Carnival Dream Airconditioning?

EL Capitan Z

Most people work all year in order to afford a vacation and don't feel its asking too much to have a comfortable cabin. So yeah, it is all of about me, me, me. Not to the point of other guest discomfort or being rude to others. People in the hospitality industry know, or should know, its their job to meet or exceed guest reasonable expectations. Having a cabin temperature that I consider comfortable is one of those expectations.

Apparently this cruise line does not feel the same way, or unable or unwilling to fix the ac.

Why risk your vacation time and money. Why don't you just cancel and pick a different cruise line that have no reported ac problems.

If they can't fix the ac, what makes you think they would be better at fixing the engine in the middle of the ocean?

And all I hear is me... me... ME!

Kicking, screaming, waving e-mail "evidence" and angry complaints to customer service representatives will only frustrate you - and them.

The most effective solution to this problem has been mentioned before: choose another ship (or line). The only true way to get a company's attention is by making your opinion known with your purchasing dollars. When it hits them in the financial statement with decreased bookings, a change will happen.

When I'm paying big bucks for a cruise, it is definitely about me me me....and my family!

• 2 months later...

Here's my 2 cents. In some part of the ship there is a very large circulation/blower motor or airconditioning component that is broken and cannot be repaired. It must be replaced. It also cannot be replaced in port or at sea, and Carnival will not take the ship out of revenue service, however briefly, to have it replaced.

Carnival is of course aware of this a/c problem but will not fess up to it because that means lost revenue. Deny, deny....play ignorant.

They are waiting for the ship to have the scheduled dry dock/heavy maintenance period to address this problem. Whenever that might be.

So, be as aware as possible, prepare for the worst (fan, etc.) And if you encounter this problem, just be aware that staff cannot do much about it and will not....as long as they are in denial mode.

But, what you can do is complain, complain and be angry. Get with other cabins around you with the same issues and DEMAND to speak with the captain. That may not happen, and you will be given the runaround, as all these postings demonstrate. But you may get something...steak dinner, OBC, % off a future cruise.

Mechanical problems can't allways be fixed immediately, but the company has choice on how to interface between paying costomers and their machinery.

If I'm close in my assessment of this, they may be taking a BIG gamble with our vacation dollars.

Oh, I'm an aircraft mechanic and the same crap happens in this industry, just a different scale. Planes have backup for all important systems, and don't need to be out of service long for component replacement.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, our cove cabin #2275 was hot in August. After we filled out their survey after the cruise they offered us $50 OBC and a free dinner in the steakhouse for 2 on our next cruise.

We are now booked on the Dream on February 15 in cove cabin 2294 and hope it is cooler.

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a twist on the problem. We just got home from a 7 day out of New Orleans on the Dream. We had 7458 aft. Never had heat. Always on air. Had to cover vents.

Did you tell anyone about it? I'm sorry you had to endure that. On the other hand, I hope my cabin is freezing in June!

We told the cabin steward and he said we were supposed to turn the dial to BLUE instead of red for heat. We had actually already tried that just in case it was working backwards. We decided not to complain more because we might end up losing our air when we needed it😳

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...
This is undoubtedly part of the problem. But hey it's all about them right? They paid their cruise fare screw the other 3500 passengers on board.

Balcony cabins are out of my tax bracket (LOL) budget. However after reading many threads and reviews here at

Cruise Critic I've learned the balcony doors are rigged to the room A/C. Meaning when the door is open the cabin air shuts off. And you must secure the balcony door exactly for the climate control to kick back on.

Some other interesting tidbits of information on this sweaty topic:

