Roatan, Belize, or Cozumel- best for snorkeling?

MaiTaiMary

We are going to do a Western Caribbean cruise. Our first time. :) We will be doing a snorkeling trip at one more (at least) ports. Which out of those three would be the best for snorkeling?

I would opt for Roatan, either at West End Beach (Tabyana), Little French Key (small boat) or Maya Key (at the end of the pier).

There was also a 2 stop cruise excursion by catamaran in Roatan that had nice viewing.

I did enjoy my first trip to Shark Ray Alley off San Pedro in Belize over 10 yrs ago. Now the excursion called Shark Ray Alley goes to Caye Caulker. If you like standing in shallow waist high water while sting rays and nurse sharks glide about, that might be the excursion for you.

Cozumel has crystal clear waters, but many snorkel spots have been damaged by recent hurricanes. Places like Chakkunab feature coral half dead.

JMO.

We are getting ready to do this cruise May 30. Our first. But, I have done TONS of research on snorkeling, and almost everyone echoes PP evanbob's and sunsetglows thoughts. Roatan for snorkeling. We chose tabyana Beach. Hate to miss the water in Belize, but Dd15 is excited about Mayan Ruins and River Wallace, and the reviews just aren't too exciting there about snorkeling....and then Cozumel we are going to Chankanaab. Most excited about Roatan.

Edited by Ourfamilyof4

thanks! :D

Is there a Carnival excursion that goes to West End Beach? Or is that something to do on our own?

Check out Victor Bodden tours in Roatan. He offer a number of options including a private tour. We're booked for the Zip-n-Dip when we go in June. It'll be our second visit and 2nd time with this tour operator.

So "West End Beach", "West Bay Beach", and "Tabyana Beach" are all the same thing?

I found this excursion:

http://www.carnival.com/shore-excursions/mahogany-bay-isla-roatan/tabyana-beach-break-518012#

Has anybody done this?

Basically $40/pp for transportation to the beach?

Are there restaurants along this beach to buy drinks/food?

The $39 or $40 will get you to Tabyana Beach and back, as well as give you a lounger and access to facilities like bathrooms and showers, but drinks and food are extra. There will be a "guard" to watch over your stuff when you go into the water or stroll the beach. He or she will appreciate a few bucks as you leave. There are several gift shops near the drop off point, I suggest you get some local coffee to bring home!

I am leaving Saturday for another week at Infinity Bay, the hotel next to Tabyana. After 10 or so cruise stops, I decided I wanted a longer experience at this magical beach.

Enjoy!

Edited by evandbob

Carnival does a good job providing transportation to Tabyana Beach. There is food and drink available. Snorkeling is excellent. Belize is also very good, but I never book just the shark Ally going independent also gets in excellent snorkeling on a trail. Carnival's tour- Snorkeling of the Barrier Reef at Rendezvous Caye is also very good.

I don't spend my money any longer on Cozumel snorkeling. The reefs are dead, they do not promote environmental issues and it's overall crappy snorkeling, in my opinion.

Belize, hands down. It is the second largest barrier reef system! Plus, for the scuba divers, it's home to the big blue hole. The tour picked us up right at the ship and took us to an area where there was plenty of coral, fish, but the day I was there , the swells were high. Didn't stop us!

This has nothing to do with your question, but I went on this cruise 2yrs ago. We donate blood as often as possible, when we went to donate after the trip to Roatan we were told we had to wait 1yr after going to that island. FYI

Roatan, West End Beach, Tabyana, one of the best beach trips. The reef comes up very close to the surface towards the south end of the beach and not much of a swim off shore it really drops off.

Another vote for Tabayna Beach. No boat, no group. You can just walk into the water and see amazing fish. We always go there and snorkel for hours. If you're brave, you can swim out to the "Nemo Moment". Be sure to walk down to BananaRama and get a Monkey La La. Best drink ever!

roatan... tabayna beach is great.. just get a cab... no need for a tour..you can walk along the beach and p lenty of bars to get a drink or bite to eat

Cozumel and Roatan IMO. We did the Tabyana beach excursion last yr thru Carnival. One of the most beautiful beaches with awesome snorkeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

I've snorkeled all three and enjoyed them all.

Cozumel head to the Money Bar, the reef is a couple of hundred feet offshore, not the best but you can come across some great fish. Doesn't cost anything to use the place. Just watch the current.

Belize search for Cay Caulker snorkel trips, they take you to the island for a p stop and then you head out to the outer reef, they will take you out and bring you back, excellent reef, then they take you back to the island for a break.

Roatan, West Beach, the water is beautiful and there is no current. Last time we were there only 7 of us on the boat, 2 x 1 hour sessions and probably number 1 of my 5 favorite spots.

So "West End Beach", "West Bay Beach", and "Tabyana Beach" are all the same thing?

Tabyana is on Wast Bay Beach, but they're not the same as West End. While West End is nice, and it has a beach, it doesn't have a nearby reef for nice snorkeling. :cool:

I've snorkeled all three and enjoyed them all.

Cozumel head to the Money Bar, the reef is a couple of hundred feet offshore, not the best but you can come across some great fish. Doesn't cost anything to use the place. Just watch the current.

Belize search for Cay Caulker snorkel trips, they take you to the island for a p stop and then you head out to the outer reef, they will take you out and bring you back, excellent reef, then they take you back to the island for a break.

Roatan, West Beach, the water is beautiful and there is no current. Last time we were there only 7 of us on the boat, 2 x 1 hour sessions and probably number 1 of my 5 favorite spots.

Personally I had problems with bugs in Roaten everyone there was coming out of the water covered in little red welts. We decided they were no-seeums although they did not itch. Check out my travel Blog www.atouristlife.com

• 3 weeks later...

We have not been to Belize but have snorkeled at Cozumel and Roatan. Roatan is definitely superior. In January a group from our roll call but together a charter with Radical Adventures and it was outstanding. The catamaran is owned and operated by a Canadian couple who have a crew of locals aboard. As I recall there were 11 of us and we all left feeling very good about our experience.

http://www.svfreeradical.com/#_=_