Triumph review--April 2015 with Fun Times

Great cruise on the Triumph at the end of April. Fun Times below.

THE SHIP

The ship is in good condition. Is it spotless? No. Is it in good condition that should not affect your vacation? Yes. Are there areas that could be refurbished and cleaned? Yes. Did it bother me? Not at all. The room (inside) was clean, roomy as expected and had a decent amount of storage. The bathroom is a little small but everyone knows that going in. The shower had great pressure and water temperature was never a problem. The ship has many nice amenities including Guy's Burgers, Wifi, slide, decent air conditioning, and the large video screen.

wejqbDSm.jpg?1

SERVICE

Our room stewards were great and kept the room cleaned. We brought a small cooler and left a note the first day that we would like ice in it. It was never without ice after that. Staff was always friendly and had smiles on.

FOOD

The food was good. Guy's burgers were awesome. Very efficient and never more than a couple minutes wait. I tried every one and was not disappointed. The Blue Iguana, Chinese food and sandwich deli were also very good. The Pizza Pirate was a big hit with the family and had Peperoni, Funghi, Margerhita, and Quatro (four cheese). All of the pizzas were good and there was never more than a 10 minute wait for the type you wanted. The buffets were always well stocked and provided a good selection of food. You should not go hungry.

We had ATD and never had a wait. Dining room dress was very relaxed even during the "elegant" night. Saw very few suits and ties. Some slacks and jeans even shorts. Don't care what you are wearing just so long you bathe regularly :eek: The food was ok except for the flat iron steak. Poor quality meat that did not taste good. Sent it back and got the fried chicken. The lobster and prime rib on elegant night were good. The only thing that would make it better would be seasoning. Cooking for that many people usually means bland food. I suggest bringing your own seasoning to spice things up. I forgot to. :mad:

PORTS

In Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach a ten minute cab ride away. $3 to get in and $15 for water toys ($18 together). I suggest checking the wave action before buying the toys bracelet if you have kids because it can be very rough and dangerous with the giant inflatable toys moving around. There are lots of rocks in the water. I also suggest water socks. Buckets of beer are $18. for 4.

In Progreso we walked the beach and had the bar vulchers compete for our business. We ended up at Tommy's beach and let the kids play in the water. Beer buckets were $10 for 5 beers with a small bag of chips with guacamole and pico. After the beach we shopped a little in the flea market where the busses drop you off. You will hear "amigo" and "massage" at least 100 times an hour. They are persistent but friendly. Just wave the vendors off if you don't want to be bothered but if you make eye contact or ask a question you will hounded for a little while. Prices are much better in Progreso than Cozumel.

Embarkation/Disembarkation

We had staggered times for boarding due to the smaller terminal 2. Plenty of porters available. Security did check every box of drinks and water as well as close scrutiny of any wine bottles. I did not see any pat downs and rum runners made it on in pockets:) The whole process took at least 45 minutes at 12:30pm. Disembarkation was very easy. We did self assist and was off the boat by 9:00am and through customs by 9:15. It would have been faster if the stupid lady in front of us had not forgotten where she put her passport. In the car 10 minutes later headed home. I suggest hiring a porter right after getting of the ship and follow his lead.

Overall the cruise was a lot of fun. The ship is in good shape and there are plenty of things to do. The worst part is time flies when on the ship. It goes even faster while in port. The movies at night were a lot of fun. I did not see any problems with chairs not being available. If you want a "good spot" get there early. Don't expect to get a "good spot" rolling up at noon on a sunny sea day. You can find deck chairs. There are a lot of them. It just depends on where you want to be. The music was good and thankfully the country music was at a minimum. If you want to see something amazing....go check out the karaoke with the people who really believe they can be on the Voice.:rolleyes:

I'll try to answer questions if you post in the thread.

funtimes depart.pdf

Fun Times sea day 1.pdf

Fun Times Cozumel.pdf

Fun Times Progreso.pdf

Fun Times sea day 2.pdf

Edited by fatboydave666
add pics

Thank you for posting this. I am leaving on the 18th and it will be my first ever cruise. Reading the positives really makes me even more excited. Rum runners in the pocket? Never thought of that. :)

Edited by Tissa

We went to one comedy show. It was about 30 minutes and pretty funny. Comedian was Azeem. He did a good job. The shows were in a lounge that is fairly large but was filled up for the show we went to. Wish we could have seen more.

Trying to load pics but can't figure out how to do it. Very frustrating!:mad:

We went to one comedy show. It was about 30 minutes and pretty funny. Comedian was Azeem. He did a good job. The shows were in a lounge that is fairly large but was filled up for the show we went to. Wish we could have seen more.

Trying to load pics but can't figure out how to do it. Very frustrating!:mad:

Sounds great we love comedians [emoji1]

Oh was there any sewage smell on the ship?

I have smelled sewerage smells on every ship I have been on with CCL and RCL. Nothing more than a whiff here and there on the Triumph. Nothing to be concerned about. the ship is nice, the staff is great, you will enjoy your cruise.

Thanks for the review. Is it just me or are the fun times upside down? Any way to fix that? We are going on the Triumph in August

When it opens in .pdf, click on "view," then click on "rotate view," and pick either clockwise or counter-clockwise. You'll be able to see it turn and read it.

Thanks for posting the Fun Times. We're normally Disney Cruisers taking our first Carnival Cruise in December and info has not been as readily available on Carnival compared to Disney. One question... I see some ships have a free area where you can sign into to get to Carnival's site to download the Fun Times, see Deck Maps, check ship info, etc. Do they have that available on the Triumph? Any other tips, info you can give me on the Triumph would be really helpful. Thanks again!

Thanks for the review! We'll be on her in just 2 MORE DAYS(!!) and there hasn't been a lot of info on cruise critic about her recently. I may have to do a review when we get back!

Glad you had a great time!

Thanks for the review! We'll be on the Triumph in 137 days and I'm a little nervous, as we've never done a 5 day before, always 7 day, and never been on anything other than the Magic, I'm worried about being on a smaller ship and a shorter itinerary. Sounds like you had a good time!