Salty Dog begins on the Crown in about a month & it's doubtful to me that they haven't decided if it's complimentary or not. :confused:

Edited by Astro Flyer

They may start by testing various pricing and options to see what works before publishing a set price, if any...

Not disclosing the cost is the latest example of Princess promoting a change without telling us the cost for it. :(

For SHARE their FB reply about the cost was only a vague statement saying "there will be a nominal cover charge for SHARE much like with our other specialty dining options".

The Salty Dog begins in October & their press release makes no mention about whether it's complimentary or has an extra fee.

It shouldn't be necessary for passengers to speculate about the cost for both new dining options & Princess should inform us of the cost. The Salty Dog begins on the Crown in about a month & it's doubtful to me that they haven't decided if it's complimentary or not. :confused:

+1

Srpilo

They may start by testing various pricing and options to see what works before publishing a set price, if any...

That's a possibility however only a month in advance I would expect them to have already tested their options & decided if there will or will not be a fee. It's been speculated that it will be like Ocean Seafood Terrace or Kai Sushi with a price for each plate. However I see no reason for not telling us if there will be a cost & if so what that cost would be only a month before implementation.

At least SHARE disclosed there would a "nominal cover charge" and SHARE begins after the Salty Dog. I think Princess needs to fully research changes before disclosing them to passengers particularly for a change only a month away. They're being vague about SHARE pricing and even worse they have not disclosed whether there is a fee or not for the Salty Dog.

I think they should have tested pricing options before promoting the implementation of this change instead of promoting the Salty Dog without disclosing any pricing structure.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I'm thinking that will be it. They call the food "small plates," but I don't think of that when I think of pub grub. Oh well, I guess we'll find out. I'm on the Crown in October.

I agree. Generally "small plates" are Tapas-type foods.

That's a possibility however only a month in advance I would expect them to have already tested their options & decided if there will or will not be a fee. It's been speculated that it will be like Ocean Seafood Terrace or Kai Sushi with a price for each plate. However I see no reason for not telling us if there will be a cost & if so what that cost would be only a month before implementation.

At least SHARE disclosed there would a "nominal cover charge" and SHARE begins after the Salty Dog. I think Princess needs to fully research changes before disclosing them to passengers particularly for a change only a month away. They're being vague about SHARE pricing and even worse they have not disclosed whether there is a fee or not for the Salty Dog.

I think they should have tested pricing options before promoting the implementation of this change instead of promoting the Salty Dog without disclosing any pricing structure.

Remember - this is Princess. Even if they published if there will be a charge and how much that will be, many cruisers will find it different on their particular cruise. You know that consistency is not a Princess strength :-)

I agree with others, my British Pub experiences have never included "small plates."