1. Carnival's "acceptible temperature cabin range" is between 68 and 74 degrees. I've been on five cruises all Carnival and have only had a cabin to my chilly liking once on my second cruise. Now for those of you who do not know, I like my sleeping area cold. Meaning a temperature range of 62 to 72! Most people's range of comfort is between 72 and 78. On my last two cruises I've gotten a fan from my cabin steward and this has made sleeping more comfortable. When I've talked to maintenance or guest services and they mention their range I tell them fine but can you get my room at the lower end of your range. Meaning 68 to 71. And I'd be happy. As others mentioned removing the diffuser/vent cover helps a bit. Regarding the responder who sealed up their bathroom and stuffed the exhaust vent; from what I know of HVAC principles, that intake/exhaust actually helps regulate the temperature. Meaning if the room or area is warmer, the miniscule amount of air exhausted out will be warmer and in theory cause the A/C to be colder. What adds to the discomfort is the high humidity of being on the open sea. Read the message boards and you'll see that Carnival does not have the exclusive monopoly on hot and stuffy cabins. There are many postings/reviews about this topic. Sadly modern cruise ships are unlike most hotels. The ships have central systems and it's at best luck of the draw for being comfortable. Most hotels especially the newer ones have individual units usually under the window where you are the controller. If they are sized big enough you can have your room like a meat locker. My recomendation to Carnival and the rest of this industry. "If you want to save some $$$ just charge a bit more for incidentals like photos and spa services. You could easily make up the difference in using extra energy. Comfortable customers are satisfied customers and will return in kind. Another idea to save money and be environmentally/politically correct upon check in/embarkation: Ask if you want to save paper and opt out of the daily happenings newsletter and just catch it on the room TV. I don't mind getting important information online or on TV. I can do without all the paper. Of course those who want paper can have a paper of the events.

Just off the Dream Sunday, we had the 9th floor port side aft wrap. The room stayed between 70 and 75 degrees (thermometer on inside wall) with drapes always closed. I was fine at night and we sleep with temp set in our bedroom at home at 64, but late morning and through early evening it was hot and stuffy feeling. We didn't bother complaining to anyone (but each other LOL). I knew they wouldn't do anything about it and I didn't want to waste my vacation time getting smoke blown up my a**:rolleyes:, so we just dealt. We did bring a clip on fan and I think sleeping would have been difficult without it.

Had the a/c problem a couple times on the breeze...A BIG TIP.... Bring some Duct tape and put it over the lower vent on the inside of the entrance door to keep the a/c in the room!! the reason the hallways are cooler than your room is the air from your room blows out into the hallways from your room,before you do it stand outside your room door and feel the air blowing out of your room !!!!!!!! IT REALLY WORKS

Had the a/c problem a couple times on the breeze...A BIG TIP.... Bring some Duct tape and put it over the lower vent on the inside of the entrance door to keep the a/c in the room!! the reason the hallways are cooler than your room is the air from your room blows out into the hallways from your room,before you do it stand outside your room door and feel the air blowing out of your room !!!!!!!! IT REALLY WORKS

Thanks! I'll definitly try that. Instead of the tape, I'd just take a thick spa towell or 2 and achieve the aame thing. And, of course I'd take the diffuser off the ceiling. Makes sense as cold air drops and hot air rises. And, if on another cruise and you get a fan, you may want to place the fan on the floor as close to the hallway door and have it blow toward you inside the cabin.

I sailed the March 15, 2015 cruise on the Dream. We had an aft extended balcony on the 9th deck. The only time I noticed the heat was late afternoon while trying to get ready for early seating dinner, it was very hot in the room. Almost impossible to put on makeup. I can't imagine how difficult it would be in summer months. We are not complainers just normally go with it, but it was definitely hot in late afternoon.

Patti

Not exactly. If you decrease the air leaving your cabin you will also decrease the cool air coming into your cabin. Air circulates, what goes out must come in and what comes in must go out.

Edited by tallyho8

We are sailing in November in rooms 2263 and 2267. I have read all of these post and I know they keep stating that the rooms with the problems are midship to aft. Well there was someone who said that they were in 2275 and their room was hot. That is 4 rooms down from us. Does anyone have any experience in our rooms?

Just sailed on Dream and our cabin (Lido balcony forward) was the coolest we have ever experienced on a cruise. I stay hot most of the time and I was very comfortable. It was actually cold in the Ocean Plaza but to me it was great.

Also sailed the Dream in March in a forward balcony cabin on deck 9 and were very comfortable. However walking to the aft elevators every night to get to the dining room you could feel the temperature rising from about the mid elevators back. If those cabins were as warm as the hallway I would not blame anyone for complaining.

Not exactly. If you decrease the air leaving your cabin you will also decrease the cool air coming into your cabin. Air circulates, what goes out must come in and what comes in must go out.

Good Theory.... But it works . You can put a fun times over the vent and it will stay on the vent until you open the door!!!!!!! I have been on the Breeze many times and on the Dream 1 time.. Have told other people who also say the same thing about the a/c and have closed the door vent and thanked me...SO do you leave your front or back door open in your house when your a/c is on ?