Carnival Sensation is Sensational

TV Dad

I am a long time cruiser and no great fan of the Carnival brand. It always seemed to me to be like spring break on the high seas. I have traveled many times on Carnival ships, usually when I needed a quick getaway, other cruise lines were not available, or friends invited me along and were shopping for a budget cruise.

I use that as a preface, because I want to let you know I'm not overselling this particular cruise.

I was amazed at how great my most recent sailing was on Carnival Sensation. We cruised April 30 to May 3rd. The physical condition of the ship is a bit dated. There is rust and wear all over the place, but it is by no means uncomfortable. Check-in was very smooth and quick. Here's a tip, when boarding the first time, head for the far gangway. It is only 30 feet farther away and much less crowded. You won't wait in as long a line to board.

The bed in our suite was comfortable, the towels were big and absorbent, our cabin steward did an excellent job of making sure the room was clean.

Here is what I loved most. The food was better than I have ever had on Carnival and better than I've had on many more upscale ships. All three dinners were exquisitely prepared. The Sea Day Brunch on Saturday was so good, nobody in my party of seven wanted to leave the table and head to the pool! We even splurged on the $75 Chef Select Dinner on the last night. If you're in the mood to be pampered and treated like royalty sign up for this dinner. It is limited to twelve people, so don't miss out. It is a seven course meal with unlimited wine and champagne throughout.

The entertainment was top notch. I saw two shows and both were superb. You usually find the less talented performers on these shorter cruises. However, Sensation's performers were sensational. I was less than impressed with the player in the piano bar. He was more interested in clowning around than in playing music. However, "Bobby in the Lobby" was a great guitarist who entertained with style and class. The cruise director "Big Sexy" Josh was funny and professional. He's off for three months, so you will miss him if you are cruising before the fall.

The dining staff was friendly and efficient. Everyone went out of their way to memorize your names.

You will not be disappointed with this budget cruise.

I found it SENSATIONAL!

• 2 months later...

Sensation is the ship that started my cruising addiction. We loved every minute on the ship. I don't think I've ever smiled so much in my life as that weekend on the Sensation.

Glad to hear others feel the same!