What do you say to people who think Carnival cruise=cesspool?

Who cares what other people think? There will always be a Negative Nelly. Spend your money and vacation time how you want to and have a great time doing it.

THIS!!! But in all honesty, I don't even think twice when someone asks me what cruise line I'm using. I feel extremely privileged to be able to afford a getaway like a cruise. I'm in my mid 20's and never had the opportunity when I was younger since my parents simply didn't have the disposable income.

Those that stick their noses to the sky aren't the ones you want to be spending your cruise with anyways, is it? I know I wouldn't want to.

My mom went on RCCL for the first time last December out of Galveston as she usually cruises on Carnival. 2 days in to the cruise she ends up with Noro and so does 157 other passengers! She was quarantined to her interior room for 3 days straight. No Thank You!!!! We have all been on numerous Carnival cruises and never gotten sick on any of them. We tried NCL for an Alaskan cruise and didn't care for it at all so back to Carnival.

I was in the elevator at the hotel last May the day we were to board the Magic in Galveston. A guy got on the elevator and had a RCCL lanyard on so, I nicely said that I see he is going on Royal today. He said yes I am diamond on Royal...are you going to be on board? I said...no, we are boarding the Magic today. He then got snotty and started talking bad about Carnival. The doors opened for me to get out and I turned around while I was exiting and smiled and said...people like you are the reason I won't get go on an RRCL cruise ship. You should have seen his face!!:eek::eek:

That RCCL ship went to all of our ports that cruise. We had a family go with us on our excursion in Cozumel. She asked what ship we were on and we said the Magic. She said, can we hide in your bags and get on board with you? We are bored out of our minds and all those passengers on the Magic have been so happy and gitty this whole trip. Every time we pull up next to that ship we can hear y'all. My kids are killing me that we chose RCCL over the Magic. I guess they had such few kids on that ship during that cruise that they closed down some of the activities for the kids. Our kids were having a blast.

We are going on our first Carnival in June, and we've heard all the "horror stories" I don't care. A cruise is what you make it. Our other cruises have been on NCL and years ago, Premier. We love NCL and I have no doubt we'll love Carnival too. And if I got more bang for my buck on RCI, Celebrity or whatever, we'd go on that too. For us, for the time and departure port (New Orleans) Carnival was it.

I have not read all the postings, but the is MY opinion.

My friend who used to cruise with me for years, has not cruised for a long time, and said the same thing. (I have been cruising with others ever since.)

This is what I told her, any type of illness can be found in an airport, bus terminal, stadium, indoor events, hospitals, etc. Look what happened at Disneyland? I know they tried to PUSH cruise lines down, but as I said, it can happen anywhere.

I have been cruising for over 26 years, and NEVER got sick from being on any of the ships I was on.

I tried another line this year, nice ship, but I didn't use half of what they offer. I just booked two rooms and saved over $500 for the same week, and the inside rooms are bigger, not to mention the bath!

Like politics and religion, if someone has made their opinion or choice, you are not going to change it, so I would not even bother to rise to the bait and debate it with them. I also would not succumb to their rhetoric and go on a more expensive cruise I did not want to go on, just to please them. If they can't compromise, why should you? I have been on CCL, RCCL and NCL. All have good and bad points, none are perfect, but I have enjoyed all. Booked on Carnival next. I agree, most people make their decision based not on fact, but heresay. I'd stand my ground and go on the cruise I preferred. :)

I most likely would just walk away, I really don't care to argue with "ignorant" people. I have seen that they are experts at dragging you down to their level, and beating you with experience.

If I felt the need to comment, it would probably be to say "Bless Your Heart".

Amen! I don't waste my time with ignorant people. I don't care if they're extended family or not. I'll be civil and courteous, but there will be no conversation or discussion with them.

