Playlist Productions and Live Shows

Raxter54

Being a newbie to Carnival, I was wondering what the difference was between Playlist Productions and the live shows on the ships. I guess the Dream only has the live shows - what are they like? Our first cruise was on Royal Caribbean, and we enjoyed the live shows on the Serenade. Hopefully Carnival has good shows too :)

The new productions that Carnival is moving to eliminate the live band in favor of recorded sound, eliminate traditional backdrops in favor of a LED backdrop, and reduce the number of dancers/performers to six or so. Ken

The new productions that Carnival is moving to eliminate the live band in favor of recorded sound, eliminate traditional backdrops in favor of a LED backdrop, and reduce the number of dancers/performers to six or so. Ken

Actually the performers on playlist are 8.

Playlist is a major step backwards compared to what they used to do.

Diva's show is a lot of flashing lights one of the best migraine triggers ever.

Actually the performers on playlist are 8.

Playlist is a major step backwards compared to what they used to do.

Most of the new shows have the flashing/laser lights that seem to get into everyone's eyes no matter where you sit.

I agree the shows are a step backwards. On the Miracle, the soundtracks overpowered the singers. Miss the live bands at the shows.

For the '80's Pop to the Max show, the choreography was a rip off off the music videos.

Hi to you and Sheila.

Most of the new shows have the flashing/laser lights that seem to get into everyone's eyes no matter where you sit.

I agree the shows are a step backwards. On the Miracle, the soundtracks overpowered the singers. Miss the live bands at the shows.

For the '80's Pop to the Max show, the choreography was a rip off off the music videos.

Hi to you and Sheila.

Actually this is Sheila, Stu doesnt post here anymore. Say hi to your mom.

BTW we booked another Hawaii cruise for this December but this time on Princess. Was so sad that just after we got off the Miracle they were destroying all the props for Ticket to Ride.

People who cruise multiple cruiselines have mostly said that Carnival's shows (before Playlist) are pretty bad by comparison to other lines. Despite that criticism, Carnival decided to make it even worse for themselves with these new Playlist shows. I personally have liked what Carnival used to have, with the live band, real props, 14+ performers, & an hour long. A few ships still have them, like the Dream, which has the best show in the fleet--Dancing in the Streets, plus 2 other great production shows. The new style shows could be done better than what I've seen, and a small minority of people will actually even prefer these shows. But if you liked the shows on Royal, then you will likely be very disappointed with Playlist. The term basically says it all. There is a list, and they press play. That's what the shows feel like.

There can be up to 8 performers for the Playlist shows, but I've heard reports that some ships only have 4. There were 7 on my Playlist sailing. So it's anywhere from 4 to 8.

Edited by k2excursion

I agree 100% DIVA'S is the worst of the worst.

Just returned from a B2B aboard "Valor" where they still offer REAL shows, and found both of the shows aboard that ship to be pretty good. HEAD and SHOULDERS above any of the "Playlist Production" shows I've seen. :cool:

"SKY"

I agree 100% DIVA'S is the worst of the worst.

Just returned from a B2B aboard "Valor" where they still offer REAL shows, and found both of the shows aboard that ship to be pretty good. HEAD and SHOULDERS above any of the "Playlist Production" shows I've seen. :cool:

"SKY"

Were doing the Valor again early next year and hopefully they will keep the shows they are having now.

I have a divergent view! I really loved the 88 Keys Playlist show on the Miracle! I thought the cast ,(who sang and danced very well) were terrific and the energy and vibrancy of the show was much better than the old ones!! I thought the lasers added to the excitement!

I look forward to more of them on my next cruise!

"Karaoke"??? NO the singers sing and they dance too.

There are just no live musicians. The music is canned not the singing!

Whenever I've watched karaoke, the music was canned and the people attempting to sing were live - and a few even tried dancing :D

Really? If you haven't seen the shows then I wouldn't comment on them. If you've seen them and don't like them well that is different.

I have seen Karaoke and the shows are nothing like amateur nite with songs and words playing for the singers.

These are professionals with great voices and great energy who also dance well! You may turn up your nose at it but I loved it!! I've seen Broadway productions on Broadway and the old shows were nothing close to off Broadway (IMO). These don't pretend to be Broadway but they are entertaining which is the main purpose! If you want Broadway pay over $100 for a ticket and go to NYC!