Woman who secretly gave birth on cruise to plead guilty to involuntary manslaughter

She didn't kill the baby, sounds like it was still born or dead after birth. I'm assuming she just freaked out? IDk...i can't imagine not knowing, then having a dead baby..

plus, this was in 2011? why posting this now?

The baby wasn't stillborn. The autopsy results specifically state the the baby was born alive and that the cause of death was her failure to seek out medical treatment after giving birth.

I doubt carnival can straight up ask you, miss, are you pregnant? how far along?

oh, you're just fat? I'm sorry miss....can you pee on a stick to prove that?

yeah...no.

Yes, they can. All women are required to disclose if they are pregnant. Now, it would take some serious guts to ask if someone appears pregnant and could just be over weight but visibly pregnant is too far along to be on ship.

And...I might sleep in that cabin coming up on our cruise? I'm pulling the plug from cruising on that ship today. Way outside the bounds of normalcy, and so gross I can't believe what this woman did.

As I recall from the time, the next cruise they totally redid the cabin...don't remember where I read that as it's been two years but of course all the bedding(mattress etc) and the carpet were replaced.

She didn't kill the baby, sounds like it was still born or dead after birth. I'm assuming she just freaked out? IDk...i can't imagine not knowing, then having a dead baby..

plus, this was in 2011? why posting this now?

It happened then...the death of the baby, but she was just convicted. For a much lesser sentence than I think it should be.

She left that baby, who was breathing wrapped in a towel under the bed and went off to have a grand time on St Maarten. Having given birth, I can't figure out how she could even do that, especially with no one noticing and no medical care. there's a lot of "stuff" going on down there after giving birth. How did she hide THAT?? Were her friends drunk the whole time?

I doubt carnival can straight up ask you, miss, are you pregnant? how far along?

oh, you're just fat? I'm sorry miss....can you pee on a stick to prove that?

yeah...no.

Reprinted from CCL page

Pregnant Guests who enter the 24th week of estimated fetal gestational age at any time during the cruise will not be allowed to sail.

Pregnant women who have not entered the 24th week of estimated fetal gestational age at any time during the cruise, must submit, prior to departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying that her gestational status is in accordance with this policy, and that the expecting mother is fit to sail. It is the Guest’s responsibility to provide this pregnancy certification form to her physician and to follow up with its timely completion and submittal to Carnival no later than 14 days prior to sailing. Failure to submit the completed form will result in denial of boarding and no compensation will be provided.

Edited by limoguy1

I've been present at two births, and unless this woman did an amazing job cleaning up, I doubt that nobody would've ever known anything about it.

Those double or triple negatives have me confounded.

She should have gotten more then just 8 years. It just amazes me the things that people do. :mad:

I'm pissed that the prosecutor agreed to a plea that only included a MAX of 8 years.

Overreacting much? It's been over 2 and a half years since that happened. The only reason someone posted it today is because the trial has just concluded last month.

No, I'm not overreacting at all. I didn't know until the conviction news was recently published.

Edited by eponym

Yes, they can. All women are required to disclose if they are pregnant. Now, it would take some serious guts to ask if someone appears pregnant and could just be over weight but visibly pregnant is too far along to be on ship.

It might could be added to the health surveys.

She left that baby, who was breathing wrapped in a towel under the bed and went off to have a grand time on St Maarten. Having given birth, I can't figure out how she could even do that, especially with no one noticing and no medical care. there's a lot of "stuff" going on down there after giving birth. How did she hide THAT?? Were her friends drunk the whole time?

So, she wrapped a newborn in a towel and stuffed it under the bed. Very likely that child died of air flow restrictions/complications, dehydration and starving.

Have we ever heard of similar news on any other brand?

Edited by eponym

Those double or triple negatives have me confounded.

Considering that English is not my first language, I am shocked that I make sense half the time when I write. [emoji14]

Do you feel the same way when you write in other languages?

If she had been smart enough to throw the baby overboard she wouldn't have gotten 8 years...this makes me soooooo sick... She will answer to higher judge...

You really think this case will make it to a federal or the supreme court? No other higher judge out there.

This is sad

You really think this case will make it to a federal or the supreme court? No other higher judge out there.

This is sad

I think she was referring to 'him upstairs'.

Really sad news, although I do have some concern for what drives people to do this and its upsetting she felt there was no way out. Not saying her actions were right and she deserves time but horrible for all involved.

Also worried about that cabin bathroom, its not sanitary for a room steward to clean a bathroom with that much body fluid residue (unseen) without gloves and unknowingly as well.

I think she was referring to 'him upstairs'.

Really sad news, although I do have some concern for what drives people to do this and its upsetting she felt there was no way out. Not saying her actions were right and she deserves time but horrible for all involved.

Also worried about that cabin bathroom, its not sanitary for a room steward to clean a bathroom with that much body fluid residue (unseen) without gloves and unknowingly as well.

I knew what they meant, but my anti theist self just felt like being facetious.

She didn't know she was pregnant according to the story. And who knows how far along she was cause it doesn't day that. There are a lot of factors here. And while I don't think that what she did was right, I'm sure there's more to the story.