My MIL, who has been on one RC cruise and is generally well-informed and not crazy, saw a photo from our latest Carnival cruise and said, "Carnival, that's the ship where people always get norovirus. They had an outbreak on your cruise two weeks after you got back." DH politely said that all cruiselines occasionally have norovirus. She insisted, "Not Royal Caribbean!" I gently suggested she google that. I googled it myself and it turns out that the only reported norovirus outbreaks in the month after our cruise were on Celebrity and RC. :D

Friends at church, when trying to describe a really bad situation that you can't get out of, said, "It's like taking a Carnival cruise!" :rolleyes: Everyone laughed and shuddered except us. We decided not to mention that we were about to leave on our fifth Carnival cruise.

My parents are platinum on Princess. They'd like to cruise with us in a couple years. Princess sounds nice when we're retired. They said, "Let's compromise and go on Royal Caribbean." I wouldn't mind trying a new cruiseline, but I would prefer not to completely rule out the most affordable choice for a family of five during school vacations.

What do you say in each of these situations?

Sometimes people prefer to be uninformed about some things (I call this the Fox News crowd) if this is the case they will never cruise carnival with you. Best bet would be to either go RC with them or do carnival alone as you have already and have a good time.

Cruised on Carnival and Royal. Have no problem with either one. I do have to say that I ran into a few more snobby people on RCI, but they seemed to be some of the self-important high level loyalty members based on some of the comments heard from them. However, they certainly were not the majority of pax I ran into by any means. We had a large family promenade cabin, not a standard inside/oceanview, so can't compare cabin sizes fairly. I do have to say that the Freedom of the Seas is gorgeous, beds were comfortable, service was very good, though we noticed bar waitstaff in short supply. Dining room meals were very good, buffet not so much. We haven't been on a Carny cruise in 9 years, so things have changed I know, but my comparison of RCI today to Carnival of 9 years ago isn't terribly fair. We were just as pleased with RCI as we had been previously on Carny overall. RCI's activities did seem a bit more subdued than Carnival's, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - just a matter of preference.

I would say to book based on what you want personally, and book within your budget, if necessary. We ended up getting this RCI cruise for about the same price pp/pd as a comparable Carny cruise would have cost us - we would have been in a standard oceanview on Carny, and ended up getting the family promenade on Royal. This was important to us, as we are a family of 5, and felt the extra space of the Royal cabin would be worth it, and it was. While onboard, the NextCruise desk had an outstanding offer for 2nd, 3rd, 4th pax book at half price and with a $100 per cabin deposit, and a matching OBC to boot. We decided to book the upcoming cruise on an 8 day in an oceanview for 3 of us (leaving the girls at home for this one) for $2425 and a $100 OBC. I have also checked Carnival and found their current pricing on a comparable, though not identical cruise, in a standard outside cabin, 8 days, for anywhere from $2600 to $2800 depending on the specific cruise (BTW, prices were checked for the closest date to what we have booked). Of course, prices can and do change, but there can be deals out there to be found.

That said, I would have no problem booking another Carnival cruise, and I always compare the pricing to Carnival. We tried RCI this past time simply because we wanted to try something different, not due to any bad experiences. We booked our next one based on the pricing deal that we were offered through NextCruise. One after that may very well be on Carny, as the upcoming Vista looks very nice. We also check Disney prices, as the kids would love it, but I am a fairly devout Disney hater, and would much rather set my wallet on fire than give it to Disney. There is simply NO WAY I could EVER justify their pricing to keep a fat rat and his shareholders happy.

Sometimes people prefer to be uninformed about some things (I call this the Fox News crowd)

I certainly hope you're not referring to ABS, CBS, and NBS as "unbiased and informed news reporting." Would have to beg to differ on that - sorry.

I certainly hope you're not referring to ABS, CBS, and NBS as "unbiased and informed news reporting." Would have to beg to differ on that - sorry.

Most likely the poster thinks MSNBC is the best things since sliced bread. :rolleyes:

Well said. I liked the part best what you said about them indirectly insulting them and that they should tell them so. Great point.

People making the cesspool comments are both ignorant and arrogant.

I like this one because it is not "mean or ugly" but very truthful about what has been said to op and many of us by certain people about Carnival..

I love variety and everything...i love Wall mart and Nordstom and everything in between to look and buy... and yeah I asked for a Coach bag for my 50th and still carry it...as main bag not until 50 lol...but carry a Target one and bought a few great new and next to new on E Bay for a song for variety... finally...a 55 perk..LOL.

I have to get the best bang for my buck with some splurges in life just because that is my economy. I spent time in a city that was fancier than my upbringing so learned to covet some things...gratefully age and wisdom took over and a move back to home state of origin where life is simpler and cheaper (most of the time) . In 2009..not long after said move I put together a Paradise 4 day for one person with pre and post in California nights at 3.5 to 4 stars on Hotwire, a needed trip that saved me. Older ship, inside Ia..people form every economic level except the Bill Gates level as far as I could tell. The food this trip was excellent, the shows live and fun...not Broadway..did not expect that..but good singing, live bands and fun. The spa and room service lovely...perfect fruits all cut and chilled and homemade tasting croissants... Two fabulous spa services and "people" people at my 10 top fixed 6 PM dining...

I had had the snob report from my fancier city but not from my TA friend who for years took all the lines, sold them all, and often did a Carnival group for newbies and then helped them pick their next preferred line or cruise to try explaining each one's strengths and weaknesses.

I will always enjoy different everything and be a shopper as far as i know to date..if doing in that way and enough then I may worry about getting "status" on a couple of lines but time will tell.

There is no possible way Carnival can be bad for A) Keeping so many ships going and building new fun ones. B) Buying over the year several different lines that are distinctly different that people love. C) Keeping people people on all their ships both in terms of service personnel and fellow travelers.

I like the idea of trying a newer ship and spa cabin for your relatives OP...who are used to a bit more fancy of a ship if they are willing to try and if not..just be polite but firm in your quality and good value taste.

I am so glad I gave up this big Celebrity dream and just did Carnival at most affordable level I could...after Princess and Hal and others..not many but 5 lines I think. It had everything form fancy to simple that I needed and wanted and the best part..."people" people as a solo traveler. Their strength there keeps the loyalty and there is no price that buys that genuine feeling. Therefore making nice varied travel as accessible as possible to the middle and even lower middle income fortunate s that anyone is; who can travel at all. Lower middle I think of as service position jobs that never get paid what they are worth...teachers, counselors, police, social services etc.

I personally think the higher level one goes the service and perks can be awesome...but the quality of the people has a very small but higher chance of being unfriendly and snobbish...I think it is rare at any level of cruising because this kind of travel is for people people....but NOBODY does it like Carnival and C. breaks ice for the most reserved person with the right amount of spoiling and just fun together on the ship activity choices...at an awesome shopped (well still by me because all have deals out there for what one wants at time)...price point.

Yes a few things have gone down hill but in my opinion they are coming back up and plenty reports of excellent cruise vacations are here, consistently. That can not be done if something is not very very good. There is so much that is for everyone on Carnival and ability to do enough fancier things for a small upcharge along with so many tours and ports...the line just can not often be beat. I am not a cheer leader..just a shopper and C often wins.

Do not forget Chef's Table and Steakhouse or now Steakhouse options in dining room of ships that do not have one, as well as the spa on any ship..better on newer ship with all the sauna and soak options...but all are nice with nice services. These options kick everything up a notch often for a bit less than other line's similar upgrades!!!

Edited by sjn911

I would not call them unbiased but definatly more informed Fox more often then not is just down right lies.

My MIL, who has been on one RC cruise and is generally well-informed and not crazy, saw a photo from our latest Carnival cruise and said, "Carnival, that's the ship where people always get norovirus. They had an outbreak on your cruise two weeks after you got back." DH politely said that all cruiselines occasionally have norovirus. She insisted, "Not Royal Caribbean!" I gently suggested she google that. I googled it myself and it turns out that the only reported norovirus outbreaks in the month after our cruise were on Celebrity and RC. :D

Friends at church, when trying to describe a really bad situation that you can't get out of, said, "It's like taking a Carnival cruise!" :rolleyes: Everyone laughed and shuddered except us. We decided not to mention that we were about to leave on our fifth Carnival cruise.

My parents are platinum on Princess. They'd like to cruise with us in a couple years. Princess sounds nice when we're retired. They said, "Let's compromise and go on Royal Caribbean." I wouldn't mind trying a new cruiseline, but I would prefer not to completely rule out the most affordable choice for a family of five during school vacations.

I'd ask if they ever cruised on a Carnival ship.

• 3 weeks later...

It has had it's share of issues that affected thousands of passengers and made headlines for more than a day or so.

As a result, it now has that label.

You might indicated that you understand that it cleaned up it's mess.

Edited by eponym

I tell them the same thing I say when people ask me how I like living in a small, town full of strawberry farmers. I tell them it is horrible, you wouldn't like it.

Then I look out my window at the beautiful horses running around on the property behind me and smile.

I really don't need to try any other cruise line because at this point in my life Carnival is perfect for me and my wife. People will say you are missing out by not trying other cruise lines. I say ignorance is bliss and I am totally happy with the Carnival experience. It truly is the Fun Ship.

Yes I am a cheerleader and proud of it.

I vote for ignorance is bliss.

1. I won't travel/cruise/vacation with extended family

2. We tried RCL, if I'm going to pay more, then I want disney, there was nothing worth the addtional price on RCL, granted it may have been our ship, but it was full of old people, smokers, and just overall we weren't impressed with the service/quality. Yes, it had some good points (escargot was the BEST, kids pool/slide, toy lending, decent open hours in nursary (only, not in kid's club)). The room was TINY compared to Disney, we didn't even pull the couch bed out all the way, there was no way to walk around the couch/bed. The couch was too small/short, for my 3 year old to lay on it as a couch (which would have been ideal, given the size of the room).

I do suggest trying other lines, I think it's good. BUT not it'll break your budget.

A carnival cruise is better than no cruise! If someone says something about carnival, ask which line they enjoy, if they say they've never cruised...there ya go.

Okay so you've compared Royal Caribbean and Disney but answer this question have you been on a Carnival cruise? After all that is the subject of this thread. Those of us who have been on a Carnival Cruise know it is not just a lot better than no cruise but in fact a lot better than most cruises.

I would simply say, to each his own... We have cruised Carnival, Celebrity, RCI, and Disney... All have their good and bad points, but I would say some of our best cruises have been on Carnival. Let them cruise elsewhere, more room for me and my family.

I hear the same things and sadly, most of the stuck up snobs who talk bad about Carnival, have never even been on one of their ships, so I mostly choose to ignore their ignorance in the matter....

Well said, I also find that most people who bad mouth Carnival have never actually sailed on Carnival. Their loss they are missing out on a great time. They can always go on a cruise line like NCL and get nickel and dimed to death.

Edited by knight2096

I've traveled on several different cruise lines but keep going back to Carnival because it's where I've had the most fun and I think they have the best food. I also have to say that the staff on Carnival is friendlier than the other lines. For the most part, though, most lines are pretty much the same to me with the exception of the décor.

I've been able to find a deal each and every time on every line. For instance, my 14 day Panama Canal cruise on HAL was $700 per person for an outside cabin. I am a bargain hunter and a sucker for a sale.

When someone mentions that Carnival is sub-standard in any way, I've always asked if they've traveled on Carnival. The answer, every time, was no! It's ridiculous.

Not all short cruises on Carnival are cesspool either. I loved my 4 day out of Long Beach, mostly lovely people on a needed short vacation...early June..lots of graduates with their families..just great fun at everything...no obnoxious drunks were witnessed by by myself...had a great time doing lots of shows..karaoke..spa..serenity..set 6 Pm dining with great group..we made our own cabin crawl...loved Catalina and Ensenada and that Paradise cruise.

Edited by sjn911